Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eaden

Too much of a demon-hunter

Recommended Posts

Guys, I am happy for the announcement of the assassin being the next archetype. With stealth and double-jump.

But I dislike the idea of wings and gliding.

As much as it sounds super cool and fun, I don't see it fit the assassin's role or idea, and for many reasons.

Hell, make wings and gliding disciplines and / or gear if needed, or another archetype altogether.

So, I am eager to give this "hybrid" a try, but that is definitely not conventional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree the wings are an odd choice for a stealth character I'm happy with it.  Crowfall seems to be about having interesting racial/class combinations.  And having a character with permanent semi-stealth, double jump AND gliding capabilities makes her an excellent scout choice IMO.  If I need to get around the map looking for enemies and resources without attracting too much notice then she's a pretty good pick for that.  And if things get serious then I just look for the nearest cliff and jump off it and glide away (assuming there are cliffs around).

One thing I do hope for is a decent range of customization, including the wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh I think it fits fine...The mobility advantage that double jumping and gliding has over other ATs fills the agile/mobile rogue gameplay a lot of people love. It is a little weird, but I've been following since assassin was announced and they always said she'd have wings so maybe I was just expecting it/readying myself more for the combo. 

 

I'm glad it won't be the "conventional" rogue with full stealth, horizontal mobility, and non-positional attacks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy ACE has fulfilled the KS promise of wings for the Fae.

I only hope that these movement powers mentioned in the article provide some means for her to gain altitude using stamina and those lovely wings.


Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eaden said:

As much as it sounds super cool and fun, I don't see it fit the assassin's role or idea, and for many reasons.

Such as?
I'd say it makes perfect sense for a character with positional attacks to have high mobility.
Double jump and gliding suits perfectly in it.

You say it's too much demon-hunter, but then you say it's not conventional...
There are lots of previous games out there, and lots of different lore, mythology and folklore.
All our knowledge, our culture and our experiences end up influencing the way we act and the way we feel other things, nothing comes out of nowhere.
An assassin with wings? You had one in Aion some years before WoW's demon hunter release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't bash my Waifu.

 

On a serious note, I think the wings perfectly suits an Assassin.. Hiding in shadows, leaping down from a tall building and kill its target and almost disappear into thin air afterwards.

Its a more original concept of an assassin than the boring old gaming trope of "Rogue".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We knew she would have wings from the first time we saw concept art of her. A main concept of the game and its ATs is to not be conventional not be cookie cutter. We have an AT thats half horse half man, a walking talking guinea pig and wings is were you draw the line? Ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wings & gliding sound fun.  It fits.  

I hope it becomes a Rune.  (Gear?  That's probably count-to-5-holy-hand-grenade right out.)

Racial features do exist on Runes, but they're rare.  E.g "Fae Kin" fire/thorns and "Treefolk" bark skin.  Additional thoughts on what can be part of a Discipline:

  •   90% the everything important is available:  Stealth, CC, Crit, Block, Heal, AOE, Speed, etc.  
  •   Neither Burrowing nor Teleport -- currently the two most interesting movement skills -- are Runes.  
  •   Particularly lacking are also ranged skills.  Perhaps they'll be available as missing attacks and Special Items.  

Needless asides:  Announcing the first Ranger Games, where points are awarded for flushing and popping Assassins.  Announcing the Holy Pegasus League, for Legionnaires one-upping Assassins with a wing rune and Marshall (AOE root) rune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I was not aware of the wings (I've never realized that the ones in the concept arts were actually meant to be). :)

Now, about the reasons I found this damn weird, is that it is completely illogical. Here are the reasons why I think so (does not mean I am right or wrong, just that it is not making sense to me):

  • Stealth has always been used by animals that has no other way to escape their predators, or have no other better way to get to their preys.
  • Stealth is based on contrast of colors, lights and shadows, deceiving shapes. I understand that it can mostly only be translated by transparency in game tho.
  • Why the hell would we use daggers, the shortest ranged weapon ever, if we can fly and glide? Crossbows and / or spears would much more take advantages of this ability.
  • If we plan to dive onto archetypes, then why not thinking about CC based on claw-like weapons instead? We could dive, get a handle on an archetype, and displace it with us, as an eagle would do?

Really, I would make a much more classic rogue (D&D style I'd say), and do a DPS / tank out of the current Assassin concept.

So, as I say, I know CF makes sure to be different from other games, and that is refreshing. That is why I am willing to give the concept of this AT a try, because yes, it could be damn fun to play. And in the end, who knows, it is an assassin, and not a rogue, so maybe we'll have something with deceptions, poisons, decoys, stealth, etc, called something else. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eaden said:

 

  • Stealth has always been used by animals that has no other way to escape their predators, or have no other better way to get to their preys.
  • Stealth is based on contrast of colors, lights and shadows, deceiving shapes. I understand that it can mostly only be translated by transparency in game tho.
  • Why the hell would we use daggers, the shortest ranged weapon ever, if we can fly and glide? Crossbows and / or spears would much more take advantages of this ability.
  • If we plan to dive onto archetypes, then why not thinking about CC based on claw-like weapons instead? We could dive, get a handle on an archetype, and displace it with us, as an eagle would do?

 

Game stealth and environmental stealth are 2 very different definitions of the word stealth. Environmental stealth is based on camoflauge, stalking, etc...The things you listed. So yah, game stealth doesn't need to follow the same ruleset and encompass all that. 

The assassin uses daggers because it's the most common rogue/thief/assassin weapon. I'd argue you can make MORE use of daggers because you have not only horizontal but vertical mobility as well. Idk in what scenario a tank would use double jump/glide seeing as tanks have generally far more mass and want to stay on the ground protecting allies. That said, there will be weapon disciplines if you'd like to switch up your weapon set. 

The last point does sound really cool. But I have a feeling there won't be many instances where we will actually have the height advantage to dive...The double jump/glide will be all about repositioning me thinks, and not necessarily as the engagement ability. Plus characters have actual mass in CF and I imagine the assassin will be on the lower end of that scale...Which would make it hard for her to pin or displace characters 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eaden said:

Well, I was not aware of the wings (I've never realized that the ones in the concept arts were actually meant to be). :)

Now, about the reasons I found this damn weird, is that it is completely illogical. Here are the reasons why I think so (does not mean I am right or wrong, just that it is not making sense to me):

  • Stealth has always been used by animals that has no other way to escape their predators, or have no other better way to get to their preys.
  • Stealth is based on contrast of colors, lights and shadows, deceiving shapes. I understand that it can mostly only be translated by transparency in game tho.
  • Why the hell would we use daggers, the shortest ranged weapon ever, if we can fly and glide? Crossbows and / or spears would much more take advantages of this ability.
  • If we plan to dive onto archetypes, then why not thinking about CC based on claw-like weapons instead? We could dive, get a handle on an archetype, and displace it with us, as an eagle would do?

Really, I would make a much more classic rogue (D&D style I'd say), and do a DPS / tank out of the current Assassin concept.

So, as I say, I know CF makes sure to be different from other games, and that is refreshing. That is why I am willing to give the concept of this AT a try, because yes, it could be damn fun to play. And in the end, who knows, it is an assassin, and not a rogue, so maybe we'll have something with deceptions, poisons, decoys, stealth, etc, called something else. :)

 

 

I would say an Eagle is being stealthy when it can go unnoticed in the air, dive down and attack its pray in seconds.

 

I think you are reading too much into stealth as the common Rogue Steal Mechanic we see in MMO's. I think its fun that ACE decided to revitalize the class into something more original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eaden said:

Well, I was not aware of the wings (I've never realized that the ones in the concept arts were actually meant to be). :)

Now, about the reasons I found this damn weird, is that it is completely illogical. Here are the reasons why I think so (does not mean I am right or wrong, just that it is not making sense to me):

  • Stealth has always been used by animals that has no other way to escape their predators, or have no other better way to get to their preys.
  • Stealth is based on contrast of colors, lights and shadows, deceiving shapes. I understand that it can mostly only be translated by transparency in game tho.
  • Why the hell would we use daggers, the shortest ranged weapon ever, if we can fly and glide? Crossbows and / or spears would much more take advantages of this ability.
  • If we plan to dive onto archetypes, then why not thinking about CC based on claw-like weapons instead? We could dive, get a handle on an archetype, and displace it with us, as an eagle would do?

Really, I would make a much more classic rogue (D&D style I'd say), and do a DPS / tank out of the current Assassin concept.

So, as I say, I know CF makes sure to be different from other games, and that is refreshing. That is why I am willing to give the concept of this AT a try, because yes, it could be damn fun to play. And in the end, who knows, it is an assassin, and not a rogue, so maybe we'll have something with deceptions, poisons, decoys, stealth, etc, called something else. :)

Good rule of thumb with concept art is, especially for ACE in particular, if its in the concept rendering then 99.9% chance it'll be that way in the live game. ACE uses concept art not as a general guideline like other Devs might they use it as a direct transition into the live game.

 

and about the rest, just seems to me like you're kind of contradicting yourself with your points. I mean you say you like ACE thinking out of the box and not being conventional but yet you want this class to be more conventional and like already used Rogue/Assassin class concepts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.

 

But if "skeet shot" out of the air to either (X) HP or from (Y) height . . .

 

. . . . the resulting uncontrolled fall produces a 5 sec stun/prone.

 

Note:  I'm not "anti-glider".  I'm just tired of 50-percenter implementations anymore in ez-mode games.  Yin & Yang.

Edited by Bramble
Grammar

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also, if you don't like daggers, look at the new post about combat disciplines, you can take weapon disciplines that let you use a weapon not allowable by your class, and the bow is a specific example.  So if you want a sniping assassin, you can do it now.  granted, your skill loadout will be limited compared to an actual range class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I managed to make it about halfway through the OPs first paragraph when an enormous migraine hit me. The further into the post I got, the worse it got. By the time I got to the end of it, I was blind in one eye and had a high pitched ringing noise in both ears.

When I flipped back to the main forum page, it all went away. 

Coincidence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, scree said:

So I managed to make it about halfway through the OPs first paragraph when an enormous migraine hit me. The further into the post I got, the worse it got. By the time I got to the end of it, I was blind in one eye and had a high pitched ringing noise in both ears.

When I flipped back to the main forum page, it all went away. 

Coincidence?

I love your cynical point of view on posts on these forums!

Why do people complain about wings when its an element to the gameplay, maybe they should just rename her to something else and ditch the assasin since everyone her has a thought on how a typical assasin should be looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2017 at 6:56 AM, zinnie said:

Don't bash my Waifu.

 

On a serious note, I think the wings perfectly suits an Assassin.. Hiding in shadows, leaping down from a tall building and kill its target and almost disappear into thin air afterwards.

Its a more original concept of an assassin than the boring old gaming trope of "Rogue".

All I could think of while reading this was Batman ha! ...Minus the killing part I guess. If I didn't clarify that, some Batman Fanboy would be having a tantrum lol.

Screw it, I'm going to name my Assassin "Batman" just to spite. =P

Edited by Psycho-Phobic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...