Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nivhawk

Frostweaver - What we know & our ideal concepts

The Frostweaver forum has so little love but we're approaching the FINAL FOUR ARCHETYPES--- That means we've waited long enough to share our giddy ideas and concepts for the Frostweaver. 

What we know: (please feel free to comment so we can add to this)

• Lore page
  • Current combat description: Ranged DPS (magic) - attributes below (Probably not updated with the dev's current vision?)

18d8bb28f0306e9d8e522a72c38e1868.png

• Most current weapon concept: Kusarigama (1/18/17) (not an official ACE concept image) - Melee? Mid-range?
  • Current Design Status: Not revisited since Kick-starter. Devs are looking to use her as a balance between the ratio of melee to caster archetypes.

-----------------------------

QUESTIONS
What sort of combat style would you like to see from her? What are your thoughts on her weapon (kusarigama?). Whats your ideal balance between spells and abilities for her- what types of promotions? Are there any systems currently in-game you'd like to see integrated into the FW? We had a little bit discussion on this in the Jan. 18th stream thread but lets really get things kicked off!

THOUGHTS
There's been suggestions to add cc/snares to the druid's trays and with the recent release of the Templar, there seems to be no shortage of CC for melee classes. With that being said, I'd like to see a mid-range, cc/snare type skill set for the Frostweaver. Also, it'd be really refreshing to have a class in an MMORPG that can functionally balance and use both spells and melee skills, but in the past I feel like that idea usually never is realized in-game. WoW's enhancement shaman got close but there's no denying the dominance of the melee skills (that happened to be tied to elemental damage, yes)

I think she's a really neat, relatively original archetype concept and I'm hoping they continue to run with that. I wouldn't mind the Frostweaver having a high skill cap and require a very specialized play style (I say that now.. rip)

---------------------------

SUGGESTIONS&INPUT

POWERS:

• Spell [AoE] (Ice Field/Frozen Ground) Small AoE DOT and debuff that causes a chance for knockdown when enemy players move within it (slip and fall), increased chance for knockdown to happen if sprint or a power is activated within the Ice Field. -FrykkaSnares players and if they stand in there long enough, they become frozen/paralyzed? -Riku
  • Spell (Ice Breath/Frost Breath) - Cone shaped attack that hits and snares targets -Riku. The cc would be a status effect that stuns but also allows other abilities to do more dmg to the frozen target -sluce
  • Spell (Leech Warmth) - Leech chicken tickers/"warmth" from an enemy and, in combo, either applies ice dmg vulnerability to target or steal an active buff(s) from the target -Riku
  • Spell (Conjure Ice Wall) - Fw conjures a solid wall of ice for limited duration (6-8secs?) or until broken from enemies -Vect, Riku
  • Spell (Icebolt) - Hit a target for x amount of frost dmg, if the target is frozen the duration is extended by x seconds -sluce
  • Spell-Mobility (Frozen Escape) - Freeze yourself into an invulnerable ice statue which lasts (2 secs?) and allows the FW to teleport a (15m?) distance away when the statue breaks. Mid-length CD -Riku
  • Spell/Weapon Ability DPS combo chain that gives option for single target or AoE -Riku

• Weapon Ability (Chain Pull) -VIKING
  • Weapon Ability (Shatter) - Swing the Kusarigama (mid-range) to hit any target in front of you. If the target is frozen, the freeze debuff expires and the target takes additional damage -sluce
  • Weapon Ability (Frostbite) - Imbue the Kusarigama w/ frost and swing it in a wide arc (mid-range), applies a slow debuff -sluce

• LMB (Frost Step) - Dash in a direction and leave behind a trail of ice in your wake. Dizzy (slow? stam. degen?) is applied to enemies who step in it -sluce. Enemies slip and are interrupted while allies gain an increase to mvmt speed -Jjohnsin
  • RMB - Similar to the dodge roll rangers have -Riku
  • C Ability - (AoE Ice Field, see above) -Riku
  • C Ability (Winds of Winter) - Calls a blizzard to protect the FW that emits frost DOT dmg; targets adjacent to the FW are inflicted with freeze -sluce

WEAPON:

• Kusarigama used as it's main casting animation that is manipulated to do spells etc. -facerip

CLASS DESIGN:

• Something between the confessor and knight, a short to mid range melee + caster that also has a lot of ways to stick on a target -VIKING
  • Mainly snares/interrupts with no stuns and high mobility -facerip
  • Unique combat mechanics -Vectious
  • Dual tray -Izkimar, Riku
  • Ability to effect the environment -Vectious
  • Strong in area control & dps, weak in mobility and hard CCs -Riku
Edited by Nivhawk

Of the Hawk People

I think the Kusarigama sounds like a short to mid range weapon. I could see it having some more powerful moves on short range and a few moves on mid range. 

Based on the lore description, frostweaver should have something to do with winter and warmth mechanics. While it makes sense that she'd be stronger during winter, that's probably a bad design idea because it means we would see an excess of frostweavers during winter. 

Instead she could have some sort of power to leech warmth/chicken tickers from other players. That could become a pretty brutal power during winter, if food is going to be as scarce as the devs implied. And then use that warmth to channel her own powers? 

In terms of CC, maybe an AoE ice field that snares players and if they stand in there long enough, they become frozen/paralyzed? Druid is the only AT currently specialized in AoE damage, so maybe Frostweaver could go the AoE route as well. 

Just some initial thoughts. 

I think there is a huge opportunity here to add the first archetype with the ability to effect the environment. Todd briefly mentioned something along the lines of this at the last AMA.

I mean, how much hyper was there for the concept of "digging" and making tunnels and such just to have to turn in to a lame version  of stealth with a warp forward on the duelist?

The archetypes have been fairly generic with a really generic combat system, it would be nice to see them actually add some unique combat mechanics.

CfWBSig.png

Just a thought.. (Area Control)   An Ice Field power with small AOE DOT and debuff that causes a chance for knockdown when enemy players move within it (slip and fall), increased chance for knockdown to happen if sprint or a power is activated within the Ice Field.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

I'd like to see something between the confessor and knight, a short to mid range melee + caster that also has a lot of ways to stick on a target. 

I'd also rather see the chain pull moved to frostweaver but I don't know how economical that would be for ACE.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think the Kusarigama sounds like a short to mid range weapon. I could see it having some more powerful moves on short range and a few moves on mid range. 

Based on the lore description, frostweaver should have something to do with winter and warmth mechanics. While it makes sense that she'd be stronger during winter, that's probably a bad design idea because it means we would see an excess of frostweavers during winter.  Perhaps a way to integrate this aspect of lore would be to increase the intensity/effectiveness of a self or group buff during winter (where usually the buff does +10% reduced damage and then +15 or +20% in winter, for example), or perhaps her chicken ticker doesn't decrease more rapidly in winter?

Instead she could have some sort of power to leech warmth/chicken tickers from other players. That could become a pretty brutal power during winter, if food is going to be as scarce as the devs implied. And then use that warmth to channel her own powers? I really like this idea. She could use their chicken ticker to replenish her own or provide herself a buff. Awesome!

In terms of CC, maybe an AoE ice field that snares players and if they stand in there long enough, they become frozen/paralyzed? Druid is the only AT currently specialized in AoE damage, so maybe Frostweaver could go the AoE route as well. This suggestion I really like! This could either be on a cast timer or perhaps instant cast but channeled to increase the intensity & quickness the debuff is applied to enemies). 

I think there is a huge opportunity here to add the first archetype with the ability to effect the environment. THIS 100%. It'd be so cool if the FW could use a skill- Consume X (Cold, during winter, Warmth during other seasons, etc.) that can be converted into a self buff. This could tie back into Riku's suggestion too. Consuming other player's chicken tickers or camp fires to restore her own resources or provide buffs.

It would be nice to see them actually add some unique combat mechanics.

(Area Control)  An Ice Field power with small AOE DOT and debuff that causes a chance for knockdown when enemy players move within it (slip and fall), increased chance for knockdown to happen if sprint or a power is activated within the Ice Field. This concept of an aoe cc field is definitely something I think alot of us associate with the FW. Your post gets more technical with it, I love it, and it makes sense!

I'd like to see something between the confessor and knight, a short to mid range melee + caster that also has a lot of ways to stick on a target. 

I'd also rather see the chain pull moved to frostweaver but I don't know how economical that would be for ACE. Now that you mention this, definitely seems appropriate considering the FW will be wielding a weapon with a chain on it. It'd also be neat to have a mid-range skill that applies a snare/slow by throwing the blade part of the Kusarigama at the target (Tendon Slice :D).

I'd like to see the Kusarigama used as it's main casting animation that is manipulated to do spells etc.  I would prefer that the class is mainly snares/interrupts with no stuns and high mobility. I would like this for the class as well, but if I'm being honest I think we'd have a really hard time balancing it with the current ATs. Something I really hope the devs consider when re-opening the FW folder.

This is my first choice to main, so I'm really hoping it comes out great. Same!

Awesome feedback. After testing for a bit, lurking in forums and discords, I can tell there's alot of hype around the FW. What sorts of promotion classes would you guys want to see? A full magic, physical damage w/ the Kusarigama, and a debuff/denial set of promotions would be really neat I think. 

Of the Hawk People

In terms of CC, maybe an AoE ice field that snares players and if they stand in there long enough, they become frozen/paralyzed? Druid is the only AT currently specialized in AoE damage, so maybe Frostweaver could go the AoE route as well. 

Just some initial thoughts. 

I'd argue Templar does AoE pretty well. I suppose I wouldn't consider it specialized in AoE but it has the most AoE pressure in the game currently imo. 

Really liked the chicken ticker idea you had though Riku, would be another interesting aspect to play around (could even have a forgemaster/fessor ability that off-sets it with their fire warmth)

Unfortunately, this are difficult forecasts to make.

The Frostweaver will probably be the last archetype for one reason: the Kusarigama, which gives ACE an awesome tool for development flexibility.

The reason is because it could be turned as much into a physical melee weapon (2m / 3m, reach similar to the huge axe of the champ for example) as a physical "ranged" weapon (10-15m), just depending on how distant from the character you want to make the chain attack animation.

But not only that, it could also be turned into a magical (melee or ranged also) weapon, if you add a magical effect instead (lore getting closer to the "witch" Yaga here), where the very weapon would create a spectral doppelganger of itself as attack animation (bigger, better, stronger).

The jewel at its "bottom" is easily linked with magical properties, as much as the blade would with physical ones.

And those are only weapon "design" choices. I don't talk about the "ice" related magic that goes around the AT since the start, and its obvious opposition to Confessor, or even triumvirate with Confessor and Druid (fire, lightning, ice).

All this being said, that give ACE the freedom to turn this Frostweaver into pretty much anything they want. Which explain why they will keep it aside for the end, to be used as a balancing AT between weapon and magic distribution among the other ATs.

Edited by Eaden

Well i think the missing component to combat is utilizing combinations.

Like, ACE needs to consider how these archetypes should interact with each other.

The templar/confessor interaction was a bit of a let down with me, they are just passing or removing a intangible and invisible sin debuff. They should of redone how Confessor applies Sin. Its single target jank which has the confessor spamming LMB 70% of the time. And the templar should consume the Sin for a buff, or cause it to explode on the enemy in a different way, not just AoE removal. They take these opportunities and they drop the ball.

They should really look at archetype interactions going forward. Things feel way to generic. More generic powers will not make the game better. Dynamic powers with long cooldowns that can shape the battlefield is the way to go.

And have them interact with each other. If 4 frost weavers each make a wall and block off the enemy, how do you get past it? Should it have hp and take damage? For sure. Would fire tornados be x4 more effective at deconstructing that wall? YES.

The ranger has a thing they can put on the ground to slow enemies and give her a buff. We need more of this type of stuff but make it stronger, something that can be thrown. But make it removable with damage or other effects. Not just the duration ends and its gone.

Give us dynamic barriers that can be created in combat that players have to overcome mid combat.

The frostweaver is the PERFECT opportunity for this.

CfWBSig.png

Well i think the missing component to combat is utilizing combinations.

Like, ACE needs to consider how these archetypes should interact with each other.

The templar/confessor interaction was a bit of a let down with me, they are just passing or removing a intangible and invisible sin debuff. They should of redone how Confessor applies Sin. Its single target jank which has the confessor spamming LMB 70% of the time. And the templar should consume the Sin for a buff, or cause it to explode on the enemy in a different way, not just AoE removal. They take these opportunities and they drop the ball.

They should really look at archetype interactions going forward. Things feel way to generic. More generic powers will not make the game better. Dynamic powers with long cooldowns that can shape the battlefield is the way to go.

And have them interact with each other. If 4 frost weavers each make a wall and block off the enemy, how do you get past it? Should it have hp and take damage? For sure. Would fire tornados be x4 more effective at deconstructing that wall? YES.

The ranger has a thing they can put on the ground to slow enemies and give her a buff. We need more of this type of stuff but make it stronger, something that can be thrown. But make it removable with damage or other effects. Not just the duration ends and its gone.

Give us dynamic barriers that can be created in combat that players have to overcome mid combat.

The frostweaver is the PERFECT opportunity for this.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It would make sense if Frost spells could remove the debuff from flame spells and vice versa.

Id also be nice to see more incentive for putting together comps that go more in depth than just FoTM; I really hope that if they don't revisit the original ideas presented on archetype interactions that they certainly do so moving forward. With having a fluid idea of release date it'd be nice to see some reworking as well.

Edited by Nivhawk

Of the Hawk People

Unfortunately, this are difficult forecasts to make.

The Frostweaver will probably be the last archetype for one reason: the Kusarigama, which gives ACE an awesome tool for development flexibility.

The reason is because it could be turned as much into a physical melee weapon (2m / 3m, reach similar to the huge axe of the champ for example) as a physical "ranged" weapon (10-15m), just depending on how distant from the character you want to make the chain attack animation.

But not only that, it could also be turned into a magical (melee or ranged also) weapon, if you add a magical effect instead (lore getting closer to the "witch" Yaga here), where the very weapon would create a spectral doppelganger of itself as attack animation (bigger, better, stronger).

The jewel at its "bottom" is easily linked with magical properties, as much as the blade would with physical ones.

And those are only weapon "design" choices. I don't talk about the "ice" related magic that goes around the AT since the start, and its obvious opposition to Confessor, or even triumvirate with Confessor and Druid (fire, lightning, ice).

All this being said, that give ACE the freedom to turn this Frostweaver into pretty much anything they want. Which explain why they will keep it aside for the end, to be used as a balancing AT between weapon and magic distribution among the other ATs.

The FW being one of the fins archetypes has essentially already been confirmed from JTC, and for all the reasons you mentioned. I think enriched discussions like these, including your contribution , are really important in this phase of development. As testers/players, we won't quite have the same opportunity to speculate & share wild ideas like these after the game is released.

As an aside, your description of the Kusarigama was really interesting and brought up several out of the box ways to explain (possible) utilization a of it!

Of the Hawk People

Ok, some ideas ^^

Weapon: Dual tray Kusarigama. On first tray the chain is compressed for melee range attacks and powers, on second tray the chain is extended for some midish range attacks. 

RMB: nothing fancy, maybe just the regular dodge roll rangers have

Examples of powers: 

Cone shaped attack that hits and snares targets in front of you (ice breath?); 

Leeching warmth/chicken tickers from target, then combo that power chain into either using the stolen warmth to apply an ice damage vulnerability to target, or to steal an active buff(s) from the target for you;

Maybe conjure small sections of ice walls as Vectious suggested, that last a certain duration (probably not more than 6-8s or so) or until broken;

Definitely need a dps bread and butter, maybe a combo chain that can branch into single target or AoE dps?;

An escape/survival ability. Something like you freeze yourself into an invulnerable ice statue, which lasts a couple seconds and allows you to teleport to a distance not too far from where you are (but enough to get a little breathing room). When statue breaks, you are teleported. Cooldown couldn't be too short.

C: AoE ice field effect that has DoT damage, snares, and if targets move around inside it, has a % chance to knock down as well (as per Frykka's suggestion)

She would be strong in area control and dps, weak in mobility and hard CCs

No clue about promotion classes though. Tbh I'm still unsure as to how ACE will tackle promotion classes, how much it'd differ from the base archetype and whatnot. 

I think a ability mash up with both magic and melee attacks would be cool:

Frost Breath: Breathe a cone of ice that freeze the target. Freeze would be a status effect that acts like stun but certain abilities do more damage on frozen targets.

Shatter: Swing your Kusarigama  up to mid range hitting any target in front. If the target is Frozen, Freeze's duration will be set to 0 and the target will take additional damage.

Frost Bite: Imbue your Kusarigama with frost and swing it in a wide arc hitting any enemies up to mid range, and slowing them.

Frost Step (Left click): Do a running dash in a direction and leave behind a trail of frost that can dizzy anyone who steps in it.

Icebolt: Hit target for x amount of frost damage, if target is frozen extends duration by so many seconds.

Winds of Winter ©: Create a blizzard around you that freezes all targets who are initially hit by the ability. Furthermore it creates a field around you that inflicts dot damage.

Ok, some ideas ^^

RMB: nothing fancy, maybe just the regular dodge roll rangers have

I would like to see something more similar to the fessor dash but with a shorter range on it and leaves an ice trail behind you that enemies AND allies can interact with. So if an enemy runs on it, they get slowed or maybe if they're casting a spell they slip and get interrupted. And when allies are on it, they get increased move speed or something. 

I think something like that would be way more dynamic and have so many interesting uses, which I want to see more of in abilities on AT's

Edited by Jjohnsin

Ok, some ideas ^^

Weapon: Dual tray Kusarigama. On first tray the chain is compressed for melee range attacks and powers, on second tray the chain is extended for some midish range attacks. I am warming up (huehue) to the idea of dual tray. My initial thoughts went to something like Druid- a tray that builds your frost power (resource). These spells would include the physical damage (mainly) and mid-range weapon skills (including slows/ccs). The second tray would use your frost power to activate your spells (basically all of the Ice/Frost spells we've all been talking about). Again, there'd have to be a balance in utility of both trays, and the resource gain and useage.

Examples of powers: 

Cone shaped attack that hits and snares targets in front of you (ice breath?); 

Leeching warmth/chicken tickers from target, then combo that power chain into either using the stolen warmth to apply an ice damage vulnerability to target, or to steal an active buff(s) from the target for you; I like this idea so much. 

Maybe conjure small sections of ice walls as Vectious suggested, that last a certain duration (probably not more than 6-8s or so) or until broken; The more we're talking about this skill the more interesting it seems. Would the frost wall change direction with field of view change from the FW, or would the frost wall be completely planted?

Definitely need a dps bread and butter, maybe a combo chain that can branch into single target or AoE dps?; With the Kusarigami as the weapon, something like this is certainly viable

An escape/survival ability. Something like you freeze yourself into an invulnerable ice statue, which lasts a couple seconds and allows you to teleport to a distance not too far from where you are (but enough to get a little breathing room). When statue breaks, you are teleported. Cooldown couldn't be too short. An Ice Flurry like spell would work for this too- Call a flurry of snow/frost to obscure and teleport you a short/mid-range distance. 

C: AoE ice field effect that has DoT damage, snares, and if targets move around inside it, has a % chance to knock down as well (as per Frykka's suggestion) - Yas

She would be strong in area control and dps, weak in mobility and hard CCs

Of the Hawk People

I think a ability mash up with both magic and melee attacks would be cool:

Shatter: Swing your Kusarigama up to mid range hitting any target in front. If the target is Frozen, Freeze's duration will be set to 0 and the target will take additional damage. This is a really neat idea- I like the play and usage of this conceptual frozen debuff we keep talking about. 

Frost Bite: Imbue your Kusarigama with frost and swing it in a wide arc hitting any enemies up to mid range, and slowing them. Yas!

Frost Step (Left click): Do a running dash in a direction and leave behind a trail of frost that can dizzy anyone who steps in it. A slow would work as well, especially if this skill is used as a way to control combat or make a quick exit. 

Icebolt: Hit target for x amount of frost damage, if target is frozen extends duration by so many seconds. I like your idea of having a spell/ability that extends the duration of a debuff. This skill would have to be on cooldown though- your thoughts?

Winds of Winter ©: Create a blizzard around you that freezes all targets who are initially hit by the ability. Furthermore it creates a field around you that inflicts dot damage.

I would like to see something more similar to the fessor dash but with a shorter range on it and leaves an ice trail behind you that enemies AND allies can interact with. So if an enemy runs on it, they get slowed or maybe if they're casting a spell they slip and get interrupted. And when allies are on it, they get increased move speed or something. This idea keeps getting brought up, and that's great, because its a good one! Your spin on it, including an ally buff, its really crafty and I like it. 

So, we're obviously channelling a lot of our ideas from the concept art/depiction of the FROSTweaver. However, her lore has theme that resonates with fluidity/dancing. Do you guys think this is something that the dev's will run with? Conceptually, what are some ways to incorporate that theme (dancing, fluidity, etc.) into her design?

Edited by Nivhawk

Of the Hawk People

I would like to see something more similar to the fessor dash but with a shorter range on it and leaves an ice trail behind you that enemies AND allies can interact with. So if an enemy runs on it, they get slowed or maybe if they're casting a spell they slip and get interrupted. And when allies are on it, they get increased move speed or something. 

I think something like that would be way more dynamic and have so many interesting uses, which I want to see more of in abilities on AT's

I like the idea of more environment effects (sort of like druid heal globes but with some more interesting localized buffs/debuffs like this).  I'm getting a Bobby Drake vibe (Marvel Comics).  I'm pretty sure someone would find a way to break combat with it at first, but a few tweaks would probably get it to the right place and make particular AT combinations much more interesting.  

Another one could be a small AoE white-out effect.  Like a snow globe with 10' radius that has one or more effects like increasing fire resistance to friends within, and making it harder to target characters inside the globe from outside, effectively hampering ranged attacks.  Not sure how that would play out in a full group battle, but could add some interesting tactics for both group dynamics and actual combat.

Taking it a step further out to fantasy-land, I could see a harvesting effect such as freezing stone or ore to make it slightly more brittle and easier to harvest (more damage per swing). 

Edited by dezreth