Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ringhloth

Karma system

There needs to be some sort of penalty for killing people, otherwise you'll have people killing people who have just started playing on the off chance they might have something of value. That's bad, imo. While open-world PvP is good, a quarter of the player population going around indiscriminately killing other players, regardless of potential gains, is bad. And there are people who will do this, and already do this.

Let's look at BDO. I don't think BDO is a great mmo, and has a lot of issues, but I don't mind its karma system. You have a karma, and the more mobs you kill, the higher your karma goes. If you kill unflagged players, your karma drops. You need to flag up to kill players. Once your karma drops to 0, you are permanently flagged, and NPCs will attack you. It works pretty well, and makes it so that you will kill someone if there's some gain (they're farming the same spot as you or something) but just sitting on roads killing people who are passing by on carts and horses while AFK isn't really beneficial. Obviously, there are still people who do this and get around the karma mechanics, but it keeps it to a minimum.

Now, I don't think that Crowfall should copy and paste it. But some sort of system should be in the game to provide a cost for killing other players, so that high gear players aren't just running around killing poorly geared players, and a karma system might be that. It doesn't even have to include NPCs. It'll be clumsy to have to put every single player who I've heard kills players on a ban list, and get everyone I know to put people who are just running around killing random people on a ban list. A karma system, where someone's name shows up a different color if they have really low karma, or if I can set karma access limitations to my kingdom, might suffice.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if a karma system would work for crowfall. But thanks for being constructive and sharing your idea. The devs will read them and evaluate if all or some of it could be useful for their plans with crowfall.

As far as we know up to now, the final game will start with a tutorial and the EK's. So - different than now - players won't be thrown into the dangerous worlds immediately. If they go into the campaign worlds, they will have to decide to do so.

For now new players should just know that they should start in the PvE worlds (currently the Sanctuary servers) and that, for now, they can use their loot save spirit bank ( key) to transfer items from one world to another or to just save their inventory. I agree that these points are nowhere written in big red letters. But, frankly, some people wouldn't read it anyway.

I like the thought that people have to be cautious. If someone starts in a PvP world ... now, what do they expect? ;)

2W1ZHpA.jpg

All I'm saying is that there needs to be costs to kill people. If you, as a well geared player, can go around killing people gathering materials reliably, why not do so? Sure, some people will start banning you from their shops, but not everyone will, because it's just not possible to ban every single player killer, even if you know who they are. In the time you killed them, if you can access their inventory, you've basically done the harvesting work of someone who's spent 10-30 minutes harvesting in 30s, or less. If I told you that there was a way you could cut down on your harvesting time by 99%, you'd take it, yeah? I'm not even saying that players shouldn't decide who gets punished and who doesn't. It could be as little as a way for people to know quickly, at a glance, if this person is a frequent player killer, without opening some glossary of names on a website or even in-game. In that time, you could be dead.

well to be honest - as much as I think about it I can't seem to match it with Crowfall. 

I mean first of all - if we are using gear as method to differentiate between a high geared and a low geared player - the question is:

Why bother with highend equipment (depending on what tiers will be a common thing obviously) when you just can equip average gear and stomp them with skill and effort rather than with a little less skill/effort and a higher risk to be marked as pker and potentially ruin your interaction possibilities with ingame shops, etc.

I mean speaking for myself I'd go as far and say that players would go as far as just mass produce easy to get equipment and then try and lure other players to get a bad karma count. This also happened in BDO back in KR when I played it. Not that I have much against it, however reducing your karma was so annoying it made me actually rage quit the game a few times.... 

It could be as little as a way for people to know quickly, at a glance, if this person is a frequent player killer, without opening some glossary of names on a website or even in-game. In that time, you could be dead.

In all honesty, this made me laugh for a bit. I mean I've played solo for a few times within the Big World and also a few times with a group and I have to say everything which doesn't remotely look like an ally on the first glance is an enemy. Going with groups helps a lot and still - if you manage to pass another group harvesting it would be a shame if I got bad karma just because they were poorly geared while I had either the fortune to be in a guild or to at least import some stuff or to actually got some good stuff crafted from our crafter. 

Long story short - I don't think punishing someone killing lesser geared players is a good choice in a game which has its foundation in PvP and survival elements. It's kind of contradicting itself. Not to mention the impact on crafters and merchants. 

And to me - I don't care if the money is stained with blood, as long as it is money. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

All I'm saying is that there needs to be costs to kill people.

This game is entirely about killing people, about tearing down their buildings and winning campaigns. Why should there be penalties for doing the things players are meant to do in this game?

If you want to run around without fear of being attacked, you are playing the wrong game.

This game is entirely about killing people, about tearing down their buildings and winning campaigns. Why should there be penalties for doing the things players are meant to do in this game?

If you want to run around without fear of being attacked, you are playing the wrong game.

Only quoting this because I couldn't like it twice.

that like never worked not even once...

It works plenty, you just have to let the players sort it out, often times the developers put too many rails in that end up making it harder for players to sort things out.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I don't see why we need it, rather than a few safe zones and a bit more mobility & stealth.  Horses inbound...

re BDO model:  karma griefing was incredibly annoying.   Want a farm spot from a perfectly solid player?  Annoy them into killing you 5 times.   The only bypass was to get the PvE world to serve up the final death blow.  Here we have no PvE.  We do, however, have vessel decay. 

I believe this is already handled through the modular campaign system the game will have. If the PvE servers they come up with at launch don't cut it for those players, then they will make suggestions for tweaks on current modules and/or new module additions. Since worlds are not static, they can try new things with every round of campaigns while also keeping the ones that are solid or giving them minor tweaks to make them better.

Don't, for one second, think that the server setup you currently see in Pre-Alpha is even close to what it will be on release. I expect many different types of servers beyond the scope of what is explained on the FAQs. I expect multiple types of FFA servers, multiple types of GvG servers, multiple types of Faction PvP servers, etc. From what I have currently gathered, Eternal Kingdoms are the PvE aspect of it, but who knows if that will change. I can see PvE specific servers coming out with maybe some hints of PvP added. Anything is possible with this game. Moving away from static worlds makes all this possible.