Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vonpenguin

Preventing multiple accounts for single users

It seems that a lot of people are talking about making multiple accounts such as their "crafting" account. Seeing as this goes against the entire point of them linking skills directly to the accounts, and allows for the pvp bane of puppet accounts used to spy, I was wondering how they could stop this form of cheating without outright banning people. Other than merging accounts the only thing I can think of would be to lower crows down to the character level, so each account can have say, three crows, and then simply make it so that while campaigns and guilds are account level you can still have different crows with different trees, perhaps with a caveat that you can not equip or use anything that was harvested, crafted, or looted by one of your other crows so that people still have to rely on each other.

Regardless of whether this idea is terrible or not, it's an issue that should be brought up so they can keep people from circumventing their design by just buying several copies of the game.

@Vonpenguin

In eve it is very common to have two accounts, one for fighting, one for crafting. Many players have more accounts.

I do not see that is preventing eve to be a good game. Of course, as individuals such players have advantages, but this effect is

limited/outbalanced by group-play.

Spying is also an element I am afraid, Vonpenguin, you have to get used to. Treason is a common - and wanted - part of gaming in eve and I doubt it will be much different in Crowfall.

You cant stop people from having multiple accounts. You can stop people from multiboxing multiple accounts, but me logging out of one account and in to another on the same client is almost impossible to stop. You'd have to tie a MAC address to an Account, but even that that be changed.

Its just too much hassle for a developer, so they usually just let people have multiple accounts. 

1 hour ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Best way to nerf multiaccounting is to make VIP good, but even that is only a deterrent because some people will just multiaccount with vip on all accounts.

Deterrent is better than nothing in place

30 minutes ago, yoink said:

I'm pretty sure that this is exactly a main purpose of their design.

The main purpose of their design is so people cheat in their game?

Just now, Vonpenguin said:

Deterrent is better than nothing in place

The main purpose of their design is so people cheat in their game?

Where in the TOS does ACE say having an Alt account is cheating btw? just curious since you seem so adamant that we are cheating.

Nowhere in the TOS, but it is clearly against the spirit of their "make choices matter" objective. Otherwise you wouldn't have everything tied to a single account.

People that do this are basically trying to manipulate it into a pay to win, luckily the effect will probably be negligible but I have an overdeveloped sense of fairness and am prone to wanting to spite dishonorable types.

1 minute ago, Vonpenguin said:

Nowhere in the TOS, but it is clearly against the spirit of their "make choices matter" objective. Otherwise you wouldn't have everything tied to a single account.

People that do this are basically trying to manipulate it into a pay to win, luckily the effect will probably be negligible but I have an overdeveloped sense of fairness and am prone to wanting to spite dishonorable types.

So its not cheating then.

Ok, fine, these not-technically-cheaters-but-clearly-going-against-the-intentions-of-the-designers-and-spirit-of-the-game-to-gain-an-artifical-edgers.

Happy now?

Edited by Vonpenguin

Ok, fine, these not-technically-cheaters-but-clearly-going-against-the-intentions-of-the-designers-and-spirit-of-the-game-to-gain-an-artifical-edgers.

Happy now?

yep, I dislike when people slap the cheater label at anything they don't like.

Going against the intentions of the designers is also a stretch.. People have been playing with multiple accounts since MMO's were invented. People multiboxed Lineage 1 back in 1999. Its like @VIKINGNAIL said, the only way to stop people buying multiple accounts is to give an incentive for them buying VIP instead. Right now there isnt.

Unfortunately, with today's technology it is literally impossible to enforce a 'no multi-account'.

Its a waste of resources and effort. However, what they CAN do is make VIP better or at least as good as multi-account to lower the number of people and bring the game support in terms of VIP.

CfWBSig.png

12 minutes ago, zinnie said:

yep, I dislike when people slap the cheater label at anything they don't like.

Going against the intentions of the designers is also a stretch.. People have been playing with multiple accounts since MMO's were invented. People multiboxed Lineage 1 back in 1999. Its like @VIKINGNAIL said, the only way to stop people buying multiple accounts is to give an incentive for them buying VIP instead. Right now there isnt.

And it's always been shifty. And how is it a stretch just because there have always been people doing it? They have explicitly stated in several video's and interviews that they want choices to be meaningful, player's to not be able to keep themselves going without interacting with other players in a non-combative context, and the very act of making it o that you can't normally make a backup blacksmith character implies they don't want people to do it, not that it stops everyone.

It's not explicitly spelled out in the rules of chess that in addition to it's normal movement the white queen's bishop's pawn can't capture the opposing queen in round one, does that mean it can? No, because that clearly wasn't part of the design. A simple look at the systems in place in something can imply what was not intended to take place. Account stacking isn't a clever, unintentionally awesome combo, it's going out of your way to make a game where purchases aren't meant to be a mechanical edge into one where you can purchase crafter slaves for your main.

And it's not slapping it on "anything I don't like". I guess I just never considered terrible sportsmanship to not be cheating. Different strokes I guess.

11 minutes ago, Vectious said:

Unfortunately, with today's technology it is literally impossible to enforce a 'no multi-account'.

Its a waste of resources and effort. However, what they CAN do is make VIP better or at least as good as multi-account to lower the number of people and bring the game support in terms of VIP.

Fair enough, but how can they make it appealing enough that it is still merely a convenience? The main reason people seem to be account stacking is to game the general skills system so they can master everything instead of forming a social system with the player base at large. Clearly they can't go that route with VIP. 

Edited by Vonpenguin

And it's always been shifty. And how is it a stretch just because there have always been people doing it? They have explicitly stated in several video's and interviews that they want choices to be meaningful, player's to not be able to keep themselves going without interacting with other players in a non-combative context, and the very act of making it o that you can't normally make a backup blacksmith character implies they don't want people to do it, not that it stops everyone.

It's not explicitly spelled out in the rules of chess that in addition to it's normal movement the white queen's bishop's pawn can't capture the opposing queen in round one, does that mean it can? No, because that clearly wasn't part of the design. A simple look at the systems in place in something can imply what was not intended to take place. Account stacking isn't a clever, unintentionally awesome combo, it's going out of your way to make a game where purchases aren't meant to be a mechanical edge into one where you can purchase crafter slaves for your main.

Sure, I agree.

Now find a way for ACE to determine that I am relogging to a different account on my computer, without having insane backdoor scanning going on and tying my account to the client?

Its either spy on your costumers by using software that tracks your computer, which will most often then not be detected and auto deleted by an anti-virus.
Or give an incentive for people to not multibox, either by VIP or some other means.

Stopping people from logging into a different account than your main is almost impossible and more trouble than its worth.

If you make VIP appealing enough you will deter most of the people that might buy another account or two. 

Nothing they do could ever deter the extreme cases of the people that like buying like 10-20 accounts, those people will always be willing to buy many accounts and probably VIP as well if it is worth it.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

4 minutes ago, zinnie said:

Sure, I agree.

Now find a way for ACE to determine that I am relogging to a different account on my computer, without having insane backdoor scanning going on and tying my account to the client?

Its either spy on your costumers by using software that tracks your computer, which will most often then not be detected and auto deleted by an anti-virus.
Or give an incentive for people to not multibox, either by VIP or some other means.

Stopping people from logging into a different account than your main is almost impossible and more trouble than its worth.

Well I did start this entire conversation by talking about ways we can do that, making multiple crows on a single account a thing with restrictions for example. And I mean, a report system tied to IP logging would be imperfect but enough to deter casual abuse.

Again I wanted to start the conversation going. Didn't expect to be defending the validity of not wanting it to be prevalent.

Well I did start this entire conversation by talking about ways we can do that, making multiple crows on a single account a thing with restrictions for example. And I mean, a report system tied to IP logging would be imperfect but enough to deter casual abuse.

Again I wanted to start the conversation going. Didn't expect to be defending the validity of not wanting it to be prevalent.

Cant report something that is not a bannable offense.

And multiple Crows on one account would not stop people from still having more accounts, since you can still only train 1 General skill on one account.

11 hours ago, Vonpenguin said:

The main reason people seem to be account stacking is to game the general skills system so they can master everything instead of forming a social system with the player base at large.

With the way the skill trees are currently the only "social systems" that might fix the problem on non-faction based servers (I am not counting the faction ones because I don't really know anyone who plans to play there) would be regional resources, a global auction house/safe zone for trade, or free transfer between EKs and the campaigns. My personal preference is to just fix the skill trees and/or VIP, but if forced I will always pick multiple accounts over any of these other possible alternatives because they are all much, much worse.