Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slashin8r

Mini-Campaigns

We can have and likely will have many types of campaigns, including very short, small-scale campaign servers, the opposite, and everything in-between.  Before launch is exactly when we want to experiment with ALL types of campaign servers, however absurd they may sound to some.  By testing all these rulesets will we be able to figure out what works, and what doesn't.  What works can be moved forward after launch, and evolve or not from there.  We absolutely can cater to ALL players.  Those who want a MOBA, a survival sandbox, a long-term campaign that is goal oriented, A permanent, persistant Throne Waaagh! (live Eve-Online)....we can do it.  We can do all of it, and we should.

The suggestion should be offered, and you did.  ACE reads the forums.

If I came across too strong and that offended you then be assured I do believe in "brainstorming".  Note however it is likely you'll get stronger responses to something that touches on a core/key game play dynamic, regardless of venue, as opposed to something that's more in-line and supports core concept.  People sign up for anything because (X) has a portrayed shape, size, fit, to it.

I always saw full-out, dynamically created, open Worlds with longer Campaign times as a central attractor.  Not peripheral.  I see Crowfall as a major Open World PvP platform, not farmvilled, quickly recycled battlegrounds or Arenas.

Also note I suggested "baseline first", followed by incremental adjustments, and that altering CW time to completion is something ACE will likely play with at some point after launch.

Fast, recyclable CWs don't match the core vision of CF in my interpretation, and in certain respects counter to it.

That's all.

Bring the ideas, you're right in that regard.

ACE is the real audience here.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

With VIP giving subscribing players priority in the log-in cue, this idea raises the value of VIP.

Unfortunately, players would multibox the cue, leaving an avatar in a stronghold or other "safe" place, while maneuvering a second  avatar to safety, so they have a back-up fighter, crafter, scout or harvester ready to go. Players with access to plenty of great equipment and great ping will have enough advantages without tiny crow counts in the campaigns.

I just hope a small crow population doesn't become necessary in order for ACE to get decent server performance.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

On 3/9/2017 at 0:24 PM, Slashin8r said:

Make a campaign with a small world and a small population limit. Each time a player dies they are booted from server and must rejoin, which there will likely be a queue with such small population limits.

You can do this as

FFA: Max 50-100 players total

Factions: Max 50-100 per faction

Gods: Max 25-50 per god

I wouldn't recommend doing this as GvG since larger guilds would eat up the population limit and dominate, plus there is no set number of guilds, but there are static numbers for factions and gods. The population limits would need tweaking based on player population at release. These will be very quick campaigns, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

I like this idea for down the road.  Commemorate the yearly anniversary of the game with a 2 week world cup.  A few worlds with a world-cup campaign ruleset, and it's limited to the highest ranked guilds, 100 vessels each, battling for the next 2 weeks.  The chosen guilds are those that have dominated previous campaign worlds.   Make the ruleset so it lends itself to spectators, like a golden seed spawning at exactly 100 hours after the campaign launches.  I'd put it on my calendar to watch that on twitch.  

4 minutes ago, Interbane said:

I like this idea for down the road.  Commemorate the yearly anniversary of the game with a 2 week world cup.  A few worlds with a world-cup campaign ruleset, and it's limited to the highest ranked guilds, 100 vessels each, battling for the next 2 weeks.  The chosen guilds are those that have dominated previous campaign worlds.   Make the ruleset so it lends itself to spectators, like a golden seed spawning at exactly 100 hours after the campaign launches.  I'd put it on my calendar to watch that on twitch.  

This is already in the plans pretty much. During the KS campaign there was a stretch goal talking about tournaments based on winning CWs.