Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/02/15 - Hunger Week... It's About Time.

Phase 4 is Winter.  The environment is brutal.  Warmth is hard to come by.  Your kingdoms grows in strength; your neighbors falter and you demand that they swear fealty or face complete loss of the Campaign.  Instead, a handful of smaller kingdoms choose to band together against you.

WINTER IS COMING.

Can't wait. The newly named Last Call is ready for whatever you throw at us. ;)

Last Call (A community guild for friendly peoples waiting out for CrowFall :P): http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/888-last-call-a-community-for-friendly-people/

"What if characters are persistent/permanent – but the Worlds are not?"

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. 

I couldn't agree more. I'm even more excited every time some bit of news is released, and it's not just to hear something, but because it's always been something that is positive!

“The difference between the quest for the Holy Grail and someone saying ‘bring me a cup’ is the flavor text and the number of stops involved.”
― Bryan Fields

Glad to see an info drop today.  Really excited to learn more about the Hunger and the way the worlds will interact with each other.  Do you have to wait until the conflict is over before moving on?  Can you hop between multiple different worlds to help your guild out here and there?

Interesting stuff!

Between dreams and reality.

Lantern Watch

I don't get the point of the eternal kingdom...

Is the lobby, like in Dragon Nest /Vindictus/GW1 is the place where everyone meet before disappear into the gate to perform the campaign. Pratically everything is instanced during these sessions.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

Who knows, I am not the game dev:) I would assume, it would prompt you to do it before entering the campaign, or do it automatically. Again, gear is meant to be "disposable", or rather not very important. It still is of course, but it's not your ultimate goal in the game, like in WoW-type games (trying to obain that phat loot, purple gear, end-game gear, etc). This is about Crushing fools and trying to sit on the Throne (which they haven't gone over in detail yet)

How is gear not important, yet crafting is one of the main aspects of the game?

I'm very much intrigued. Some of this matches with what I was expecting, some not. But I'm much more excited today than yesterday. I'll say that. 

So much still to learn. Are you locked into a campaign for the duration or can you head back to the Eternal and drop into a new one (naked)?

Is the Eternal one giant world or a bunch of instances?

If they are instances, are they guild based, faction based, god based, individual, what? And if it's guild what happens to the unguilded?

Is there anything to do in the Eternal besides prepare for the next campaign?

I see where they Fealty comes in in the Campaigns, but does it have relevance in the Eternal?

I could keep going forever... Very excited.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Very unique concept... It'll be interesting to see how this idea of combining persistent progression and non-persistant strategy-oriented "campaigns" will play out... :)

So is a lobby game in the end? Like Dragon Nest or Vindictus, is persistent only in town where you mert people to make party for the campaign.

Except it appears you live in the campaign until it is complete, which could be 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, or who knows maybe even a year or more. They aren't set timers from what I can tell, so it is all about how the campaign unfolds, and the way people are playing.

Leaving a campaign to go back to the eternal kingdoms looks like it could come with a steep price; this is where the Import/Export rules come into play.

Edited by Murzerker

I like this idea, one thing I was worried about was the whole endless conquering world thing if this was going to be like SB so instead of turning me away. You just pushed my 2 steps forward. So far I like it, I always wanted a game that takes that whole conquer and win into a reset style of a game. Just my style of a game if I had to walk outside of Wiz/Pirates and one thing I was depressed was for most campaign matches or so on most games are well time limited to 30 minutes, or an hour. But being able to have a solid campaign world you want to conquer but it seems like you'll be able to contact other campaign worlds or even go to them for resources, etc. (Still wasn't fully sure if this was the case, if it is extremely happy) But now everyone can not feel rushed or time limited but at the same time work and dedication w/ a lot of time will bring out the best results. Big guilds/clans ofc. 

I'm digging it, not much more to be said. I like the idea of a timer using the calender, we've seen seasonal changes in games before but you took the most out of it. So props to you, can't wait for more information! :)

--Import Rules

--Export Rules

--Fealty System

So many new questions.  :o

This pretty much means that Import Rules = What you can take into a Campaign. Export Rules= What you can take out of a Campaign (resources, gear maybe, etc), Fealty System= Since you can get more in Export by Kneeling, most people would swear fealty to the "winner" to get the most resources, while others are going to be hardheaded and say "f you" and take the loss with honor.

Edited by XcomVic

Import rules = What items / gear you are allowed to bring with you to a campaign once it starts

Export rules = What you can bring out of the campaign and who can bring something out of the campaign as well as how much

Fealty system, well....

A bit more to the export than that, though. Because if you can leave at any time or only at the end of the Campaign it makes a big difference.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Wow. I wasn't sure that this was the game for me, but this concept is FANTASTIC. I can't wait. It's adaptable, so if you find something we love and things we don't, you can work around that. The devs can try new things so a short period and see how it works without throwing the whole game off balance. if we stink at a campaign, we get the chance to learn from our mistakes and start fresh.. and if we dominate we don't get to perpetually sit on a pretty throne. LOVE it. Plus, from a player continuity standpoint, if real life forces you to step away for a while, it doesn't have the "so I had to leave for a month, everything I've ever done has now been destroyed" problem that you run into with games like EVE, etc.

Can't wait to see how this works out in practice! And count me among those who really wants to know what specifically the "Hunger Resistance" stat is for. Does this mean CHARACTERS can be infected with the Hunger? That would be epic.

This type of setup is reminding me of a game I used to play called Earth2025, they changed the name later, forgot. But essentially it was a 100% text-based PvP game. Lots of building up your forces. Anyways, the server resets and different types of server rules and times the servers were up...

They also made Utopia, which was like Earth 2025 but group/kingdom based game with a fantasy setting.  I played both of them for a few years and had quite a bit of fun with them.

A bit more to the export than that, though. Because if you can leave at any time or only at the end of the Campaign it makes a big difference.

Personally, I see no other chance than that leaving the campaign automatically sets you on "lose" state, so people will not avoid "losing" by leaving from the campaign the second they are about to lose.

How is gear not important, yet crafting is one of the main aspects of the game?

Gear may not be important in EK, while it will be if you're NAKED in a new campaign. Crafters are going to have to craft gear for everyone then! Making Crafting very important when you enter those rulesets.

Crafting is an aspect of the game for sure, not sure it's a main one though, it's just going to be needed. I would put #1 aspect of the game= PvP, Character Development #2, #3 strategy/resource/fort conquering, #4 I would then put as crafting. Of course, without any gear, none of the other 3 can be accomplished:) It's all important I suppose.

Oh, I don't think that all made sense, it did when I was thinking about it.

So is a lobby game in the end? Like Dragon Nest or Vindictus, is persistent only in town where you meet people to make party for the campaign.

Not impressed with this concept, because everything will be instanced and resetted, also i dislike dungeon brawlers. Calling them mmorpg is an insult to true mmorpg.

But is your vision, is your game, but as UO and Darkfall player i'm confused and i feel a bit empty inside, maybe is too early, or maybe i expected too much, i 'll continue to follow the project but i pass from excited to skepctical.

Unfortunately, this game isn't going to appeal to all of us. 

I hope you reconsider, and open your mind to this new avenue, but if you choose to walk away and find another experience you are always welcome back to join us in Crowfall.

Export is listed as a percentage, while import is specific "all equipped items", for example. I think export is about raw resources. Pulling your character out probably falls into a different rule set, it seems like being able to keep only 40% of your items would be sort of odd.  I suspect when you leave you can take all equipped items with you, but resources and such are limited to the export rules.

Which is my biggest concern. I am hoping you can't leave a server until reset, if you want to jump into another campaign, you have to have another character. It's kind of how Earth2025 and Utopia and I'm sure the other games listed in this thread worked. You couldn't take your "kingdom/army" with you, you started all over on each server you wanted to.

A tale in the Desert? If I remember correctly it's an MMO which did the same thing.

I think you're talking about DAS TAL, a game that I just mentioned in the comment right before yours. The finite servers concept is there already.