Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Druid Discipline Possibilities

Anthrage

So, my fellow druids, hampered and hamstrung as we are, do we see any hope in the Discipline system for addressing our handful of fundamential issues? While we do not have a complete list of Disciplines yet, to say nothing of what they do, might we speculate on what kinds of things given the few existing examples that might improve our lot? More and better heals? Perhaps new powers that use our Essence resource pool differently, or help us in managing it? The ability to use actual physical-damage based weapons instead of just our Arcane abilities? What does the grove think?

For myself, I would love to see some melee opportunities opened up (some of you knew that was coming), and perhaps some better or more effective healing spells. The Druid heals are all problematic but seeing these few new power examples has made it clear to me perhaps for the first time that the default power set of any AT is not intended for continued use throughout that AT Vessel's lifetime. It reminds me of Diablo or Diablo 2, where at early levels, you might use spells like Firebolt of Fissure, but at higher levels, instead use Fireball or Meteor etc.

My initial view or understanding of Discipline and Promotion Powers was that they would be used in addition to the 'base' powers, but now I am starting to see that they might and most probably will replace those powers, with superior ones. This is very good news for the Druid I think, especially.

Also, shield!

The thing is the discipline system would need to offer to some pretty incredible passive bonuses to fix our issues, which I don't believe the system is designed to do, especially if it's anything like the SB disc rune's. It would essentially need to passively make us as good as we should passively be now. If the system does offer us something of use, it will most likely be abilities, in which case our 10 button toolbar will be relegated to 4(ok that's overkill, maybe 6?) abilities.

If you're right about disc and promo powers replacing powers, then we might indeed be in a good spot. If orbs, wisp and healing rain remain our most effective ways of healing, we're screwed. If the damage in death remains how it is, we're custarded. We have to also hope these replacements are worthwhile of course, and that another AT that is already more effective in the same role, doesn't receive stuff far more effective than what we do, or even equivalent. If every superior AT just got equivalently better through discs and promo powers, we're still stuck out in the cold. I know that's pretty hard to imagine actually happening, but it is a possible future.

Edited by Ratking

Some Disciplines runes will grant new Powers, and some of those Powers will be Heals. Some of those heals - perhaps even the one from the example runes they showed - have a good chance of being better then our current heals. While it is true that in some and perhaps most cases, given the same thing to two ATs where one is superior than the other will just further improve their already better situation, it can also be the case that a Power's nature is such that one AT will get more out of it than another. Heals are a good example, which benefit from Support Power (albeit to a small degree currently), and with some ATs having a higher potential Support Power than others.

The other exception to this is in total number of powers of the same type. While druid's 4 possible heals right now may be inferior compared to another support AT's heals, for a non-healer AT who gets these new better heals, a Druid may still be better simply by being able to have more total heals in their tray at once.

I agree that we need help. Perhaps even if they do not buff Druid powers, they may grant us access to improvements through the Disciplines. We can hope.

personally I would like some disciplines that let me summon minions to help me.  It gives me more damage against enemies AND additional things to heal to help the druid manage her resources better.  Furthermore, because the minions are healed they'll last quite a bit longer than on other classes.

type - passive

description - update power of druid passive explosive orb (increase damage, increase area)

example animation of druid discipline - giphy.gif

ofc this power destroy all in area, include party members, fraction members, guild members etc

to prevent from being focused

Edited by makkon

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: rangefall

Discord makkon#8550

I hope that they don't make discipline abilities to replace other powers. That would mean that lots of powers in game would be useless which makes no sense. What I hope is that discipline powers let us configure the druid better for certain situations. For example, you may have two healing speced druids but their abilities are configured totally different to handle different situations. Some situations may require that you use healing rain (castle sieging  scenario where you are trying to keep people at ballistas alive), where as other situations you may want to replace it with something more effective.

Also, I hope that they have some disciplines that increase damage allowing druid to become more of a glass cannon while reducing her overall healing. So mages who want to kill with lightning can!

I'm pretty sure disciplines that add powers just add them to your overall powers...And then you drag and drop your loadout from that (they implemented the tech for that last patch). I doubt they will actually replace AT abilities as they are now. 

That said, I've took the time to copy a list of all their disciplines listed in their vid last July (2016), and have been thinking of some pretty goofy combos. 

My favorite right now for druid is the i-frame stun druid (bruiser and can't remember the other disc name). 

is there any confirmation that a discipline heal will have to go on the healing tray of the druid? the essence juggle is tedious and cyclical. throwing in discipline skills should not affect essence buildup since it's not a skill innate to the archetype.

that said, disciplines will absolutely break the druid out of the current "meh" category it currently is in for me. the nuke animation should be used for an essence dump discipline, maybe depleting stamina with some other negative feedback.

Major discipline: Weather witch

Passive: Weather attune, effect of all weather related ability boosted, IE lighting, healing rain,

active: Gentle breeze, Aoe stamina heal.  

Active: Tornado, all enemy's in a path are lifted up and thrown in a random direction. combos to Razor wind, deal 2x weapon damage has slashing or Storm debris deal 1x weapon damage piercing damage and 1x weapon blunt damage 

when I tried the druid it's  tray swap was broken, but with rangers it was a one or the other tray 1s ability could not be put in tray 2 and tray 2 ability could not be put in tray one.  and you had to wait for the swapping animation to play out before you could use the ability but you could still move and dodge. How ever I think it is likely that with disciplines all Vessels will be able to tray swap eventually. 

In terms of Druid's issues, they need to be fixed looking at the base class and not counting in Disciplines.

But in terms of Disciplines that give heals, I look at them like the Templar in ESO and the Healing Staff skill line. That's the most modern game I can think of with a similar system to Crowfall, where the base classes have a set of skills only they can use, and then the game has a wide array of shared skills that everyone can use. The Templar, at least currently, is the only one with class skills truly devoted to healing to the point where they can main heal with them similar to the Druid. The Healing Staff skills that everyone can use are certainly useful, but not better. For other classes, it allows them to heal, but Templar heals are still the best. So for a Templar healer, they take a couple Healing Staff skills to complement what they already have, or merely to give them more options for different situations. I'd like to see them take the same approach here with the Druid.

• 2 weeks later...

Monk (MINOR): Druid, Forgemaster, Duelist, Ranger, Stalker
   Passive - Dodge +3%
   Meditate - Channeled resource Increase (Reduction)
   Fists of Fury - +250% bare hand combat damage (ignores equiped weapon)
       Combo E: Roundhouse Kick - single target knockdown

Staff Mastery (WEAPON): Any
   Passive - Allows Staff weapon (crushing)
   Low guard - Channeled Parry (Stamina) (similar to Templar power)
        Combo E: Retaliate +200% melee damage blow
        Combo 6: Low Blow Stun (3 sec)
   Dart - 5m range jump/melee thrust attack +150% (very short cd)
   Morris Dance - AoE melee spin attack +250% (6 sec duration, long cd)

Shapeshifter (MAJOR): Druid, Ranger, Assassin, Guinecean  (Removes standard trays, adds LMB melee attack/RMB sprint, only 2-3 powers)
   Bear Form - passive +100 Con/+100 Str  (uses Ghia's wail model)  TANK
        Claw swipe (slash attack)
        Bite - +300% melee attack (crushing)
        Break form - return to Archetype form
   Wolf Form - passive +1% run speed/+5% dodge efficiency   SUPPORT
        Howl - AoE damage debuff
        On the Hunt - Tracking skill
   Badger Form - passive +100 Dex/+100% Con/-1% run speed   SPECIALTY/DPS
        Burrow - same as Guinecean power
        Maul - +200% melee (piercing) attack (Doubled from stealth)

Master of Flora (MINOR): Druid, Stalker, Ranger, Myrmidon
    Passive - group hunger (-2)
    Bramble - AoE 20% slow 30m radius (8 sec/30 sec cd)
    Thorns -10 sec damage shield (stacks w/Bramblecoat, 10 sec cd)
    Barbs -10m ranged cone attack (piercing)

Master of Fauna (MINOR): Druid, Stalker, Ranger, Myrmidon
    Passive - 0.5% group run speed
    Call of the Wild - Group Stam +2 regen
    Call the Murder - AoE Reveal stealthed
    Call the Herd - AoE Melee attack

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

On 3/7/2017 at 9:45 AM, Vectious said:

But how do they let you decide which tray to place abilities on?

And by default does druid/duelist/ranger get twice as many ability space?

I would think you could place any power in either life or death tray or both...   It is really not twice the power spots because you can only use one tray at a time.    The hardest thing for the devs with druid discs will be the resource use...   they say it will utilize the ATs resource but will it properly add essence in the life tray and reduce essence in the death tray by default.   My suggestion for Monk has a channeled resource power that would do the opposite allowing a druid to stay in one tray longer (like an additional 6-6-6)

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't played Crowfall TOO much, but from what I saw of Druid (main profession I played), the speed of summoning of healing orbs was way too slow. By the time you cast 3 of them on the ground, you already took too many hits. The net effect is taking more damage than healing so you can't sustain yourself or others (from what I saw - granted I fought more experienced players with better equipment and lots of skills maximized). Mix in crowd control and things got even more messy.  I think decreasing the cast time of the orbs would make them much quicker and could improve Druid's support ability.

Another big thing that I think can realllyyy be improved is the wisp. The wisp heals decently but casting it immobilizes the druid. Again, in a PvP game, speed and mobility is everything. Standing there trying to heal yourself while allowing the enemy free hits is very counterproductive in my opinion. Being able to walk while casting the wisp could fix this.

12 hours ago, MethaneGas said:

I haven't played Crowfall TOO much, but from what I saw of Druid (main profession I played), the speed of summoning of healing orbs was way too slow. By the time you cast 3 of them on the ground, you already took too many hits. The net effect is taking more damage than healing so you can't sustain yourself or others (from what I saw - granted I fought more experienced players with better equipment and lots of skills maximized). Mix in crowd control and things got even more messy.  I think decreasing the cast time of the orbs would make them much quicker and could improve Druid's support ability.

Another big thing that I think can realllyyy be improved is the wisp. The wisp heals decently but casting it immobilizes the druid. Again, in a PvP game, speed and mobility is everything. Standing there trying to heal yourself while allowing the enemy free hits is very counterproductive in my opinion. Being able to walk while casting the wisp could fix this.

I agree, have not played too much, watched a ton of videos but the orbs seem very slow... maybe increase it by 30-50% somewhere in between. I also have heard alot of complaints about tray swapping....

As for specific disciplines I believe they really are not trying to balance anything out until those all come out. Why would you balanced 4-5 characters when you are going to drop 150 disciplines into the game. Obviously things are going to ridiculously unbalanced (some builds anyway) so I think they are holding off.

I would like to see more variations of healing spells, damage mitigation, shields, healing on contact (similar to Prayer of Mending or Earth Shield)... this way there are various types of supports instead of only a healer. Same could go for Aura based buffs or heals, adding a Bard type discipline would open up things even more in terms of support roles.

• 1 month later...