Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
facerip

Shadowbane 2.0

13 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

I am dancing around you on like 12 different levels and you can't even see the first.

When I sit in the penthouse, I generally don't concern myself with the swirling of the refuse in the sewers below.

Once again, you miss the point. We were referring to scouting, so the intelligence I was referring to your lacking was of the military variety. You, of course, fail to realize this and retort with what you believe to be a clever response showcasing your intellect. Double fail on your part.

CF_Van.png

22 minutes ago, vandarr said:

When I sit in the penthouse, I generally don't concern myself with the swirling of the refuse in the sewers below.

Once again, you miss the point. We were referring to scouting, so the intelligence I was referring to your lacking was of the military variety. You, of course, fail to realize this and retort with what you believe to be a clever response showcasing your intellect. Double fail on your part.

Chess vs checkers little buddy.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I play go.

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

5 hours ago, vandarr said:

I think you're playing ring around the rosie. It's the only explanation I can think of for your belief that the world revolves around you.

I think you don't understand what is going on in this world around you.

Is that really all you can come up with? I'm trying to engage in a battle of wits, but find myself only facing an unarmed man.

The above isn't a great insult - it's old - but it's more clever than "Uh-uh! I'm not dumb, you are!"

CF_Van.png

5 hours ago, vandarr said:

Is that really all you can come up with? I'm trying to engage in a battle of wits, but find myself only facing an unarmed man.

The above isn't a great insult - it's old - but it's more clever than "Uh-uh! I'm not dumb, you are!"

What you are trying to do is pointless because you don't even understand what is going on in the world around you.  Literally playing chess vs your checkers.

47 minutes ago, Gradishar said:

No...not "literally." It's actually "figuratively."

No, it looks like literally playing chess vs your checkers as well.

Here let me teach you about languages a bit. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/misuse-of-literally

It's important to understand the words you use so that misunderstandings occur less frequency.  This is very important in PvP games like shadowbane and crowfall as misunderstandings and miscommunications can end up with the demise of one's guild.  Be careful!

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Shadowbane rewarded high skill players more than any other game in history.

Where in other games being high skilled meant you had a shiny point score, In SB you would own the entire server.

Player skill means nothing without the physical ability to take other people's stuff, not just their inventories but the cities they spend months building.

High skilled PVP players found the game and gravitated towards it for just that reason. Low skilled players like Vikingnail, couldn't hold territory or own anything so they left to play WoW where their shiny trinkets were protected by carebear coding.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

4 minutes ago, PaleOne said:

Where in other games being high skilled meant you had a shiny point score, In SB you would own the entire server.

Player skill means nothing without the physical ability to take other people's stuff, not just their inventories but the cities they spend months building.

High skilled PVP players found the game and gravitated towards it for just that reason. Low skilled players like Vikingnail, couldn't hold territory or own anything so they left to play WoW where their shiny trinkets were protected by carebear coding.

Nope, it didn't and the people trying to make this claim failed to succeed in other games so that should be a very obvious indicator as to their level of understanding of what skill is.

14 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Nope, it didn't and the people trying to make this claim failed to succeed in other games so that should be a very obvious indicator as to their level of understanding of what skill is.

People who succeeded in SB rose to dominate every other hardcore PVP oriented game that ever existed. But you probably didn't play Darkfall either because you like blubie games like wow.

23 minutes ago, PaleOne said:

18 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

LoD was successful in both Shadowbane and Darkfall but I can say without a doubt the skill ceiling was higher in Darkfall. Shadowbane required skill no doubt about it but it was more group coordination, spec group design, etc. than mechanical skill since it was largely a tab target game. Make no mistake - Shadowbane definitely required skill. 

Darkfall on the other hand was/is in my opinion the highest skill ceiling MMORPG ever created. It required FPS aim, difficult to master timing based bunny hopping movement, MMORPG ability rotations, active blocking, full friendly fire, all the while using a stat transfer management system. No MMORPG has even come close. The downside to this was that it wasn't a very accessible game to the masses, coupled with grind and a very poorly managed dev team it was destined for failure. Being good at Darkfall was more satisfying than being good at any other game period. If you can be successful in Darkfall you can be successful in pretty much any PVP game. 

I think Crowfall could take a thing or two from Darkfall but I think a skill ceiling THAT high may not be wise for a game trying to bring in more than just hardcore PVP wolves. I'm glad Crowfall doesn't have Darkfall's stat management system or the bunny hopping. I wish Crowfall had more precise aiming that allowed for full friendly fire. I wish Crowfall had Darkfalls projectiles and physics. Crowfall combat is a bit more accessible which is probably a good thing for the games long term health and its ability to retain some of the harvester/crafter sheep type players but it still has plenty of room for improvement. I think Crowfall is kind of a hybrid between Shadowbane's spec/group coordination and Darkfall's mechanic skill. Probably leans a little bit more towards Shadowbane than Darkfall at this point though. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

6 minutes ago, blazzen said:

LoD was successful in both Shadowbane and Darkfall but I can say without a doubt the skill ceiling was higher in Darkfall. Shadowbane required skill no doubt about it but it was more group coordination, spec group design, etc. than mechanical skill since it was largely a tab target game. Make no mistake - Shadowbane definitely required skill. 

Darkfall on the other hand was/is in my opinion the highest skill ceiling MMORPG ever created. It required FPS aim, difficult to master timing based bunny hopping movement, MMORPG ability rotations, active blocking, full friendly fire, all the while using a stat transfer management system. No MMORPG has even come close. The downside to this was that it wasn't a very accessible game to the masses, coupled with grind and a very poorly managed dev team it was destined for failure. Being good at Darkfall was more satisfying than being good at any other game period. If you can be successful in Darkfall you can be successful in pretty much any PVP game. 

I think Crowfall could take a thing or two from Darkfall but I think a skill ceiling THAT high may not be wise for a game trying to bring in more than just hardcore PVP wolves. I'm glad Crowfall doesn't have Darkfall's stat management system or the bunny hopping. I wish Crowfall had more precise aiming that allowed for full friendly fire. I wish Crowfall had Darkfalls projectiles and physics. Crowfall combat is a bit more accessible which is probably a good thing for the games long term health and its ability to retain some of the harvester/crafter sheep type players but it still has plenty of room for improvement. I think Crowfall is kind of a hybrid between Shadowbane's spec/group coordination and Darkfall's mechanic skill. Probably leans a little bit more towards Shadowbane than Darkfall at this point though. 

Darkfall Reference Before Blazzen, Lotd Beats Lod again ! :)

but its true  Look at the guilds who dominated DF, Most of them played and dominated SB as well.

Edited by PaleOne

I'm talking about people that conquered large ponds.  Not people in small ponds with low skill-ceilings that like reminiscing and pretending those ponds were the pinnacle of competitive pvp in mmorpgs. 

Darkfall had a higher skill-ceiling than shadowbane, but pretty much every mmorpg ever to be made can say that.  Shadowbane had a ridiculously low skill-ceiling. 

This is why when some SB loyalist guild releases a pvp video it always has terrible coordination and execution. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

1 hour ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

No, it looks like literally playing chess vs your checkers as well.

Here let me teach you about languages a bit. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/misuse-of-literally

It's important to understand the words you use so that misunderstandings occur less frequency.  This is very important in PvP games like shadowbane and crowfall as misunderstandings and miscommunications can end up with the demise of one's guild.  Be careful!

Literally has been misused so often that, yes, many now accept that it can mean "virtually." Unfortunately, those who accept it are literally wrong in that interpretation. 

18 minutes ago, Gradishar said:

Literally has been misused so often that, yes, many now accept that it can mean "virtually." Unfortunately, those who accept it are literally wrong in that interpretation. 

No, it would literally be wrong for someone to be unable to understand context and connotation.  Those that try to apply rigid and incorrect rules to language are those that struggle with more advanced linguistic concepts especially regarding semiotics. 

Times change, cultures change, language changes.  Context and connotation are the driving forces behind language.

"

If this sense of literally is bothersome, you needn’t use it. If you dislike hearing other people use it, you may continue to be upset. If you would like to broaden your complaint slightly, and insist that the original meaning of literal is the only proper one, go right ahead (although, before committing to this, you should be aware that this will restrict you to using literal when you mean “of, relating to, or expressed in letters”).

The use of literally in a fashion that is hyperbolic or metaphoric is not new—evidence of this use dates back to 1769. Its inclusion in a dictionary isn't new either; the entry for literally in our 1909 unabridged dictionary states that the word is “often used hyperbolically; as, he literally flew.” We (and all the other “craven dictionary editors”) have included this definition for a very simple reason: a lot of people use it this way, and our entries are based on evidence of use. Furthermore, the fact that so many people are writing angry letters serves as a sort of secondhand evidence, as they would hardly be complaining about this usage if it had not become common.

We understand that many have chosen this particular issue as the one about which they choose to draw a line in the sand, on the grounds that a word should not mean one thing and its opposite (a fairly common thing in English). But a living language is a language that is always changing; this change may be lovely, and it may be ugly. As lexicographers we are in the business of defining language, rather than judging it"

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

I'm talking about people that conquered large ponds.  Not people in small ponds with low skill-ceilings that like reminiscing and pretending those ponds were the pinnacle of competitive pvp in mmorpgs. 

Darkfall had a higher skill-ceiling than shadowbane, but pretty much every mmorpg ever to be made can say that.  Shadowbane had a ridiculously low skill-ceiling. 

This is why when some SB loyalist guild releases a pvp video it always has terrible coordination and execution. 

Irony from the guy repeatedly referencing his WoW PvP glory days.  Your stamina in keeping your troll threads going is impressive.  I don't have the constitution for it. ;)

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

6 minutes ago, Agelmar said:

Irony from the guy repeatedly referencing his WoW PvP glory days.  Your stamina in keeping your troll threads going is impressive.  I don't have the constitution for it. ;)

Is the irony that I dominated shadowbane at its most populated along with a ton of big pond games from many genres?  If people were good at competitive games they might know what they are talking about.  Instead they just have this perception that SB had some high skill-ceiling... lol

If CF ends up with a low skill-ceiling it will simply fail.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Is the irony that I dominated shadowbane at its most populated along with a ton of big pond games from many genres?  If people were good at competitive games they might know what they are talking about.  Instead they just have this perception that SB had some high skill-ceiling... lol

If CF ends up with a low skill-ceiling it will simply fail.

You Dominated Shadowbane ?

Why doesn't anyone remember you?

What cities did you own?