Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClockworkOrange

Something I never thought I would gripe about

Hey Crowfaller's,

Jon here (Env Lead)

I just wanted to give you guys a quick update on the current and future state of the Environment. 

First off, all of these comments are definitely valid feedback and trust me when I say this we agree with most all of them. We see all your feed back and understand your concerns. 

Here is just a brief explanation on our process and why...

The challenge we have as a small dev team is that we can't just throw 50-100 artist to a given area(Man O man I wish we could). We have to do things in a lot more deliberate , methodical process.Think of it as stages (every game and team size goes through something like this). Each stage we set out a task, complete said task, then move on to the next stage(or pass) of that task. The environment falls very heavy under this. For the last year and half we have been working on the tech to allow parcel placement. The ability to pick up, rotate, move and place multiple parcels sounds so simple,right? Turns out, it is far, far from simple. 

A lot of time and effort as gone into this parcel feature. So early on we knew we would go through heavy, heavy testing on this functionally. We went down a list and decided what was needed or required for the environment to get us to a testing phase. (meaning not finished or final polished art). Long story short. This is effectively what you're seeing in the game right now.  

Once the engineering team got what they needed for testing purposes (basically what you see in the game now). We focused on building houses, forts, temples, props (basically a bunch of objects to be placed in the game that we haven't shown a lot of yet). Now that we have our tech working for parcels and we have a lot of the initial objects done, I have been back knee deep in taking the Environments to the next stage. Please remember though, it's a tad slower of a process since we're such a smaller team and still in a pre-alpha state. I am not trying to make any excuses though. Again, all of your concerns are valid. I read all of them. You will always have a voice here on these forms if I have anything to say about it!!

Here is a quick outline and goals for the next step in Env:
  • Updated lighting/ Near final
  • Camera Effects (AO,AA, SSR...)
  • More/ new vegetation
  • New/updated TerrainTextures
  • New Terrain Objects
  • More varied Terrain types
  • New clouds and sky
  • Day night cycle
  • Updated water
  • Seasons

...and I am probably forgetting some.  In a nutshell, I hear you and I want you to know that we are committed to making the environment look as good as we possibly can.  
Thanks for all your feed back, please keep it up. It will only make our game that much better. 

Have a great day!

-Jon

Jon O'Neal, Lead Environment Artist, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Thanks for the update Jon!  We would all love to see more Environmental objects in the near future.  Could you possibly take over the Crowfall stream for a live demo on some of the work in progress in the near future?  I'd love to see how the Forts and Castle are turning out.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

I know this isnt part of enviorment but you mentioned the camera, any one else dislike how the camera jumps around when goong in and put of combat/putting your weapons away.

It feels janky and weird to control when also moving, panning etc. i wish it would just stay where it is like normal

MOkvLlm.png

I know this isnt part of enviorment but you mentioned the camera, any one else dislike how the camera jumps around when goong in and put of combat/putting your weapons away.

It feels janky and weird to control when also moving, panning etc. i wish it would just stay where it is like normal

Yeah, that always seems very herky-jerky when playing a knight.

This brings up an issue that occurred to me when compiling some data on the crafting materials. Currently the crafting and skill system refer to the following wood sources/trees: Knottwood, Oak, Birch, Spruce, Ash and Yew. Obvious we aren't interested in a level of realism that would prevent you from putting a particular type of tree - say an Oak - in a biome-type that it would never be found in, but, if we are lucky enough to end up with varied environments, tundra, desert etc, how will this play out in terms of the existing Tree-types? We can't have an Oak standing in a desert, or a Spruce tree in a barren tundra.

It's not purely cosmetic, as these are resources, and are referenced, represented and required throughout the entire system, in the recipes, skills and so on. Has this been factored in or will we be limited to environments that can realistically support the Tree-types that were chosen...

Maybe there will be 10 more types of trees, and skill lines and nodes pertaining to these as well. Or we're just going to have to let some biome inconsistency slide. :)

Maybe there will be 10 more types of trees, and skill lines and nodes pertaining to these as well. Or we're just going to have to let some biome inconsistency slide. :)

During the last Reddit AMA I asked about getting different biomes but ACE advised they will only bring other ones into the game some time after the launch.  It's not something to look forward to in upcoming alpha's/beta's unfortunately.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

I have to say. Of all the issue with crowfall and its various systems......The look of the game is the least of them i am worried about.

A 'pretty' game may get you a cash grab but its the content that keeps you a player base.

I hate using WoW as an example for anything but its literally the perfect example for this. The game looks like garbage. Even when it was first released i laughed at it and said it looked janky and cartoony. 

Visual stimulus is the first thing a person gets use to and jaded with, it doesn't last. 

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

The challenge we have as a small dev team is that we can't just throw 50-100 artist to a given area(Man O man I wish we could).

What's ur full Cf team now? Last I heard 32! Great work for small team thus far keep up the good. I'll wait.

Edited by Muta

The challenge we have as a small dev team is that we can't just throw 50-100 artist to a given area(Man O man I wish we could).

What's ur full Cf team now? Last I heard 32! Great work for small team thus far keep up the good. I'll wait.

At the time these assets for parcel testing were made (what's in there now). Just me. I now have one other. Mr. A A ron (Aaron). So I'm doing the best I can with what I got. 

We have some idea's for slowly expanding the Env team: More interns, Out sourcing, contracted, that sort of thing.

Bottom line. I am working hard on getting these Environments up to snuff. I can't wait to show you some of this new stuff. All in good time ;)

Jon O'Neal, Lead Environment Artist, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook