Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TELEPORTERS!

Mezcon

What if you were able to craft teleporters so that you could travel instantly to certain locations that are under the control of your faction or your guild?  we had something like that in landmark where you had a crystal, like a hearthstone where you could travel to either the temple or your claim.  That would work really well in crowfall and would cut serious travel time out....with obvious need for use cooldowns.  it was like....a half hour wait to use those crystals again in Landmark.  And these devices could be destructible if they were big enough to be placed in the world like any other object. 

EDIT - Additional thoughts: A teleport device could be used as a spawn location.  So instead of being a teleporter, it would be an additional spawn point besides the temple.  like a portable temple...in fact that's what I would call it!  A portable temple!  :)

Edited by Mezcon

They won't do this for numerous reasons. The primary one being that if you make instant-travel possible, you've effectively eliminated the concept of travel times. Being forced to travel the world to deliver raw resources to your base, is one of the few major conflict points in the game. Allowing instanteous travel is just a bad idea for a game that thrives on allowing people to intercept you and your raw resources.

Imagine a siege where the defenders get food teleported into them whenever they run low. Its less a siege and more just noise on the other side of your walls.

What if you were able to craft teleporters so that you could travel instantly to certain locations that are under the control of your faction or your guild?  we had something like that in landmark where you had a crystal, like a hearthstone where you could travel to either the temple or your claim.  That would work really well in crowfall and would cut serious travel time out....with obvious need for use cooldowns.  it was like....a half hour wait to use those crystals again in Landmark.  And these devices could be destructible if they were big enough to be placed in the world like any other object.

This kind of travel option (dependent of guild/faction controlled POI) plus a autorun function would lesser this annoyance!

Setting up Gates/Teleportation Nodes is a good idea, it can also have strategic implications which is also good.  It says nothing about making them free to build so if you are willing to invest the resources it should be possible.  

Crowfall Division Captain (The Older Gamers) <TOG> - http://www.theoldergamers.com/

Personal Website - http://www.mmo-report.com

They won't do this for numerous reasons. The primary one being that if you make instant-travel possible, you've effectively eliminated the concept of travel times. Being forced to travel the world to deliver raw resources to your base, is one of the few major conflict points in the game. Allowing instanteous travel is just a bad idea for a game that thrives on allowing people to intercept you and your raw resources.

Imagine a siege where the defenders get food teleported into them whenever they run low. Its less a siege and more just noise on the other side of your walls.

I understand.  I was going to try to think of a comeback...but this kind of system only hinders the caravan system...so ya, nevermind.  they can close this thread. lol. 

Edited by Mezcon

I understand.  I was going to try to think of a comeback...but this kind of system only hinders the caravan system...so ya, nevermind.  they can close this thread. lol. 

It is a good thing to bring up ideas from time to time, even older ones. During development a lot of things change and you never know. Things that didn't fit before might fit then. Or even if not, they might lead to new interesting ideas. So it's good to talk about.

It's even better not to follow a specific idea with stone carved blinkers on, but to keep the eyes open and to be willing to follow what seems to make most sense at the moment. I very much appreciate this mindset and couldn't help but had to show my respect for your posting. :)

It is a good thing to bring up ideas from time to time, even older ones. During development a lot of things change and you never know. Things that didn't fit before might fit then. Or even if not, they might lead to new interesting ideas. So it's good to talk about.

It's even better not to follow a specific idea with stone carved blinkers on, but to keep the eyes open and to be willing to follow what seems to make most sense at the moment. I very much appreciate this mindset and couldn't help but had to show my respect for your posting. :)

Thank you!  :)  I get ideas every now and then.  See my edited post above as I finally tuned my idea to the right wording - Portable temples!  :D

Edited by Mezcon

EDIT - Additional thoughts: A teleport device could be used as a spawn location.  So instead of being a teleporter, it would be an additional spawn point besides the temple.  like a portable temple...in fact that's what I would call it!  A portable temple!  :)

There was several talks about Spawn in Guild/Faction POIs like Keeps for example. That i believe we will get ;)

Make "Temples" at certain positions in the game which are "capturable" thus becomming POI.

For example : Scorn Map.

- Place a cappable temple in the center of the map, which is at a closer distance to the opposing factions. Making u want to cap the temple before opposing a faction... simply the worth in shorter run time is a big incentive to go for this POI...

Or down this train of thought ....

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

Make "Temples" at certain positions in the game which are "capturable" thus becomming POI.

For example : Scorn Map.

- Place a cappable temple in the center of the map, which is at a closer distance to the opposing factions. Making u want to cap the temple before opposing a faction... simply the worth in shorter run time is a big incentive to go for this POI...

Or down this train of thought ....

My only issue with that is that temples serve as spawn points, which means players would come out of that with no gear on.  and if they were near the opposing faction, they would be at higher risk of being ganked by enemy players.  So, I don't think that is a good idea.  they could do what games like Starcraft 2 and Halo wars did, and put in a POI like a ore drill or a statue that rewards stats in the middle of the map or in several key places on the map, and capturing these would give you additional ore, resources or buffs for your faction(Order, Balance, Chaos) or Guilds. They did say that Crowfall aims to have strategy game elements in it, so this could easily be done for certain campaign rules in Crowfall.   

Edited by Mezcon

My only issue with that is that temples serve as spawn points, which means players would come out of that with no gear on.    

​Make it possible to choose which Temple to spawn from minimum of 200 m away.

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

My only issue with that is that temples serve as spawn points, which means players would come out of that with no gear on. 

The temples could be death transfer sites.  If you drink from the fountain in front of the main god (need to add a fountain in front of the main god), you die, and instead of swapping vessels go crow form, and can choose a valid temple to respawn at/fly to.

Doing this gives you a durability hit, same or maybe a bit less than pulling your body from the field, so you don't do it lightly.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

The temples could be death transfer sites.  If you drink from the fountain in front of the main god (need to add a fountain in front of the main god), you die, and instead of swapping vessels go crow form, and can choose a valid temple to respawn at/fly to.

So that kind of sounds like in Battlefield 1 where when you died you were able to choose where you spawn at...and that might be workable in certain campaigns, as long as your inventories get lost in the attempt.  Otherwise, again, that risks players having unfair advantages and being able to just skip using caravans.  But ya that might be possible.

Setting up Gates/Teleportation Nodes is a good idea, it can also have strategic implications which is also good.  It says nothing about making them free to build so if you are willing to invest the resources it should be possible.  

Nah.

No teleport nodes at all.  That way when teleport hackers show up they'll be easier to spot. (tongue in cheek)

Or something like that.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin