Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/02/15 - Hunger Week... It's About Time.

This, you log-in, enter in the lobby and wait for friends, then the session start and you play. And?

Conquer a town, conquer a mine, conquer a poi, till you win or lose, in the end mean nothing, because the server will reset and you get kicked out.

Where is the fun? You gain ZERO, just some levels of progression with your character, all your conquest are lost.

In a persistent mmorpg like UO or Darkfall when you conquer a land or a town is your, forever, because the world is persistent and change thanks to the player actions, till someone else take it with force, in Crowfall is the system that take away your territory thanks to a reset.

Give me a break please.

This update make me very sad, developers in the end don't like risk anymore to make a true sandbox like UO was and still today. There is a reason why UO, even with the crappy Trammel update, last for so much time. From the same devs of UO i expected much more not a lobby brawler.

Sorry i'm frustrated, i need to sleep to forget what i read, tomorrow is another day, hope i feel better.

There is no Session, it isn't an instance, it is a persistent world with wipe conditions. It doesn't stat when you log in and doesn't end when you log out.

Big concerns with today's reveal. This is a major one, fighting over the same static landmarks. It seems like a series of mini games, not quite MOBA, not quite MMO, with the EK being nothing more than a shiny trophy case. I'll keep an open mind, but without real asset ownership and free placement of those assets, it seems a little hollow. We'll see.

I dunno, it sounds like you can place whatever you want wherever you want. The example given just makes it seem like a more strategically sound decision to guard a good resource area.

Of course, the world will eventually disappear, but until then you'll own a neat fortification and you can work on getting resources that you can eventually take some of back with you to the Eternal Realms (depending on your world's ruleset).

That's my feeling as well.

Who wants an MMO with server wipes? I thought our actions in this game mattered. I thought that's the point. Nothing matters when it's getting deleted next month anyways. Well I'm signed up for beta so I'll at least get to try the game.

Sounds likely a different take on a MOBA then a different take on a MMORPG.

But if you are on a server that is dominated by someone, sooner or later you will try to go to another server (if there is another one available)   or you will just stop logging in (this is happened many times in Shadowbane) so the server will die.

Edited by cappaspada

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

There will be rules at the start of every campaign

ya, but there's a difference between letting things play out naturally, until guilds decide that it's lost, like how it was in SB/DF. Once the mapset got stagnant, all sides realized that and a reset can be agreed upon.

The other thing is, if you have very specific win conditions that people work towards and probably cheat towards.

Might as well have a 2000 kill requirement then. Who kills his own alts faster!

you're right... instead of pointing out potiential flaws in the system I should join the rest

OMGOMGOMGOMG this update is so nice, I nearly wet myself!!! OMGOMGOMOGM

better?

I understand what you mean about EK but what if that's just a free zone where you wont hang out for too long, maybe a day or two while they set up a new Campaign for us, place where you can meet other players, or place with vendors, or doing stuff that SB players use to do on the Forumbane, ya know all the chest thumping etc? That might be interesting..

just sayin'.... nooby here ;)

I understand what you mean about EK but what if that's just a free zone where you wont hang out for too long, maybe a day or two while they set up a new Campaign for us, place where you can meet other players, or place with vendors, or doing stuff that SB players use to do on the Forumbane, ya know all the chest thumping etc? That might be interesting..

just sayin'.... nooby here ;)

I understand where you're coming from.

It's just artcraft being a small team and all, focusing on a glorified trophy room might not be such a splendid idea ;)

might just be me over-reacting though

ya, but there's a difference between letting things play out naturally, until guilds decide that it's lost, like how it was in SB/DF. Once the mapset got stagnant, all sides realized that and a reset can be agreed upon.

The other thing is, if you have very specific win conditions that people work towards and probably cheat towards.

Might as well have a 2000 kill requirement then. Who kills his own alts faster!

Well they need to think well about win condictions to avoid exploitation, i'm sure that kill requirements will not be in the list.

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

I understand where you're coming from.

It's just artcraft being a small team and all, focusing on a glorified trophy room might not be such a splendid idea ;)

might just be me over-reacting though

I think trophies are just a part of it. You need a place to store your loot that you are able to take back from the ended worlds as well. Why not a game world? And you may need to get resources to actually build the land for your guildhall, or what have you, so more reasons to go out into the Dying Worlds. I presume the look of the world would be similar to the spawned worlds anyway, so it probably wouldn't be much different than the assets currently being made?

Hopefully this makes the background painting of the forums make a bit more sense now :)

Are we the hunger?

Do we become crows?

Left to pick apart the last resources of a desolated world on the edge of cataclysm?

TELL US MORE  :angry:

Edited by PotatoMcWhiskey

I am extremely late to the party.  I actually didn't expect this...

I remember writing about a concept of "world reset" on MMORPG.com years ago...

I just read world reset for Crowfall...

I'm...I'm...I don't want to sound like a simple minded, shallow consumer (Because I am NOT).  But I actually plan to play this game now.  I'm looking forward to future info updates.

Guys, I am so glad.

Edited by sneaky_squirrel

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Hopefully this makes the background painting of the forums make a bit more sense now :)

This is likely a double post, sorry.

I bet its the visual representation of the Campaign's progression from healthy world to a world consumed by The Hunger.  I think.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

One of us needs to re-read the original post, because I get a different take on the game system.

This, you log-in, enter in the lobby and wait for friends, then the session start and you play. And?

Conquer a town, conquer a mine, conquer a poi, till you win or lose, in the end mean nothing, because the server will reset and you get kicked out.
Where is the fun? You gain ZERO, just some levels of progression with your character, all your conquest are lost.

In a persistent mmorpg like UO or Darkfall when you conquer a land or a town is your, forever, because the world is persistent and change thanks to the player actions, till someone else take it with force, in Crowfall is the system that take away your territory thanks to a reset.
Give me a break please.

This update make me very sad, developers in the end don't like risk anymore to make a true sandbox like UO was and still today. There is a reason why UO, even with the crappy Trammel update, last for so much time. From the same devs of UO i expected much more not a lobby brawler.

Sorry i'm frustrated, i need to sleep to forget what i read, tomorrow is another day, hope i feel better.

It it was a persistent mmorpg i can barely accept these ruleset servers, but your vision is a lot far from a mmorpg.
You can't call a lobby brawler a mmorpg because there is no persistence at all.

1) These small gains persist in the campaign until you win or lose the campaign. Then you move on with the plunder you came to that world for.

2) The further you go away from the galactic core, the more long-term your gains become.

3) It's all pixels anyway, you haven't even won them and you seem to be lamenting their loss already.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Are we the hunger?

Do we become crows?

Left to pick apart the last resources of a desolated world on the edge of cataclysm?

TELL US MORE  :angry:

No, obviously we are Reapers, Death Incarnate, Doombringers and bring death, chaos and darkness where ever we tread. Get with the picture, Potato! 

There is no Session, it isn't an instance, it is a persistent world with wipe conditions. It doesn't stat when you log in and doesn't end when you log out.

Dude, is like a battleground that is resetted after certain coditions are meet.

Now tell me, what you GAIN? You conquer a map, then the map is resetted and you back into the lobby server, and?

You have a name written into a board as the winner? Or you win a cup?

Who give a poorly made socks about these things?

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

So what we know thus far:

-We are some kind of immortal champions

-We enter a new world to vie for it's resources

-The world becomes blighted with The Hunger and slowly dies

-We enter the world naked like we are straight out of a Terminator movie (Going to have to practice my entry pose)

I dig it, hopefully this will solve power block stagnation. Regardless it has a good thematic feel to it. 

mael4.jpg

This is very similar to the system Pirates of the Burning Seas uses as the port conquests reset at the end of each game and the three nations go at it again. I will let you know now that as there were benefits to the map winner as I would imagine there would be here as well, otherwise why bother, this system quickly led to players nation hopping to whomever was winning at the time so they could get the map win. If they could not change their character they would simply have an ALT they would play for the duration of that map so that the ALT could get the goodies. This system can run the risk of creating an extremely transitory, zero loyalty player base where no one cares what team they are on in so long as they are on the winning one.

I will be interested to see how it starts to play out. Essentially a massive match based MMO with a "heaven" lobby system for us to hang out in while we wait for the next match. I understand that server stagnation is a risk but I personally would have a more difficult time having any real vested interest in developing a settlement or fighting for a hill knowing that all our stuff is going to get demolished when the game ends.

dude, is like a battleground that is resetted after certain coditions are meet.

Now tell me, what you GAIN? You conquer a map, then the map is resetted and you back into the lobby server, and?

You have a name written into a board as the winner? Or you win a cup?

Who give a poorly made socks about these things?

/raises hand