Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Playable placeholders - Official discussion thread

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Jah said:

The hit location system seems like a waste of effort that will add very little to the game.

That might be the case but there might be some good reasons behind it.


Don't play with yourself behind your keyboard. PVP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KohrAh said:

Using WASD keys for anything that movement is a bad idea.  I'm all for being able to rebind keys.  Adding different functionality to your movement keys based on how you use them just adds a lot of complexity and gives a lot of room for user error.  I agree that doing combos with the number keys keeps your fingers off the movement keys for too long, but I'm sure we can come up with a better solution that doesn't make things more complex to use.  For instance current the combo is hit the same number, or hit E.  It could be changed to use the number for the initial power, then use E or R on the combos.

On a side note, with how things are now, I suggest anyone who's interested consider getting a Razer Naga Hex mouse.  That's what I use which gives me the 1-6 keys as buttons right under my thumb.  I actually got the mouse for playing MOBA games, but could never get the hang of it.  For some reason with CrowFall I haven't had the same issues, it works rather well.

I would hope the devs would make it more efficient to play for those of us who don't have the hardware.  By no means am I saying they should replace their binding system, it would be nice if they could implement a key combo binding system as well or maybe some alternative way to execute powers rather than using a mechanic that is meant for tab targeting.  


 

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, amazingtacoburito said:

I would hope the devs would make it more efficient to play for those of us who don't have the hardware.  By no means am I saying they should replace their binding system, it would be nice if they could implement a key combo binding system as well or maybe some alternative way to execute powers rather than using a mechanic that is meant for tab targeting.  

Most action combat games use traditional keybinding methods. I think Black Desert is the only one, and Blade and Soul just replaces the location of combo attacks so that you're using the same few buttons. Once you figure out a system that works for you, and practice a bit, you'll be fine, trust me. Just wait until they let you keybind and play around with it then.

Edited by Leiloni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Leiloni said:

Most action combat games use traditional keybinding methods. I think Black Desert is the only one, and Blade and Soul just replaces the location of combo attacks so that you're using the same few buttons. Once you figure out a system that works for you, and practice a bit, you'll be fine, trust me. Just wait until they let you keybind and play around with it then.

To be honest, I loved the way BDO did combat in terms of binding and key combos.  In my opinion it was really well executed.  Would that sort of thing suit Crowfall?  Don't know, but the current mechanic is clunky and cumbersome.  So lets not be like most other games and find a way to smooth out the end user experience when it comes to combat.  This is coming from my own experience.  No idea if anyone else feels the same way, if no one does, that's fine.  Not saying I can't deal with it, just throwing an opinion out to see if there is an improvement that can/should be made.  I'm already pretty good with the current mechanic, I just don't like taking my fingers off the movement keys and I'm not about to drop money on a mouse to combat that problem.  Just looking for secondary ways for us to bind so the primary (which is what is in place) can be retained for those who like it.

Edited by amazingtacoburito

 

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 11:00 AM, mctan said:

"You will have way more powers in your book than you can actually put on your tray and you're gonna have to make some hard choices" -TB

Yay!

This is the best.


"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, amazingtacoburito said:

To be honest, I loved the way BDO did combat in terms of binding and key combos.  In my opinion it was really well executed.  Would that sort of thing suit Crowfall?  Don't know, but the current mechanic is clunky and cumbersome.  So lets not be like most other games and find a way to smooth out the end user experience when it comes to combat.  This is coming from my own experience.  No idea if anyone else feels the same way, if no one does, that's fine.  Not saying I can't deal with it, just throwing an opinion out to see if there is an improvement that can/should be made.  I'm already pretty good with the current mechanic, I just don't like taking my fingers off the movement keys and I'm not about to drop money on a mouse to combat that problem.  Just looking for secondary ways for us to bind so the primary (which is what is in place) can be retained for those who like it.

Honestly I don't think it would really suit Crowfall simply because BDO's skills are designed to make sense with the keybinds associated with them. So a skill that does damage and lunges you forward might be Shift+W, but a skill that has you standing in place and casting a damage spell might be S+F. Those developers designed the combat and class system for Continent of the Ninth Seal to work in the same way. If you look at it all, you'll notice how intuitive the combos feel because of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Leiloni said:

Honestly I don't think it would really suit Crowfall simply because BDO's skills are designed to make sense with the keybinds associated with them. So a skill that does damage and lunges you forward might be Shift+W, but a skill that has you standing in place and casting a damage spell might be S+F. Those developers designed the combat and class system for Continent of the Ninth Seal to work in the same way. If you look at it all, you'll notice how intuitive the combos feel because of this.

Maybe not, who knows.  It could work fine, it could play like poorly made socks.  But the current binding mechanic isn't the best imo.  Would be nice if there was a secondary mechanic at our disposal.


 

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the first question: Why is basic armor at 25 physical mitigation while crafted plate starts at 10?

The answer made me confused.

The issue: There currently is a significant difference between basic armor and crafted plate, latter being much worse.

The resource cost for a basic armor tile is 3 or 3 * 3 normal stuff you find around any temple within seconds (can't remember the exact numbers but they are so cheap it doesn't matter) [Edit: it's 3 x 3]. The cost for plate boots is 25 iron, 15 hides, 5 copper, the metals only to be found in PvP zones.

Can't quite remember, but the stats of the basic boots were like 625 armor class  durability versus 500 on the plate boots, some 25 mitigation boni (basic) versus 10 (plate).

Now to the answer of Blair and Halash:

  1. The hit box location system doesn't matter at all in this question. We just compare chestplate with chestplate, boots with boots.
  2. There is a logical flaw in saying that the point of the location system is to force people to wear armor in every slot. The same is true for cumulative stats, there is no difference.
  3. They wanted everybody to use basic armor, because "we are still in testing", so they "overboosted those to get people in it". But now noone will using (= testing) crafted armor and only few will test crafting it. And then why are the crafted weapons better than basic ones?
  4. Why is handcrafted worse than thrall / factory ones? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
  5. Even a "way better" boost than "20%" would not make the risk and effort worth the bonus, so this part of the answer didn't clear up the problem.
  6. I had a look at the skill tree and actually found a better answer, that Blair and Halash seem to have forgotten: There are many skills that give up to 100 armor class bonus, if a plate chestpiece is worn, and some grant even armor boni to every single piece of armor.

Bottom line: The simple answer would have been, it's intended testing imbalance, even if it doesn't make much sense.

But they came across patronizing and subtextually suggesting, that the players don't understand the system and how testing works. In reality their answer showed the opposite.

Edited by Doradur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Any news on the eventual plans for account names and how it relates to the old KS perk of unique character name reservations?

read the most recent news. Account names are changing

 

 


Don't play with yourself behind your keyboard. PVP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CPU13rother said:

read the most recent news. Account names are changing

 

 

The login is changing to email, but that doesn't do anything for crow/account names and it doesn't add any clarity to how they will integrate name reservations.


Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

The login is changing to email, but that doesn't do anything for crow/account names and it doesn't add any clarity to how they will integrate name reservations.

you are correct that that was not specificly stated but login names being separated from account names sounds like you will be able to change the visible name or migrate name reservations.


Don't play with yourself behind your keyboard. PVP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CPU13rother said:

That might be the case but there might be some good reasons behind it.

The good reasons are not good enough for the effort.

Think about it, every single thing in this game is additive. You add all the attack power on each armor piece, every stat adds up. Then you get to resists on armor and you go a entirely different direction and try to make it super complicated for a 'good reason'. Better be a great, or amazing reason. 

Its like trying to invent a automatic orange peeler that takes 10 minutes to use when people can peel a orange in 20~ seconds. It just begs the question "okay cool....but why?". 

But to go even further, its not enough that it just peels oranges, just that by itself it not good enough, you have to invest more time and money so it can now peel a banana in 5 minutes.

Then people start complaining that it doesn't make any sense to spend money and buy this fruit peeler when everyone else is just manually peeling a piece of fruit much quicker.

So it hits you "Ah ha!" you spend more money to make it easy to clean, so you make it so it can be easily taken apart. So now i have to put together my orange/banana peeler before i can peel some fruit. 

People still complain that it doesnt make any sense and its alot of effort for no gain.

Now you are on to something. What if you make it so you can peel APPLES IN 60 MINUTES.

But....but...you don't peel apples...

I JUST WANT TO PEEL MY OWN FRUIT, BLAIR.

Obviously......i got lost in my metaphor somewhere.

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vectious said:

The good reasons are not good enough for the effort.

Think about it, every single thing in this game is additive. You add all the attack power on each armor piece, every stat adds up. Then you get to resists on armor and you go a entirely different direction and try to make it super complicated for a 'good reason'. Better be a great, or amazing reason. 

Its like trying to invent a automatic orange peeler that takes 10 minutes to use when people can peel a orange in 20~ seconds. It just begs the question "okay cool....but why?". 

But to go even further, its not enough that it just peels oranges, just that by itself it not good enough, you have to invest more time and money so it can now peel a banana in 5 minutes.

Then people start complaining that it doesn't make any sense to spend money and buy this fruit peeler when everyone else is just manually peeling a piece of fruit much quicker.

So it hits you "Ah ha!" you spend more money to make it easy to clean, so you make it so it can be easily taken apart. So now i have to put together my orange/banana peeler before i can peel some fruit. 

People still complain that it doesnt make any sense and its alot of effort for no gain.

Now you are on to something. What if you make it so you can peel APPLES IN 60 MINUTES.

But....but...you don't peel apples...

I JUST WANT TO PEEL MY OWN FRUIT, BLAIR.

Obviously......i got lost in my metaphor somewhere.

You know it's allot easier to describe it this way.

They made a great hammer, and now they are trying to pound in a few screws with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I feel that the current armor system isn't really that great. Still, if they want to waste a bunch of time building a complex system that won't really have a gameplay effect (you won't really know who you're going to be fighting when you buy/craft a piece of equipment, so there's no point in buying, say, boots with specific protections, rather than equipment with better overall stats), I guess it's really not going to directly make the game worse, as compared to other systems (I try to make my dislike of the current skill system is a defining trait of my posts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...