Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/02/15 - Hunger Week... It's About Time.

I don't see how system like this would function with the casual players.

Having a time-limited campaign which has many "turning points" really requires an organized and disciplined "army" which plays around 12 hours a day to dominate.

MOBAs are popular because they only last 20 minutes to an hour. A campaign that requires you to play hardcore for weeks or months is simply redonk.

Resets are also a huge problem because it the piles importance in the launch (which then forces players to play non-stop for few days).

The concept itself sounds good but I don't see how it will appeal to the masses.

I have to agree with lagoz. This type of structure is gonna drive away "casual" gamers aka myself who have real life duties and can't be playing net games 12 hours a day. I still play games very competitively and im also pretty much always in the top 5% of the player base of the games i play since i make good use of the time i play. But with this kinda system i dont see any way "casuals aka people with reallife duties and jobs" can compete and have any kinda success. I really hope you dont disregard this huge playerbase in numbers that grew up playing Computer games and does still play competitively off hours after work, since they really make a huge part of player community. Also i havent seen anything to keep solo type gaming in this game, is it something you dont even want to have in your game or something that's not revealed yet?

Edited by khan81

The only thing I would like to add is that it would be nice to have a city within the Eternal Kingdoms where all players

could meet and  have a sense of unity and home, not just a personal trophy room, but also a lively place

with taverns, shops etc. that will be persistent. Is that part of your plan?

Edited by tyranade

I'm just wondering, since the statement of their Play2Crush states "I don't want another worthless trophy" sooo isn't that exactly what EK would be about, a glorified trophy room? It better have some other function behind it, perhaps the main PvP game where player monarchies fight out?

Having a time-limited campaign which has many "turning points" really

requires an organized and disciplined "army" which plays around 12 hours

a day to dominate.

MOBAs are popular because they only last 20 minutes to an hour. A campaign

that requires you to play hardcore for weeks or months is simply redonk.

Resets are also a huge problem because it the piles importance in the launch

(which then forces players to play non-stop for few days).

The concept itself sounds good but I don't see how it will appeal to the masses.

This worries me too, -the time pressure could be a major factor and I don't

like that, I got a busy life and can't commit for longer stretches of time.

I do like the concept of a world constantly changing. but I'm not

sure about the "wipe and start over" bit. At the surface that sounds almost

like Diablo 3 which I hated with a passion.

Although the difference is that it will be a new world and not"the same but

harder"  as in Diablo. 

As I understand it there will be no PvE at all in this game so it may be that

this is not the game for me after all. At the moment I don't think it is. It will be

interesting to see how it progresses.  :)

For sure nobody tried that before. And today not only Crowfall is trying to use long-term-session-based-gameplay, but also Civilization Online. Both projects are yet in development. For sure it would be interesting for some people. So my post has no intent to dissuade Crowfall team.

But. Even if nobody tried it before, there are some aspects to discuss. First, if your players can easily destroy, and cannot really create (and it's hard to create in non-persistent worlds), you will get unbalanced community. There are some games (like Darkfall) were you can notice the consequences of such imbalance. Second, you've stated that if the game lasts forever there will be stagnation as one group of players will totally dominate. That's not correct. For sure basic designs will lead to such situation. But it is possible to balance game systems so nobody can totally win. Dominate? Yes. Forever? Not necessary. Third, wipes do really make players more active... If players do expect every wipe to be the last. What will happen if players know there will be another wipe? Forth, what should do a new player if the world/game is in the middle of its lifecycle? The only answer is to join other world. Then what will stop most of the loosing forces from switching to the next brand new world to "try again"?

Edited by Rigeborod

Very good design!
Let's see this in action ! =)

Having a time-limited campaign which has many "turning points" really requires an organized and disciplined "army" which plays around 12 hours a day to dominate.

MOBAs are popular because they only last 20 minutes to an hour. A campaign that requires you to play hardcore for weeks or months is simply redonk.

Resets are also a huge problem because it the piles importance in the launch (which then forces players to play non-stop for few days).

Probably, no-life players will always win this game.. :D

Will casual players (5-12 hours a week) have a place on this game?

Edited by rwrz

Probably, no-life players will always win this game.. :D

Will casual players (5-12 hours a week) have a place on this game?

Sadly, it seems not, and I am a sad panda as well because of this. This game will target mostly the 16-26 yrs old it seems, when you have the most free time. Or, the ppl. who do not have a family at 40, and have a lot of time. Either way, family man's with full time jobs are out. Maybe if we try to walk the way of a crafter, it might be that we will still enjoy this game.

OIW34IY.png

MA topics for recruitment.

I think all the stuff that you can win in a campaign should go to your kingdom, not personal reward, to encourage patriotism. The greater good before the individual.

Even in real life is one of the few reasons that drives man to risk everything he has.

So I write a short reply on how I understood the meaning of the game because everyone misses the persistence in this game.

Imagine this: you and your guild own land in the EK. You want to build up your keep but there aren't the materials in EK. So you and your guild decide to scavange one of the dying worlds. Unfortunatly other guilds decide to do so too. So a war errupts over the ressources in this world. To win this war one needs strategy and so on and most important a keep as base for further Operations. Maybe on strategy is to decide how much of the scavenged supplys you use for the campaign and how much you save for the EK.

Just my input on how the game my work.

When I read the "this game isn't for everyone" thing the first thing I think is THANK GOD FINALLY A GAME NOT FOR CASUALS!

So, for the ones scared about the game not being casual-friendly, maybe this game isn't for you. And I really hope so, not because I hate you, but because I'm tired of all MMOs looking for the large casual playerbase. I miss those roots from the hardcore pvp games around 2003-2004 and I think it would be nice having at least ONE game of that kind. So please casuals, let us have this one. Because you have dozens of casual MMOs to choose from but we don't.

Another thing that I thought of is that it can easily turn into a "who can stay online for the longest"  kind of

game to keep your resources protected.

For sure, we don't have enough information yet to know, but the risk is obvious.

Are sessions unique or multiple with limited players?

I mean when a campaign is goin to start all player intrested in this ruleset can join or there is a player limit and the rest is splitted into another batch of the same ruleset?

If the sessions are instanced with limited numbers of players then thsi is the final nail, i leave the game is clearly not for me (it will be a true lobby crawler), otherwise if the session in only 1 and everyone can join at any time without any limits, then is another matter and i can try it out even if there is a reset (till i get inevitably bored in repeating the same instance over and over).

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

Are session unique or multiple with limited players?

I really hope so that that's not the case, it would seriously cripple some players due to Time zones and other reasons  :(

Not to mention the game itself :/

Edited by jewels

As a boardgame aficionado, I'm somewhat happy about this approach.

My only concern is the inherit growing chasm between veterans and new players, since character progression is consistent throughout realm reset. Will guilds even recruit new players that don't meet certain attribute requirements?

Edited by rhadiel

So please casuals, let us have this one.

Totally. as I see casuls never wished the community or this game to adjust to them, it seems otherwise we try to orient to the possibilities. I mean I know I will be able to play only a few hrs / day, still, I want to try it, I don't beg for relief, or stupid raid finder, or even for PvE. I'll try it, if I don't fit in with my playstyle, I cancel my sub, and look for another game.

OIW34IY.png

MA topics for recruitment.