Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

On the Horizon: Combat disciplines - Official discussion thread

Oh... oh this is good.

An archetype may end up with fewer disciplines because their core mechanics or base powers are so strong it justifies removing a discipline slot. (Myrmidon, I’m looking at you!)

So you plan on reverting changes made to the Myrm then? :lol:

Edited by mrmoneda

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

interesting.

will remain to be seen how the choice and balance / overlap with class roles turn out (and restrictions in terms of number of stones by classes or who is prevented from what)

would love to hear more about exploration skills and stones myself

i really don't agree on the approach of limited choice to the 'base op' classes

will runestones either require or feature any skill training requirements or progression?

runestone crafters going to be popular! :)

the detail about thralls was also pretty cool

arcane archer sounds kickass

i am curious how this will work and related to multiple power trays in terms of adding extra powers in - e.g. will single bar characters get access to a second tray - or will two tray archetypes get any more room etc...

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

6 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

i really don't agree on the approach of limited choice to the 'base op' classes

SB did something like this but it wasn't quantity that they were limited by. Instead, certain classes and races could only take certain things. For instance, to take the Forgemaster rune, you had to be a dwarf.

To take Blackmask, you had to be a rogue based class.

This allowed for a bit better control on the balance than just limiting slots. I would not be surprised if we saw archetype limitations on some of them.

C4sIZDW.gif

2 solid updates this week! Hopefully you guys can keep up this pace and we'll be playing something close to the actual game by Spring/early Summer.

It feels sooo good! Who ever did those runestone icon designs for disciplines needs a huge cookie, they look amazing and I love the fact that each type of discipline rune is easily distinguishable.

I might dust off my Ranger just for that Arcane Archer though :o

Very nice! This will seriously open up classes and builds and really create some diversity. Still tho I can't even imagine how this will be balanced lol. For me, its still the fessors, with all that mobility and broken damage, now they get a boost on top of it all with disciplines, will have to see how it all pans out

Can't wait to test this as it's been my second most long awaited thing that has entered the big world, first was my templar <3.

krevra.png

First thought - I want Friar for my knight, even without having seen the rest of the options.

Second thought 

An archetype may end up with fewer disciplines because their core mechanics or base powers are so strong it justifies removing a discipline slot. (Myrmidon, I’m looking at you!)

Yeah, you're looking at the weakest archetype in the game at present.  

The discipline system looks cool, but my faith in ACE's design team being able to provide even a semblance of balance has been badly shaken.   You ignore balance concerns for months, then when you do take a pass at it, you hit the class so hard with the nerf bat it becomes unplayable.  The Myrm did too much damage for a tank, and the C power was ridiculous.  So you tuned the C power so far down that it's ridiculous the other way, and you destroyed a. his survivability and b. the entire concept of the class (take more dmg to deal more dmg - risk a bigger crash to do more dmg).