Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/02/15 - Hunger Week... It's About Time.

I don't want badges at all

I just don't like the concept of the EK being a lobby/trophy room/whatever

it's like in Planetside 2... who gives a **** what faction owns what continent. noone cares.

Why wouldn't the same thing happen here now?

It's because CF is going to be like a grand-strategy board game MMO hybrid, and Planetside 2 was a FPS meaningless piece of ****.  There was no resources system, crafting system, or deep character progression in Planetside (lol gtfo if you try to say it had character progression).  In a game designed as a board game, there are winners and losers.  In some random infinite crap PS2 type game, there is no "end."  Would you play a board game if it was infinite and had no end?  I know I wouldn't...  (although Advanced Squad Leader seems infinite sometimes...lol).

I do admit though, that the line between meaningless combat and meaningful combat can be thin.  GW2 for instance - meaningless sieging and combat.  I hope the devs know what they're doing.  I don't mind if EK is just a lobby for people to hang out and talk.  That means it has nothing to do with the actual game, and doesn't impact the game.  It's just a chat room, and I don't see the difference in whether a losing guild is hanging out in ventrilo talking, not logged into the game, or hanging out in ventrilo talking, logged into EK.  I'd rather them be logged into the game tbh.

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Being dropped in the middle of nowhere naked doesn't sound very Heroic.  If you are supposed to be some kind of Heroic Instrument of the Gods, then it seems as though the Gods have abandoned you to the wilds, with nothing but rocks and sticks....

They sent us for supplies, now quit snivelling and get to gathering!

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

How is gear not important, yet crafting is one of the main aspects of the game?

why does everyone assume that crafters are stuck crafting gear only? in a siege warfare game with mines and convoys.. who's to say that crafting wagons, or siege weapons, or even building the keeps themselves won't fall on the shoulders of crafters. yes gear is craftable, that much is given... but gear can be unimportant but still necessity.. to avoid naked fights... but just because gear isn't the end all be all of the game does not mean crafters aren't completely necessary. 

Crazy ex-girlfriends are like a box of chocolates...

They'll kill your dog.

It's because CF is going to be like a grand-strategy board game MMO hybrid, and Planetside 2 was a FPS meaningless piece of ****.  There was no resources system, crafting system, or deep character progression in Planetside (lol gtfo if you try to say it had character progression).  In a game designed as a board game, there are winners and losers.  In some random infinite crap PS2 type game, there is no "end."  Would you play a board game if it was infinite and had no end?  I know I wouldn't...  (although Advanced Squad Leader seems infinite sometimes...lol).

I do admit though, that the line between meaningless combat and meaningful combat can be thin.  GW2 for instance - meaningless sieging and combat.  I hope the devs know what they're doing.  I don't mind if EK is just a lobby for people to hang out and talk.  That means it has nothing to do with the actual game, and doesn't impact the game.  It's just a chat room, and I don't see the difference in whether a losing guild is hanging out in ventrilo talking, not logged into the game, or hanging out in ventrilo talking, logged into EK.  I'd rather them be logged into the game tbh.

I know what you mean...

and I agree with the PS2 character char progression... I had a BR100 with constantly ~9000 certs after 9 months of release or so. Progression  was more along the lines of, you had more choices.

still, they seem to have put some effort into the EK, with buildings and whatnot.

It's wasted effort in my eyes.

I'm not trying to deny people their trophies, I'm trying to show people that their priorities should be elsewhere.

Also, items don't have to be individually uber and powerful for crafters/crafting to be a main aspect of the game.  Even if your swords are just regular swords, and not magic-purple-swords-of-pwnage, someone still has to acquire the resources and create them.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

+1 for Avalon Hill Board Game reference.

So just to be clear, are we building keeps/cities from empty plots of land like in Shadowbane, or are we restricted to capturing existing keeps/cities and renovating them?

Big concerns with today's reveal. This is a major one, fighting over the same static landmarks. It seems like a series of mini games, not quite MOBA, not quite MMO, with the EK being nothing more than a shiny trophy case. I'll keep an open mind, but without real asset ownership and free placement of those assets, it seems a little hollow. We'll see.

just because I disagree, doesn't mean I'm hostile...

stop being so sensitive... (see what I did there?)

it's artificial...

why would you want the game to tell you that you achieved something?

can't you tell yourself?

Could be wrong obviously but I think you're in the vast minority in that thinking. Most people play these game wanting some form of achievement/records being kept IMO. Its the same thing since video arcades and you put your initials on a scoreboard when you got a high score.

Thats a focus of the concept for the Devs they want stuff to have meaning, not just throw away instanced battlegrounds.

Edited by pang

Could be wrong obviously but I think you're in the vast minority in that thinking. Most people play these game wanting some form of achievement/records being kept. Its the same thing since video arcades and you put your initials on a scoreboard when you got a high score.

Thats a focus of the concept for the Devs they want stuff to have meaning, not just throw away instanced battlegrounds.

we probably just disagree on the definition of "meaningful"

recatek, on 02 Feb 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:snapback.png

So just to be clear, are we building keeps/cities from empty plots of land like in Shadowbane, or are we restricted to capturing existing keeps/cities and renovating them?

Big concerns with today's reveal. This is a major one, fighting over the same static landmarks. It seems like a series of mini games, not quite MOBA, not quite MMO, with the EK being nothing more than a shiny trophy case. I'll keep an open mind, but without real asset ownership and free placement of those assets, it seems a little hollow. We'll see.

A Campaign might look like this:

Phase 1 is Spring.  The Campaign map is hidden by fog of war.  You are dropped (typically naked) into an unknown, deadly environment.  This world is filled with the ruins of ancient castles, abandoned mines and haunted villages – which you have to explore to scavenge for weapons, tools and the resources to start building fortifications.

Phase 2 is Summer.  The Hunger starts to infect the creatures.  Resources become scarce.  Your team claims an abandoned quarry and must fight to keep it.  You use the stone to build an ancient keep, to use it as staging areas to attack their neighbors.

Phase 3 is Fall.  The creatures become more deadly as the Hunger takes hold.  Resources are heavily contested and transporting them is fraught with peril.  Your guild frantically builds a wall around your city, as the nature of conflict shifts from smaller skirmishes to siege warfare.

Phase 4 is Winter.  The environment is brutal.  Warmth is hard to come by.  Your kingdoms grows in strength; your neighbors falter and you demand that they swear fealty or face complete loss of the Campaign.  Instead, a handful of smaller kingdoms choose to band together against you.

Phase 5 is Victory and Defeat.  The World is destroyed in a cataclysmic event as the Campaign comes to an end.  Your Kingdom emerges victorious, and you return to the Eternal Kingdoms to enjoy the spoils of war.   Your adversaries head home, too -- to lick their wounds. 

* JTodd's answer in italics

I'm still on board! I'm sort of used to resetting worlds in some Browser kingdom games. Does this mean PvE is confirmed? Since there will be mobs to contend with. These "Seasons" have little meaning to a Dwarf like me though, we dont have the sky or stars or moon or sun to measure time.

we probably just disagree on the definition of "meaningful"

Meaningful, something that has meaning to me or my guild or faction. A trophy I hang on the wall of my house or guild hall that signifies a hard won battle. Seeing it displayed and having others able to see it has meaning to me.

Edited by pang

Since the only lasting progression will be focused around the character, my only hope here is that character progression will take an extremely long time, similar to Runescape. Otherwise, it won't mean much, as everyone will be perpetually at the peak of their character's progression before even the first reset. 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Could be wrong obviously but I think you're in the vast minority in that thinking. Most people play these game wanting some form of achievement/records being kept IMO. Its the same thing since video arcades and you put your initials on a scoreboard when you got a high score.

It looks to me like 80% of the stuff you export from a shadow world (if you won), benefits you in the next world's campaign (The Infected world, by my reckoning).

That would be a solid in-game meaning for us pragmatists.

don't be upset... I'm a very pragmatic person, so listen to me

Not upset at all just tired of your negativity about everything.  NO, I will not listen to you.  I find most of your posts negative, insulting and rude, not realistic or practical or even insightful at all.  You don't seem to like the game and that's fine.  They said the game would not be for everyone so just move on and stop being such a Debbie Downer to the rest of us. 

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif