Zybak

AMD Ryzen CPUs, VEGA, and GTX 1080ti

So I've got the PC part picking/building bug something fierce right now as I starting locking down what I want for my Crowfall launch rig. I'm definitely going to wait on real world benchmarks for the GTX 1080ti and RYZEN processors before I do anything though.

I'm not the most tech savvy dude when it comes to this kind of stuff so I wondered what you guys think of all this new stuff coming out.

- The new RYZEN 1800X looks amazing and the price is awesome. However it's got a slower clock speed than the i7 7700k and from my experience games don't utilize multi-core that well. The 1800X absolutely destroys everything in multi-core applications though. Is this something to be concerned about?

- AMD's new VEGA graphics cards are apparently coming out soon too. I've heard they probably won't be able to touch the 1080ti but will be much cheaper and likely have a better price/performance ratio. I'm super hesitant to go with AMD graphics cards since most games run better on NVIDIA due to games optimizing for NVIDIA more (apparently NVIDIA sends out engineers to game studios). Also NVIDIA does evil things to sabotage NVIDIA (hairworks apparently)?

- The GTX 1080ti is coming out soon. Obviously nobody knows anything solid yet but I'm curious what you guys will think once we learn more in a few days.

- This may be the year I go full AMD but I'd be lying if I wasn't a little bit afraid of the AMD boogieman. EVERY TIME I hear about some game having an issue with something hardware related it's always AMD. Wildstar was a perfect example of this.

I'm not in a huge rush to build anything since Crowfall is still a good bit out and I don't absolutely need anything right away. However starving kids in Africa are laughing at my GTX 780. I'd love to know what some of you more tech savvy people think on all these big news drops.

Ryzen looks promising, but I would wait and see what Intels response will be. They will have to come out with similar specced CPU's relatively soon to combat the massive sales Ryzen will have.

I am a big fan of AMD myself, and I like to support the "little guy" in the Gaming market, and I will most likely get a 1800x myself if Intel does not destroy AMD with a new CPU series.

- AMD's new VEGA graphics cards are apparently coming out soon too. I've heard they probably won't be able to touch the 1080ti but will be much cheaper and likely have a better price/performance ratio. I'm super hesitant to go with AMD graphics cards since most games run better on NVIDIA due to games optimizing for NVIDIA more (apparently NVIDIA sends out engineers to game studios). Also NVIDIA does evil things to sabotage NVIDIA (hairworks apparently)?

Something that is kind of interesting about this is that the exact opposite thing happened before with TressFX hair physics in the tomb raider reboot. It wrecked nvidia cards because it was designed around the ati cards. I never actually saw the technology after that game except for in the newer tombraider, the nvidia hair physics were in it.

I'm interested to see how things go with the AMD chips. Intel could use some actual competition to drive them a bit. 

Does Crowfall use multiple cores effectively? Apparently newer games like Watch Dogs 2 have started breaking the trend of games running on 1 core or w/e. Obviously this makes a huge difference when it comes to 4 super fast cores with the 7700k or 8 slightly slower cores on the 1800X.

WTB tech savvy Crowfaller or Dev.

Does Crowfall use multiple cores effectively? Apparently newer games like Watch Dogs 2 have started breaking the trend of games running on 1 core or w/e. Obviously this makes a huge difference when it comes to 4 super fast cores with the 7700k or 8 slightly slower cores on the 1800X.

WTB tech savvy Crowfaller or Dev.

Unity does support multi-core and multi-thread performance.. It all comes down to if ACE is utilizing it or not.

You have to remember, Crowfall itself wont be using alot of resources so brute force single core application wont help it either way. Its not a witcher 3 game at 4k or such non-sense.

However, if you are going to be streaming/recording/potatoing as you play crowfall....thats a ENTIRELY different ballpark and multiple cores may be the way to go completely.

I am also interested in the 1080ti, the 1080 itself is underwhelming when compared to my current 295x2 in a 4k application. Its on par and even loses in some games. 

Myself i will be looking at the new AMD chip very closely. Even if intel can out perform on a single application single core setup it may be less important if it gets DESTROYED in multi-core. We do more than just play games at one time anymore.

Wait to see what intels response to ryzen will be IMO.

Unless your current CPU is a toaster oven I wouldn't worry to much about putting a rig together for crowfall. We're also entering the era of diminishing returns when it comes to graphics.

So I've got the PC part picking/building bug something fierce right now as I starting locking down what I want for my Crowfall launch rig. I'm definitely going to wait on real world benchmarks for the GTX 1080ti and RYZEN processors before I do anything though.

I'm not the most tech savvy dude when it comes to this kind of stuff so I wondered what you guys think of all this new stuff coming out.

- The new RYZEN 1800X looks amazing and the price is awesome. However it's got a slower clock speed than the i7 7700k and from my experience games don't utilize multi-core that well. The 1800X absolutely destroys everything in multi-core applications though. Is this something to be concerned about?

- The GTX 1080ti is coming out soon. Obviously nobody knows anything solid yet but I'm curious what you guys will think once we learn more in a few days.

- This may be the year I go full AMD but I'd be lying if I wasn't a little bit afraid of the AMD boogieman. EVERY TIME I hear about some game having an issue with something hardware related it's always AMD. Wildstar was a perfect example of this.

I'm not in a huge rush to build anything since Crowfall is still a good bit out and I don't absolutely need anything right away. However starving kids in Africa are laughing at my GTX 780. I'd love to know what some of you more tech savvy people think on all these big news drops.

I been watching and researching the New ryzen and vega combo. It looks great!

Review embargo lifts March 2nd I believe so wait till after that at the very very least. The one positive for everyone is that if the new RYZEN chips are decent it should bring prices down on the Intel side as they have gotten completely out of control over the last 4-5 years since AMD hasn't been competitive at the high end. 

On a personal note I'm excite for the new chips because i own stock in AMD that i bought a long time ago when they were sub 2$ haha :)

Intel has more than enough  capacity to beat Ryzen. But at least some competition on CPU market, Now intel wont have the chance to push overpriced CPU's and will have to focus on cost/performance significantly more than it did in past 3 years.

Does anyone here have a Ryzen or Intel 8 core processor? I'm curious how Crowfall runs with on multiple cores. I'd really like to go with Ryzen on my next build since I do quite a bit of rendering/encoding stuff.

3 hours ago, Zybak said:

Does anyone here have a Ryzen or Intel 8 core processor? I'm curious how Crowfall runs with on multiple cores. I'd really like to go with Ryzen on my next build since I do quite a bit of rendering/encoding stuff.

So this was a really long while back but it was only utilizing 1 core back in HD/SP if I remember right from my testing right after I got my 1080.

2 hours ago, Phylor the Jester said:

So this was a really long while back but it was only utilizing 1 core back in HD/SP if I remember right from my testing right after I got my 1080.

FML...Looks like those dickbags at Intel are going to get my money again for having higher clock speeds over Ryzen. I feel like such a tool for getting a 10% upgrade from my 4790k but I need to have a whole new rig. The 7700k can hit 5GHz pretty easy though apparently.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Zybak said:

FML...Looks like those dickbags at Intel are going to get my money again for having higher clock speeds over Ryzen. I feel like such a tool for getting a 10% upgrade from my 4790k but I need to have a whole new rig. The 7700k can hit 5GHz pretty easy though apparently.

Might want to take a look at this thread.  Scroll down to the benchmarks.

https://hardforum.com/threads/why-does-ryzen-7-1800x-performs-so-poorly-in-games.1926274/

I am an Intel fanboy, but have been hoping AMD would get their poorly made socks together.  This arch is very new on these processors, nothing has been optimized for it at all.  Games have no idea what to do with SMT and the theory is the way AMD addresses their cores is causing the issue.  Either way, these processors work way different from their predecessors.  We will have to see how well the 4 and 6 cores do as the 1800x is an 8 core.  Look on over at Intels 6900k, people are barely getting it to 4.6ghz.  I would hold off until AMD drops the rest of the Ryzen line next monthish. Also would be a good idea to wait for games and OS's to get patched for this new arch.

Edited by amazingtacoburito

21 hours ago, Phylor the Jester said:

I've had utilization on all 4 cores since my first drop into HD/SP almost a year ago.  My little 2500k is still kickin!

I was actually looking today and it does seem to be utilizing a spread on the cores but this was just running around the builder world. Much different than what I remember so maybe it was a particular build or maybe my memory just sucks.