Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

On the Horizon: Combat disciplines - Official discussion thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, thomasblair said:

Challenge Accepted!

I chortled mightily! It was an attempt at humor, but seriously. Shadowbane had a number of Discipline runes (close to 50). Unfortunately, by the end of the game, most of them (due to balance) were not optimal. I'd love to see every Disc rune have it's place, and not have the Meta funnel it down to a small group of viable runes. Love this roll out though. Awesome job by the team. I'm excited. 


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, armegeddon said:

I chortled mightily! It was an attempt at humor, but seriously. Shadowbane had a number of Discipline runes (close to 50). Unfortunately, by the end of the game, most of them (due to balance) were not optimal. I'd love to see every Disc rune have it's place, and not have the Meta funnel it down to a small group of viable runes. Love this roll out though. Awesome job by the team. I'm excited. 

I recall the discs that made/used pets to be useless as pathing was a problem in SB.

That said, is the Vampire disc going to be in crowfall?  I recall my main SB character was a Vamp Assassin, and was a great support ganker, not so great in a toe to toe fight against tanks.  But fun :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jtoddcoleman Since you are happily perusing this thread for great questions, I felt obliged to come up with another.

Your live stream preview way back when, showed us a pretty substantive list of disciplines. Considering the increased functionality and scope of disciplines, do you have a target in mind for just how many you might plan on offering for soft-launch? Has this number decreased/increased/stayed the same despite the scope change?

Clearly the system would support post-launch additions, and these could be substantially cheaper to put out then new archetypes altogether so that bodes well for an evolving meta for those looking for long-term sustainability.

 

Sort of on-topic, I know you avoided crafting or exploration disciplines in this reveal because of the horizon/time needed to work on animations to support combat disciplines, but curious minds would like to know....  if Gathering disciplines will increase +mining stats akin to the mining pick bonus, or more importantly will these grant access to the difficult-to-attain 5th point of Plentiful Harvesting?

We sorta see references scattered throughout the tree about "specialized bags" which combined with the previous livestream that mention the disciplines granting an item, leave me to believe these are still to be a thing. I suppose along that vein of questioning; despite only revealing a limited amount of disciplines, are you still planning on awarding specialized items for arming a discipline?

Lots of loaded questions hehe ;)

Edited by scree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scree said:

@jtoddcoleman Since you are happily perusing this thread for great questions, I felt obliged to come up with another.

Your live stream preview way back when, showed us a pretty substantive list of disciplines. Considering the increased functionality and scope of disciplines, do you have a target in mind for just how many you might plan on offering for soft-launch? Has this number decreased/increased/stayed the same despite the scope change?

Approximately 50 combat disciplines, 50 crafting disciplines and 50 exploration disciplines.

Source: I think it's the same video you mentioned. Minute 17:10

 


"Las batallas van y vienen pero mis soldados son eternos"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scree said:

@jtoddcoleman Since you are happily perusing this thread for great questions, I felt obliged to come up with another.

Your live stream preview way back when, showed us a pretty substantive list of disciplines. Considering the increased functionality and scope of disciplines, do you have a target in mind for just how many you might plan on offering for soft-launch? Has this number decreased/increased/stayed the same despite the scope change?

TL;DR.  I'll give you 1 answer.

The number hasn't changed significantly.  Yes, it's a ton of work, but we all agree that the game needs it.  

So we're just going to step up and make it happen.

Todd

ACE


J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vectious said:

I am pretty much happy with the Discipline runes first iteration.

The hot swappable has been addressed. Once applied they are gone. Im with it. 

The weapon rune has addressed my worry about different weapons for different archetypes and the willingness to add animations. 

The change in dynamic seems to be there, hopefully it will be enough.

 

However, my only concern is breaking these up in to type may not be the way to go. Since the main one is the middle discipline rune, the other are sorta...extra flavor that are minor adjustments. So your build becomes the archetype and then the middle rune, with minor adjustments around it with the weapon slot and the minor slot.

 

My alternative suggestion is this:

Instead, give the runes a value points and then give each archetype max number of points. In this way, to tune balances you can increase/decrease points on individual runes AND archetypes themselves, even going further, on the promotion classes as well. Then you also have the option to completely remove the number of rune restrictions. Additionally, you can add extra points to skill trees somewhere to enhance your characters customization indirectly. 

This this way its possible to only focus on minor runes but end up with much more runes overall. So if you like the base archetype so much you can give him a bunch of small buffs to make his baseline so much stronger instead of trying to change his dynamic. 

It all depends on how you assign your points.

I noticed the different runes had different sizes in the pictures accompanying the news release and thought an alternative to your suggestion would be: each AT has a certain "size" of discipline "inventory", say 4x4 for example's sake, and however many disc runes you can fit in to that inventory is the max you can equip. Instead of "2 major, 2 minor, etc..." you can do any combination of disc runes that your vessel's "rune inventory" will fit.  

It's a thought, albeit a hasty one I put about 1.5 minutes in to, and admittedly premature as we haven't even tested them yet. 


Hg0LXwa.png

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coolwaters said:

I wonder how disciplines that grant abilities will work with the resource lacking ATs like Templar and Rat? Will they require like 1 pip or 2 or something?

I think earlier in the post JTC said they balanced for that? I could be totally recalling false information but I think I saw that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@coolwaters

On 3/2/2017 at 2:51 PM, thomasblair said:

Each Discipline power will use the resource type of the current archetype it is in. We have a way to convert discipline resource costs to archetype resource costs in the works right now.  This should make using any of those powers feel pretty seamless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, coolwaters said:

I glossed right over it. Thx JJ.

Can't wait to see it. We're getting to the good part. Exciting times around here.

You bet, looking forward to it myself. Theorycrafting dreams are slowly coming true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then a guy I met before is arriving.  ;)

wizardgraphicalclient-2017-03-04-18-42-0


Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main concern with what's been put forth is the part about getting the power bar of another class.  Is that the full power bar, or a subset of it?  I feel like getting a subset (reduced selection of the powers and/or lesser variants of them) creates a lot of choices for diversity, but getting the full bar actually reduces diversity.  At that point what's the difference between a knight with the druid rune, and a druid with the knight rune?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KohrAh said:

My main concern with what's been put forth is the part about getting the power bar of another class.  Is that the full power bar, or a subset of it?  I feel like getting a subset (reduced selection of the powers and/or lesser variants of them) creates a lot of choices for diversity, but getting the full bar actually reduces diversity.  At that point what's the difference between a knight with the druid rune, and a druid with the knight rune?

You might want to look at the examples listed in the article. You won't be getting the entire power kit from another archetype. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2017 at 3:52 PM, Illililili said:

I recall the discs that made/used pets to be useless as pathing was a problem in SB.

That said, is the Vampire disc going to be in crowfall?  I recall my main SB character was a Vamp Assassin, and was a great support ganker, not so great in a toe to toe fight against tanks.  But fun :)

 

While pathing issues definitely were an issue for any mob style creatures in the game, the pets from the Discs were always useless because they didn't really deal much damage and they died extremely easily. Both the wizard and Huntress pets at times were effective because they could hit for a decent amount of damage and didn't just instantly fall over. In larger engagements, they generally were not as effective but smaller type engagements they were useful.

 

The pets from Animator or Summoner were basically only used as mana batteries for doomsayers or occasionally an AoE target in larger stack fights.


C4sIZDW.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phylor the Jester said:

 

While pathing issues definitely were an issue for any mob style creatures in the game, the pets from the Discs were always useless because they didn't really deal much damage and they died extremely easily. Both the wizard and Huntress pets at times were effective because they could hit for a decent amount of damage and didn't just instantly fall over. In larger engagements, they generally were not as effective but smaller type engagements they were useful.

 

The pets from Animator or Summoner were basically only used as mana batteries for doomsayers or occasionally an AoE target in larger stack fights.

What about pets that are not for fighting but for "good doggy, doggy, search for that nasty thief/assassin" purposes? Or a healing pet that hands you a nice healing potion like in the alps where they have the Bernadiner-dog that carries your "just-in-time" and always welcomed whiskey-flask?

A falcon could spot enemies.

So I can think of a lot of non-fighting-pets.

Even Wotan had two raven instead of email. Imagine.

 

 

 

Edited by StefKalisch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StefKalisch said:

What about pets that are not for fighting but for "good doggy, doggy, search for that nasty thief/assassin" purposes? Or a healing pet that hands you a nice healing potion like in the alps where they have the Bernadiner-dog that carries your "just-in-time" and always welcomed whiskey-flask?

A falcon could spot enemies.

So I can think of a lot of non-fighting-pets.

Even Wotan had two raven instead of email. Imagine.

 

 

 

Wotan (or Odin as others know him) had the 2 ravens named Huginn and Muninn who's names ment "Thought" and "Memory" respectively, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...