Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/02/15 - Hunger Week... It's About Time.

No, obviously we are Reapers, Death Incarnate, Doombringers and bring death, chaos and darkness where ever we tread. Get with the picture, Potato! 

The crows on a battlefield aren't the primary killers there. They're scavengers glutting themselves on an easy meal.

We're the crows because we are gathering whatever resources we can to aid us in the outer worlds before the Hunger takes these inner worlds (regardless of our efforts).

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

When I was a kid, I played D&D with my brothers.......

- scratch that -

When I was a kid, I TRIED to play D&D with my brothers, and they would do the same as your example RISK game where they were the uncle, and I was the other family members, bored and irritated.  I'm very much on board with this idea.

So, again I say:  Take my money, now, give me this game, asap, or I'm going to lose my shize.  I really, really need to play this game already.

This make ZERO sense, if the situatuion become stagnant then there is something wrong with the game design in the first place. RESETTING is not a solution, it piss off a lot of people.

Are you happy if the system take away your castle after months of fight or after months of gathering to build it? Really?

This is so wrong is so many levels.

Also this game is not worth a monthly fee with a system like this. I play to conquer, i play to crush, but what i conquer is mine and if you want it just take it by force.

Well, they're saying that games that don't reset the server stagnate and this is their design solution. I think that if people are aware that the world can and does go away, they won't be as upset. I'm sure if I had gotten land and spent a lot to build it up and then randomly it got destroyed by a server reset I would be upset. However, if I built the place to defend resources that I could bring back and I knew that someday it would go away, well, I'd just go with it. Like in ArcheAge, I have a bit of land which is harder to come by; if the server reset I would be upset because there goes that land. However, in this game, -everyone- loses the land as the world goes away; you'll have to just build it better elsewhere. And if you did well and got lots of resources to build stuff up, you'll have more to take away to the Eternal Kingdoms where they can be put to use permanently, I would presume.

Initially I was a bit hesitant , probably one of the crowd of people who was hoping for the game to be ffa pvp and that's that.

However the more I hear about this the more amazing it sounds. Especially with the different worlds/rules and things. IT might have a chance to make the "same" game seem quite different as you go from one world to the next with the different focus (IE Guild vs Guild, faction vs faction, etc).

I do wonder what all will be different. Hope there are things only found in certain worlds vs others so it entices people to not simply stay within one world over and over but go to others.

With each having unique rewards in terms of schematics and other things players can "show off" as they go through different campaigns and what happens.

I don't know if anyone here played it, but one of the neat things things Warhammer Online did was have a trophy system, but rather then being trophy you put on your shelf in your player house, it was a trophy/badge you actually could place onto your character, to show off your accomplishment.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wztj_x5Ea1s

It was a cosmetic thing that just let you show off what you had done. I think something like this would be great to have to reward players in the different campaigns with unique ones (only found in those worlds/campaigns). Rather then simply having a trophy on display in a guild hall these allow a more personal touch.

This is really interesting.  So a character has a faction, god, and guild.  How do these interact?  If my guild plays only on the guild ruleset, do we gain materials from victories by our faction and god teammates?  Where do those materials go and how do they get split?

So what's the point of winning all that shiny stuff, if you are naked at beginning of campaigns? Where am I going to use or wear it, at the dance on Saturday night?

When I was a kid, I played D&D with my brothers.......

- scratch that -

When I was a kid, I TRIED to play D&D with my brothers, and they would do the same as your example RISK game where they were the uncle, and I was the other family members, bored and irritated.  I'm very much on board with this idea.

So, again I say:  Take my money, now, give me this game, asap, or I'm going to lose my shize.  I really, really need to play this game already.

If that's how D&D was run by your brothers...they were doing it wrong.  You should have been able to hop in and be immersed in a living RP world, where your character would be as important to the story as any other (with a good DM/GM). 

Proper roleplaying games are like playing out characters in a movie or novel.  Making the epic story is the fun part.  People that devolve it into a combat-minutae-rich board game are basically missing the point imo (although imagination and creativity are precious commodities in this world, to be fair).  They should just play an actual board game, instead of making D&D into one.  ymmv of course.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

So what's the point of winning all that shiny stuff, if you are naked at beginning of campaigns? Where am I going to use or wear it, at the dance on Saturday night?

Not all campaigns would have you starting naked. That's where resources can be used to craft you good starting gear.

I'm looking forward to the fact I have the potential to lose and can learn from my failings through experience. The ability to become an organization known for it's high success rate during campaigns. The fierce competition for resources intrigues me. To pull together and become part of an empire greater than my one toon.

I use to play NWN on the City of Arabel server for hours on end just roleplaying indepth / player driven plots. In most cases this lead to my characters perma-death or losing complete levels in order for Kelemvor to allow my return to the mortal plane. The point is though, I never was upset about that fact because: 1) The server would reset with a new timeline periodically and 2) The time invested was rewarding and I could always start fresh with a new character / background that was even better than the last. The fresh start concept really works for me. I've lost count how many times I've restarted / tried something new in Skyrim simply because it was fun and a good feeling. I want an MMO that can have that effect too.

In addition to the above another plus to this system is the time tables. For a family man and someone who travels for work and has time to be somewhere between a casual-hardcore gamer; this game will definitely give people, like me, a chance to compete. I've always hated getting too far behind, due to real life constraints, where my actions would no longer help change the outcome. This usually leads me back to Skyrim or some other single player story driven game where I can save and continue at my leisure. The ultimate raid boss, I feel, has always been another player or an organization of players; no AI can compete.

Don't get me wrong, as many in this community, I've played many MMO's and love them and will continue to not give up on them. I'm hoping, with the rest of you, that this MMO can stand out in the crowd and deliver us something innovative. This system is taking the game in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing Dev's, looking forward to more transparency.

Take care community,

PS: In our family home, growing up, my brothers and I had a word we would say when playing Risk, "Again", as the dice rolled. "Again" and "again" we would say to each other until your entire nation was obliterated with strategic rolls of the dice. Something about that triggered rage & passion within to win. It was great to antagonize up until a nuke, in the shape of a fist, landed on the board and destroyed it all. Ah, brotherly love, the best. To this day I don't know what was worse; relentless slaughter of Risk or the deceitful scheming of Monopoly. Good times!

Edited by Wartech

I think most everyone here would be satisfied if there was one additional win condition on a world: Drive off the hunger and flip the world back to spring. The export cycle would take place, structures would persist, perhaps shake the map up some, but leave things mostly intact. Let rivals get jealous and try and knock you off your world.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

Sounds compelling, but without a static overworld with all the traditional interactions (pvp, pve, gathering), it might ring very hollow. 

Will player characters appearance change as hunger spreads?  We see the mobs are changing . . . we should as well.

A year-long campaign seems a bit long . . . unless . . . it is made up of shorter weekly campaigns so that folks can join every week.

Also consider that player characters ARE changed by the campaign . . . let's say by aging . . . maybe they could opt out for a week to rejuvenate in the eternal kingdoms.

1) And what i gain from this? Tell me what i gain.

2) So, why i have to fight for a POI, for towns and for mines if everything is resetted after?

3) I can't keep my conquers, the system take away my lands, and don't tell me that is fun because after a while, even the best of the lobby games, become stagnant and repetitive.

Is similar to GW2 WvW, after a while you asking yourself, "what the fu*k i'm doing here?"

I don't care about a name in the guild board, a trophy, or an achievement to complete a session, these things mean ZERO to me.

1) On The Shadow world, exactly what you gained in SB, until the campaign ends. At that point, the winner gains plunder for benefit in the next higher world Campaign

2) The further out from the center of the Crowfall universe map, the more lasting your gains, because those campaigns will be so much longer. Your gains in the lower worlds infuse your guild with the wherewithal to win in the higher campaigns.

3) Good question. Did those "lobby games" you haven't really explained involve huffing solvents? You seem to have trouble retaining previous statements.

I find the trophy room thing pretty sad.
I think that a world without resources could work better because will be the players to take them to eternal worlds from dying ones and create point of interest.
If EK are only trophy room i will spend less time as possible.

If that's how D&D was run by your brothers...they were doing it wrong.  You should have been able to hop in and be immersed in a living RP world, where your character would be as important to the story as any other (with a good DM/GM). 

Proper roleplaying games are like playing out characters in a movie or novel.  Making the epic story is the fun part.  People that devolve it into a combat-minutae-rich board game are basically missing the point imo (although imagination and creativity are precious commodities in this world, to be fair).  They should just play an actual board game, instead of making D&D into one.  ymmv of course.

They didn't want me to play with them, so they teamed up and killed me all the time. 

My point was, I know what it's like to play a game and try to fight against those who have been there forever...you'll never win, unless you have a complete and unrealistic stroke of luck.  With resets, even if you start Crowfall a year after it goes live, you still have a chance.  I don't care if I get killed a thousand times, I just want to know I have a chance.  I believed that in that damn D&D game because I understood it to be what you just described.  I finally said "forget it" when they killed me with a stalactite not even 5 minutes in to the game.  I knew I would never have a chance.  It's a different reason, yes, (they killed me just to make me go away, because they were asses), I'm talking about the feeling of it.  I've hated D&D ever since then.  You couldn't get me to play that game now.

They didn't want me to play with them, so they teamed up and killed me all the time. 

My point was, I know what it's like to play a game and try to fight against those who have been there forever...you'll never win, unless you have a complete and unrealistic stroke of luck.  With resets, even if you start Crowfall a year after it goes live, you still have a chance.  I don't care if I get killed a thousand times, I just want to know I have a chance.  I believed that in that damn D&D game because I understood it to be what you just described.  I finally said "forget it" when they killed me with a stalactite not even 5 minutes in to the game.  I knew I would never have a chance.  It's a different reason, yes, (they killed me just to make me go away, because they were asses), I'm talking about the feeling of it.  I've hated D&D ever since then.  You couldn't get me to play that game now.

The difference with your experience is different than what is here however. In your experience it was more singular experience for you, where as in Crowfall, it tells us to bring friends IE guilds etc. So I would assume the intent would be to join up with a force as soon as possible here. So going in to the game we been told to bring friends, because we will need them. At least that's what the email said ( i believe it was in the email )

I am going to make this post more positive than my previous 2 here :)

I can not for the life of me place this game from what we know into a specific genre. Which is awesome and great, because they told us they were doing something different.

So as I see it this is very moba'ish n a lot of ways, it's MMO as many players in the same world, RPG in some ways as well, depending on aim or not could be have some fps elements. 

So what would we label this what seems to be new genre of a game : /

Edited by sarin

The difference with your experience is different than what is here however. In your experience it was more singular experience for you, where as in Crowfall, it tells us to bring friends IE guilds etc. So I would assume the intent would be to join up with a force as soon as possible here. So going in to the game we been told to bring friends, because we will need them. At least that's what the email said ( i believe it was in the email )

I kind of thought that's what the D&D game was about...I don't even care anymore, it was awhile ago..I was a kid.  I was relating to the point made about one person always winning, every single time, becoming a force you can't reckon with.  (As stated, my experience with this feeling was brought on for different reasons, the end result is the same:  If you can't ever win, or ever have a chance to win...who the hell wants to play that?)

I think most everyone here would be satisfied if there was one additional win condition on a world: Drive off the hunger and flip the world back to spring. The export cycle would take place, structures would persist, perhaps shake the map up some, but leave things mostly intact. Let rivals get jealous and try and knock you off your world.

The main premise to this entire game seems to be that the Hunger is destroying the galaxy from the inside out. There's no saving the inner worlds. That's why we go there and plunder them for all the resources we can export.

I want to show you the simple mechanics of War of Conquest (a click game where you acquired squares to build your nation and capture orbs which gave you real-life money)

http://www.warofconquest.com/docs/doc_play.htm

its dead now btw, not advertizing

After many months... years... of playing, nations arose and fell, I havent experienced a politics-heavy (as in Clans/Armies/Nations opposing eachother) then this simple one. Sadly they deleted the cashprices and so did the excitement :P.

You'd get to a max level before you had to reset your nation and each time you'd take point with you after reset. Making it a continuous battle.

Then general swipes came after payouts.

Twas a real hard 24/7 battle with many nationmembers across the globe trying to sit on the highest-tiered orbs. Nothing was ever the same.

I hope crowfall gets this right, the basic jist sounds the same but crowfall will be so much more :)

Edited by kenpokiller