Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

On the Horizon: Combat disciplines - Official discussion thread

32 minutes ago, Handies said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the crafting of Discs.I feel like putting them on named mobs like in SB would have been the better choice. This would create hotspots.

You need special Thralls to make the Disciplines. That could create hotspots in exactly the same way, even if you have to do some crafting after you hunt the Thrall.

I hope so, anyway. Discipline hunting was great fun in SB.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

11 minutes ago, thomasblair said:

Each Discipline power will use the resource type of the current archetype it is in. We have a way to convert discipline resource costs to archetype resource costs in the works right now.  This should make using any of those powers feel pretty seamless.

I entirely disagree with this assessment if you compare the base mechanics of say essence, stamina or rage generation to say mana or pips

Also - how will the number of base trays effect the number of 'extra' powers an archetype can equip?

e.g. will a champion have to slot it on to one bar - while a druid can slot into two bars etc?

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I'm so glad disciplines will retain their original proposed scope and won't be as limited as they were detailed in the first big livestream event. I don't really have a single problem with this system based on the article. Good job guys, this one's a winner.

30 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

I entirely disagree with this assessment if you compare the base mechanics of say essence, stamina or rage generation to say mana or pips

Also - how will the number of base trays effect the number of 'extra' powers an archetype can equip?

e.g. will a champion have to slot it on to one bar - while a druid can slot into two bars etc?

Ranger could get away with using Weapon Disciplines, but Druid might be tricky. I wouldn't be surprised if Druid can only use Arcane Weapons Disciplines.

Bookworm Druids and Ninja Druids all aboard :P

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

@thomasblair Do you have an expected timeline on the next introduction of disciplines you guys have designed? In particular, any delicious healing specific disciplines being shared soon?

PS: Completely nerding out.

Edited by Nivhawk

Of the Hawk People

I'm very pleased to see the Discipline system open up alternate weapon options. Weapon locked archetypes was one of my biggest concerns about the game. Melee frostweaver inc! (I hope).

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Wow, this is a much more robust system than I expected it would be. Very excited! Everything sounds great. 

Hopefully the way the system works with archetype restrictions, it will prevent "do it all" builds, like picking up a fessor that already has dps, mobility and CC, then giving him heals, survivability, stealth and whatever else is needed to make a class that doesn't need to rely on any other. Otherwise the idea of team composition and classes that rely on each other to operate might sufffer. 

This is glorious news!  

Based on the title, the first iteration will not include harvesting and crafting discs, which is fine by me, those can wait.  

Any eta on a comprehensive list of craftable combat discs or are you guys gonna make us wait to see them in the crafting UI?

Hg0LXwa.png

Damn, some of these are really cool. Looking like if you fully want to become a dedicated archer and what not you need multiple discipline runes of similar types to fill the bar.

Edited by helix

I'm digging the differentiation of weak classes (e.g. humans) with brawny classes (e.g. Centaur, Minotaur) in the discipline runestone side of things.

Will the beast races really feel strong?  Is it your intention to make them feel stronger than others?  I recall a concept being thrown early on about some archetypes being beefier for direct confrontation in exchange for higher upkeep costs.  For the sake of illustration, Centaur beats Knight or Templar 1 on 1, but would become extremely vulnerable if caught in a skirmish during "Winter".  Death to attrition.

Is the idea being played with, or has it been shelved for way later?

Regarding runestones.  I want to be relevant as a crafter.  Keep it in mind!

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

1 hour ago, Nivhawk said:

@thomasblair Do you have an expected timeline on the next introduction of disciplines you guys have designed? In particular, any delicious healing specific disciplines being shared soon?

PS: Completely nerding out.

No expected timeline, we will see how fast.

23 minutes ago, chodie said:

This is glorious news!  

Based on the title, the first iteration will not include harvesting and crafting discs, which is fine by me, those can wait.  

Any eta on a comprehensive list of craftable combat discs or are you guys gonna make us wait to see them in the crafting UI?

The output is determined by the wildcard slot on the recipe, so the list is nice and slim with 1 Weapon Disc Recipe, and 1 Major Disc Recipe to generate all the various kinds of recipes. Will say JC's are needed to polish the soul gems and stonemasons needed for the polishing paste for them. 

6 minutes ago, blazzen said:

It would seem you need a ton of new animations for the disc system. Is this something you plan to be in for soft launch?

We do need tons of animations. Mainly for the melee animations.

A cheap disc will be 2-3 powers per archetype allowed of a weapon style that matches. Ie  The 1h Axe for a Knight just works with all his existing base animations. So the total cost  for allowing him to use Master of Axes is the 3 animations for the powers that come with Master of Axes. However 6 archetypes can use that Disc, so we need 18 animations total to complete this Disc. Then add FX, icons, and sounds ontop of that.

An expensive disc is like one for the Druid where we decided to give her a shield. Just allowing her to equip shields requires reanimating all her base powers to work with a 1h/shield, and idles, fidgets, movement tree, and blends. Roughly 90 animations. This is super expensive and we wont do many of these. However this does enable her to forever use shields and associated shield discs if we allow it.

The nice part is for many of the buff/cast powers we can use a handful of generic animations. The FX ends up selling these powers more than anything.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

How will promotion classes compare with disciplines?  Are promotions even still part of the system?  I notice that the current Templar skill tree doesn't have the rudimentary promotion class trees, which may not be a big deal.  Or maybe it is a big deal...

rSHxVEY.gif