Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

On the Horizon: Combat disciplines - Official discussion thread

Just now, Handies said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the crafting of Discs.I feel like putting them on named mobs like in SB would have been the better choice. This would create hotspots.

We've got POIs for that, plus mobs will still have additives and such.

7 minutes ago, durenthal said:

First thought - I want Friar for my knight, even without having seen the rest of the options.

Second thought 

Yeah, you're looking at the weakest archetype in the game at present.  

The discipline system looks cool, but my faith in ACE's design team being able to provide even a semblance of balance has been badly shaken.   You ignore balance concerns for months, then when you do take a pass at it, you hit the class so hard with the nerf bat it becomes unplayable.  The Myrm did too much damage for a tank, and the C power was ridiculous.  So you tuned the C power so far down that it's ridiculous the other way, and you destroyed a. his survivability and b. the entire concept of the class (take more dmg to deal more dmg - risk a bigger crash to do more dmg).

The myrm definitely doesn't feel like any sorta tank now, and its damage is okay at best. If going to keep damage where it's at its survivability needs to go up. Makes me worry for my glorious templar and losing its ability to tank as well or even kill a fly. I just hope the baseline class doesn't get nerfed to the ground and then force it to rely on disciplines. They would have more slots of anything.

Edited by krevra
added moar stuffz

krevra.png

4 minutes ago, Handies said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the crafting of Discs.I feel like putting them on named mobs like in SB would have been the better choice. This would create hotspots.

3 minutes ago, Arkade said:

We've got POIs for that, plus mobs will still have additives and such.

Also this:

Major disciplines require finding and binding a specific kind of thrall to a soul gem, and then using that soul gem in the crafting process. (i.e. a Friar thrall is used to craft a Friar runestone.) Finally, Minor disciplines will require rare components that have been looted or harvested from NPCs.

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

how will you deal with differing base class resources (rage, mana, pips, energy, fury, essence and "stamina") and how this interacts with discipline powers - will they be supercharge or cooldown only generally?

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

22 minutes ago, Phylor the Jester said:

SB did something like this but it wasn't quantity that they were limited by. Instead, certain classes and races could only take certain things. For instance, to take the Forgemaster rune, you had to be a dwarf.

To take Blackmask, you had to be a rogue based class.

This allowed for a bit better control on the balance than just limiting slots. I would not be surprised if we saw archetype limitations on some of them.

Yup, each Discipline has a series of Archetypes that can use it. They are mostly limited by available animations for that archetype, however in some cases we don't want to give out certain aspects such as Stealth to every archetype.

The can equip portion of the tooltip wasn't ready in time for the screenshots. The code for it just got checked in about 10 minutes ago.

For example Arcane Archer's Can equip looks like : Knght, Lgnr, Rgnr, Assn, Myrm, Tmpr, Chmp, Stlk

8 minutes ago, krevra said:

Very nice! This will seriously open up classes and builds and really create some diversity. Still tho I can't even imagine how this will be balanced lol. For me, its still the fessors, with all that mobility and broken damage, now they get a boost on top of it all with disciplines, will have to see how it all pans out

Can't wait to test this as it's been my second most long awaited thing that has entered the big world, first was my templar <3.

Yes it will! X Disc + Y Disc + G Archetype may make a super broken thing, finding them is part of the fun!

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

So nice to finally start hearing about and getting into the real meat of the character customization and progression system.

So  just from the examples used if one was to get both Master of Bows and Arcane Archer I assume you get access to all those new abilities at once? and for the LMB ability I assume it depends and type of arrow equipped as to which ability will fire?

So yeah its possible to get whole new tray of abilities if one wants. A lot more them some were (negatively) assuming.

5 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

how will you deal with differing base class resources (rage, mana, pips, energy, fury, essence and "stamina") and how this interacts with discipline powers - will they be supercharge or cooldown only generally?

Each Discipline power will use the resource type of the current archetype it is in. We have a way to convert discipline resource costs to archetype resource costs in the works right now.  This should make using any of those powers feel pretty seamless.

Thomas Blair
Follow us on Twitter 

23 minutes ago, durenthal said:

First thought - I want Friar for my knight, even without having seen the rest of the options.

Second thought 

Yeah, you're looking at the weakest archetype in the game at present.  

The discipline system looks cool, but my faith in ACE's design team being able to provide even a semblance of balance has been badly shaken.   You ignore balance concerns for months, then when you do take a pass at it, you hit the class so hard with the nerf bat it becomes unplayable.  The Myrm did too much damage for a tank, and the C power was ridiculous.  So you tuned the C power so far down that it's ridiculous the other way, and you destroyed a. his survivability and b. the entire concept of the class (take more dmg to deal more dmg - risk a bigger crash to do more dmg).

I have a feeling this is another case of this article being written weeks/months before it was actually released.

3 minutes ago, thomasblair said:

Yup, each Discipline has a series of Archetypes that can use it. They are mostly limited by available animations for that archetype, however in some cases we don't want to give out certain aspects such as Stealth to every archetype.

The can equip portion of the tooltip wasn't ready in time for the screenshots. The code for it just got checked in about 10 minutes ago.

For example Arcane Archer's Can equip looks like : Knght, Lgnr, Rgnr, Assn, Myrm, Tmpr, Chmp, Stlk

Awesome. Kinda figured but it wasn't mentioned

C4sIZDW.gif

6 minutes ago, pang said:

So nice to finally start hearing about and getting into the real meat of the character customization and progression system.

So  just from the examples used if one was to get both Master of Bows and Arcane Archer I assume you get access to all those new abilities at once? and for the LMB ability I assume it depends and type of arrow equipped as to which ability will fire?

So yeah its possible to get whole new tray of abilities if one wants. A lot more them some were (negatively) assuming.

From the article:

You may have noticed in recent playtests that powers can be moved from the Power UI to the Active Power bar. We’ve also added three slots for passive powers, as well as enabled the retaliate power to be swapped. It is our intention that players be able to obtain many more active, passive, and retaliate powers than they can actively loadout into their Power tray.

Loading a power into your Power tray will set that power initially on cooldown, so that our clever macro-writing players won’t able to abuse this system and “insta-swap” powers in and out to effectively access all of their powers at once.

So, you'll have a limited number of power slots and you'll have to choose which to use from your base class and all your discipline powers.

Edited by Svenn

Guild Leader of Seeds of War

2 minutes ago, pang said:

Master of Bows + Arcane Archer + Sharpshooter + Legionnaire, means you could have a full ranged tray of Bow powers if you wanted to play bow-centaur-healy-gonna-annoy-the-hell-outta-everyone guy/gal.

Thomas Blair
Follow us on Twitter 

2 minutes ago, thomasblair said:

Master of Bows + Arcane Archer + Sharpshooter + Legionnaire, means you could have a full ranged tray of Bow powers if you wanted to play bow-centaur-healy-gonna-annoy-the-hell-outta-everyone guy/gal.

Awesome. Always great when expectations are exceeded. Even I didn't think the Discipline system would be that deep just by itself.