Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buffs And The Arms Race

bairloch

Completely unrelated to Crowfall (I hope), but I was thinking of all the MMOs I've played and the way buffs have a way of throwing off the balance, and then things escalate. Devs have to up game difficulty for the buffs. Then the players want better buffs. Vicious cycle.

Add in the time to acquire buffs, so people create bots. Or the devs then put in composite buffs. All this work. Over buffs.

I was wondering, what if a MMO came out announcing no buffs, no stat boosts on equipment, none of that. Make it simple.

Would you be interested?

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Completely unrelated to Crowfall (I hope), but I was thinking of all the MMOs I've played and the way buffs have a way of throwing off the balance, and then things escalate. Devs have to up game difficulty for the buffs. Then the players want better buffs. Vicious cycle.

Add in the time to acquire buffs, so people create bots. Or the devs then put in composite buffs. All this work. Over buffs.

I was wondering, what if a MMO came out announcing no buffs, no stat boosts on equipment, none of that. Make it simple.

Would you be interested?

Similar in concept to something I stated before. that sent someone to frothing at the mouth. that if something is in the game and becomes deemed by the players as "must have" and every character uses it, you can remove it from the game and not effect gameplay. Buffs are one such thing, if everyone has buffbots or the buff is so widespread through potions why even have it in the game? It it not like it is giving an advantage to anyone at that point (which was the original idea behind them in the first place) and is completely worthless just taking up time and space.

Anarchy Online had a great system for limiting buffs. Characters had an NTU/NCU piece of equipment that had a stat for how many active nano-programs[buffs] they could have running on them. Some nanoprograms took up 1 point, some took up 100. It meant that groups would co-ordinate as to which buffs they wanted, and had to keep from over-buffing each other which could potentially prevent a healer from using a HoT on a character as they had no room in the NTU to run the healing program.

Anarchy Online had a great system for limiting buffs. Characters had an NTU/NCU piece of equipment that had a stat for how many active nano-programs[buffs] they could have running on them. Some nanoprograms took up 1 point, some took up 100. It meant that groups would co-ordinate as to which buffs they wanted, and had to keep from over-buffing each other which could potentially prevent a healer from using a HoT on a character as they had no room in the NTU to run the healing program.

It was ok. I've played AO for more than a decade now. Buffs are still considered "essential" to playing the game. You don't go into any raids or serious groups without getting fully buffed first. Heck that's why they added the composite boosts, and made them an hour long, just so they wouldn't be such a hassle and wouldn't take up so much NCU. They actually put a system in the game to get around their system to limit buffs, because players whined about it. I was actually thinking AO a lot when I wrote the OP.

And Cannibal, you'll notice I'm the third post in that thread. I also replied to them that not everyone hated the original mechanic (after thanking them for coming in and reminiscing with us). I really think they did a disservice to the game by taking out the damage and adding the build-a-buff. I know it was popular, but, as I've said before, Bieber is popular. That doesn't make his music good.

It was ok. I've played AO for more than a decade now. Buffs are still considered "essential" to playing the game. You don't go into any raids or serious groups without getting fully buffed first. Heck that's why they added the composite boosts, and made them an hour long, just so they wouldn't be such a hassle and wouldn't take up so much NCU. They actually put a system in the game to get around their system to limit buffs, because players whined about it. I was actually thinking AO a lot when I wrote the OP.

And Cannibal, you'll notice I'm the third post in that thread. I also replied to them that not everyone hated the original mechanic (after thanking them for coming in and reminiscing with us). I really think they did a disservice to the game by taking out the damage and adding the build-a-buff. I know it was popular, but, as I've said before, Bieber is popular. That doesn't make his music good.

I thought it was a really good system that needed refinement, but was ultimately reduced to a shadow of its former self once the chorus of whining grew to a crescendo.

How is the game nowadays? Back 6/7 years ago the population was still healthy and thriving.

RK is pretty dead, other than tower fights. Everyone is battling aliens and raiding in the Shadowlands.

I never really liked the expansions past Notum Wars, so I just went froob and enjoy hanging out in RK. Doing some mishes. Hunting for GA disks.