Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stubs01

Magic: Mix It Up

Though personally I tend to follow the non-magic route here are a few things which would be cool to see (or not see) in magic.

No Loading Bar

When launching a fireball there is no loading bar. The guy would have the option to release when he sees fit. Too early and it will fizzle out, to late and it will blow up in your face. The longer he keeps it the stronger it becomes. So he can choose to spam weaker attacks or wait for the last second to launch one powerful one. How long/powerful he can make them would vary on his skill.

"Dual-wield"

A more powerful mage/wizard whatever would be able to cast separate spells in each hand (though would still need both hands for the more powerful ones, possibly even some kind of magical augmentation item). So say he could launch fireballs from both hands.

Experimentation

Would be cool if the player and test magic combinations. For example if I merge a fireball from my left hand with a spinning ball of wind in my right, will I get a faster fireball, will they cancel each other out or maybe cast instant self-incineration??

Assisted Spells

Very powerful spells which would need reagents and/or other mages to cast in unison to do. For example a spell which would summon a heavy fog around an enemy city before an enemy attack. Again, interrupting said spell would cause a whiplash like lightning strikes in the middle of the circle of casters.

They'd have to make Melee characters very fun and interesting just to compete for our love if they flesh out the magic system that much. Dwarves dont need any of your reagents anyways, we use runes! (dont have a lot of access to many surface reagents anyways)

Experimentation

Would be cool if the player and test magic combinations. For example if I merge a fireball from my left hand with a spinning ball of wind in my right, will I get a faster fireball, will they cancel each other out or maybe cast instant self-incineration??

Assisted Spells

Very powerful spells which would need reagents and/or other mages to cast in unison to do. For example a spell which would summon a heavy fog around an enemy city before an enemy attack. Again, interrupting said spell would cause a whiplash like lightning strikes in the middle of the circle of casters.

Exerimentation - I would like spells to be able to cancel each other out. So if i'm in a witch fight, we can "parry" too but its like a magic parry. lol

Assisted Spell - I have been advocating this here for a while. I would love  to see something like this in crowfall!  :wub:

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

There are a lot of things they could do with magic, I'd love to see some visceral gameplay with spells, weather, environment and cooperation.

The idea of making one spell more flexible by how it is operated and activated is a great tool for every Archetype and ability. leap and cast to slam the ground with PBAoE (friendly fire), hold to charge for a stronger or AoE attack, rapid tap for a continuous bolt or multiple projectiles.

Combining effects could work interestingly with cooperation from allies or interference from foes. With friendly fire, damage especially from spells and projectiles would be universal. You could set an area ablaze than fan the flame with a gust, pushing it toward you foes, or reversing your foes firestorm, one mage could cause rain over the battlefield by channelling, while others use it to cast their lightning strikes remotely from great distance rather than directly from their hands.

You could create a wind vortex right amongst your foes which only disturbs their movement than set it on fire for an explosion that does fire and impact damage.

There's a lot of imaginative things games can do with magic, I think the biggest concern will be how practical it will be in their combat simulation. Magic has the ability to rewrite the laws of the battlefield, this can make it more interesting, or less interesting...

Edited by BahamutKaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

They'd have to make Melee characters very fun and interesting just to compete for our love if they flesh out the magic system that much. Dwarves dont need any of your reagents anyways, we use runes! (dont have a lot of access to many surface reagents anyways)

Similar stuff can be done for melee. Sidesteps,ducking, some sort of combo customisations maybe ... who knows

But the idea is that magic is powerful but volatile. It adds to entertainment value and skill in using it

Edit: Stealing from Kaiser's idea. Would also be cool for the button holding in melee. Holding and charging would ramp up an attack

Edited by stubs01

There are a lot of things they could do with magic, I'd love to see some visceral gameplay with spells, weather, environment and cooperation.

The idea of making one spell more flexible by how it is operated and activated is a great tool for every Archetype and ability. leap and cast to slam the ground with PBAoE (friendly fire), hold to charge for a stronger or AoE attack, rapid tap for a continuous bolt or multiple projectiles.

Combining effects could work interestingly with cooperation from allies or interference from foes. With friendly fire, damage especially from spells and projectiles would be universal. You could set an area ablaze than fan the flame with a gust, pushing it toward you foes, or reversing your foes firestorm, one mage could cause rain over the battlefield by channelling, while others use it to cast their lightning strikes remotely from great distance rather than directly from their hands.

You could create a wind vortex right amongst your foes which only disturbs their movement than set it on fire for an explosion that does fire and impact damage.

There's a lot of imaginative things games can do with magic, I think the biggest concern will be how practical it will be in their combat simulation. Magic has the ability to rewrite the laws of the battlefield, this can make it more interesting, or less interesting...

^ O god yes! I want all of this! :wub:

Edited by vVe

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I think it'd be a neat idea to let casters create/craft their own spell book :D. Instead of tossing out a bunch of pre-made skill sets, give the players a certain amount of skill points and let them figure out what type of spells they could cast. The basic layout for the fire tornado would look like this

type (aoe, bounce, single target, cone) aoe
element (select up to 3 elements) fire, fire, wind
bonus stat (life steal, bonus crit, armor shred)

etc,

That way everyone can play the type of class that they want :D

HECIfKy.jpg

Sugoi - Student Council President

Another important note regarding magic:

Magic does not inherently mean "ranged." It saddens me to hardly ever see an actual "melee mage," who delivers mostly touch/short-range applications of magical energy. Just because I can weave fire and throw it far doesn't mean everything I do should be designed with the idea "If you are a caster, you obviously stay out of harm's way and nuke things from a distance." I'd love to see magical parries/blocks, and other forms of magical melee combat.

The spellcrafting thing is a great idea, too. But, at times, it can be difficult to make a system like that that functions properly. You have to limit the "total" amount of effectiveness in a given spell, or you'd end up with some ridiculous spells. Maybe you have several factors -- the longer the range/area-of-effect, the smaller the maximum damage becomes. The more different types of damage you have it deal, the less damage it can deal, etc. The more effects you choose, the weaker each effect.

Honestly, though, I'd like to see an extensive "craft-your-own-skill" system for non-magical combat, too, if that were the case.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

While all of these suggestions are really, really cool I'd be careful with expecting too much. Doing things like joined rituals (assisted magic) and combining spell effects can take it's tolls on processing power - both server and clientside. And they go against the idea of action combat.

A nice middle ground is sth like GW2 did with it's combo fields, where one caster could create an initial effect and other casters can then enhance/alter this effect with their own added effects. The classic is a wall of fire which turns a boulder hurled through it into a flaming meteor or a wall of ice that attacked with fire turns into a steam field.

By this, mages could also start interacting with other classes, like said wall of fire also enhancing arrows passing through them or a earthen wall that - once a champion slams into it - would explode and grant an area-knockback instead of a single knockback.

These interactions allow for action combat (they are applied on a twitch) while also encouraging team interactions without the issue of keeping players in sync to ensure that things like "breaking the ritual circle" aren't too depending on ping.

I wonder where ppl get these notions of obstacles, it's like there's some sort of bad education out there spreading unfounded assumption about mechanical difficulty...

I mean really... How... Never mind >.>

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I always play magic characters and have always wanted to combine spells and cast them with others. And I have never seen those features done well in MMOs, but if Crowfall could get them, it would be awesome. Also diseases sound good idea, but I'd say that they shouldn't be most important feature to have.

Though personally I tend to follow the non-magic route here are a few things which would be cool to see (or not see) in magic.

No Loading Bar

When launching a fireball there is no loading bar. The guy would have the option to release when he sees fit. Too early and it will fizzle out, to late and it will blow up in your face. The longer he keeps it the stronger it becomes. So he can choose to spam weaker attacks or wait for the last second to launch one powerful one. How long/powerful he can make them would vary on his skill.

If you hold it in for a really long time then more will come out ('magic' build up)?

I wonder where ppl get these notions of obstacles, it's like there's some sort of bad education out there spreading unfounded assumption about mechanical difficulty...

I mean really... How... Never mind >.>

People take on computer oriented class and they are suddenly experts on optimization.  While the suggested magic mechanics wouldn't be taxing on the hardware, it might be a challenge to implement well in code.  The more your classes have to interact with other classes the more problems start to arise.  Keep it simple stupid certainly applies.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

How about the biggest problem of all MMOs they refuse to do...spell cancelation.

We have confessor and frostweaver, fire and ice.

If a confessor fires off a firewall, a frostweaver should be able to walk over and snuff it out. The icewall the frostweaver uses? Yup, should be able to be instantly snuffed out by the confessor. They should cancel each other's persistent spells out. Fires on the ground, dots, ANY persistant spell should be cancellable by the opposite magic.

This would bring tactics into a whole knew realm regarding magic.

Can even create combo spell usage here. If the fire mage can light the ground on fire and an earth spell from the druid be used on it, you end up with a long timed persistant lava pool that damages friend and foe. Ice+earth? Could create stalagmites that stick up and are iced to make it slippery and impossible to walk on.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

Maybe magic is like disciplines 

These were the spellls in M&M7;

Fire Spells Normal Level Spells

• Torch Light produces a sphere of light around your party. It only works indoors. Use it for those dark caverns where something might be waiting!
  • Fire Resistance increases all your characters' resistance to fire
  • Fire Bolt launches a burst of fire at a single target. Costing 4 points, it takes a while to rebuild strength and use it again.
  • Fire Aura Causes a weapon with no special abilities to burn with magic fire.

Expert Level Spells

• Haste reduces recovery time for party actions. Beware, for characters will be weak for six hours after this spell wears off. it costs 5 points to cast, and requires recovery.
  • Fireball targets a single monster, but explodes to hurt anyone else caught in the blast. What a show! But keep your party at a distance; if they stand too close, they will be hurt as well. This one costs 8 spell points, and takes some time to recover.
  • Fire Spike creates a dropped fire spike on the ground that detonates when a monster passes nearby. A Maximum of five of these can be active at any time until the party leaves the map area. It causes 6 points of damage plus 1 additional damage point for every skill rank. Masters can drop seven spikes and increase the damage they do while Grand Masters can use nine of these with even more damaging effects.

Master Level Spells

• Meteor Shower summons 8 flaming rocks from the sky in a 10-foot radius surrounding your target. Unless you're eager to visit a healer yourself, try not to be near the victim when using this spell. Cost is 20, with a period necessary to recoup energy. It happens instantly, and each rock delivers 8 points of damage plus 1 additional for every skill rank. Masters are ready again more quickly with 16 rocks. Grand Masters bring 20 rocks to the party. This spell cannot be used indoors. Obviously.
  • Immolation surrounds the party in fire that only hurts anyone else that comes too close with damage equal to the caster's skill level. Experts' recovery time is cut somewhat, while Masters take just a quick breather between spells.

Grand Master Level Spell

• Incinerate is one of the strongest direct damage spells you may acquire, inflicting massive damage on a single target. Only the strongest of monsters can expect to survive this spell. (But if one does, then it's you who has to survive!) Spell point cost is 30, recovery is necessary. It happens instantly, searing 15 points of damage, plus 1 - 15 points extra for each rank of the caster's skill.

Air Spells Normal Level Spells

• Wizard Eye reveals the locations of monsters and characters on your group's automap. It lasts for 1 hour and it costs one spell point to cast. Experts and Masters will learn more on casting this spell than an Apprentice. Grand Masters pay nothing in spell points to cast this.
  • Sparks fires three small balls of lightning that bounce around until they hit something or dissipate. Experts recover more quickly, and fire 5 balls. Masters are ready to go again even faster, with 7 shots. Grand Masters bring nine sparks to the fight.
  • Feather Fall slows the speed of a fall and prevents your party from being hurt when falling more than ten feet. The cost for this spell is 5 points, and recovery takes time. It lasts for 5 minutes for every Air magic skill rank. Experts get the duration up to 10 minutes per skill rank, while Masters rate 1 hour per skill rank. Grand Masters recover the fastest.
  • Air Resistance increases all character's resistance to air magic per skill point (also affecting duration).

Expert Level Spells

• Shield slows missile attacks (such as rocks and arrows) and cuts their potential damage by half. A Shield costs 8 spell points, and be careful where you use it, as it takes time to recover. It lasts 5 minutes for every skill rank. Experts' Shields last 15 minutes per skill rank, while a Master's version affects the entire party.
  • Lightning Bolt discharges electricity from the caster's hand to a single target. It always hits and does solid damage. It costs 10 spell points. It fires instantly, doing 1 - 8 points of damage for each skill rank. Experts recover more quickly, Masters faster still.
  • Jump launches your party into the air at a forty-five degree angle, landing them without damage a set distance away. It costs the caster only 15 spell points and higher skill will reduce recovery time. Experts and Masters recover more quickly.

Master Level Spells

• Implosion is a nasty spell that affects a single target by destroying the air around it. The result is a sudden inrush from the surrounding air, a thunderclap, and 10 points of damage plus an extra 1 - 10 points of damage for every skill rank. It costs 20 points to cast, and rest is required afterwards. Experts are back to readiness more quickly, Masters faster still. Grand Masters sigh before doing it again.
  • Fly grants the power of flight to your characters, 5 minutes airborne for every skill rank! Only available outdoors, Fly initially costs 25 spell points and slowly drains spell points as it remains active. Be careful not to fall from a great height! Experts can stay up for 10 minutes per skill rank, while Masters wing it for an entire hour per skill rank. Grand Masters do it for free.
  • Invisibility makes the party invisible.

Grand Master Level Spell

• Starburst calls 8 stars from the heavens to smite and burn your enemies in a 20-foot radius. Try not to get caught in the blast! Cost is 30 spell points, recovery is very significant, each stars' damage is 20 points plus an extra 1 point of damage for every skill rank. Experts reduce their recovery somewhat and get 12 stars; Masters turn back their recovery even more, and deliver 16 stars. It only works outdoors.

Water Spells Normal Level Spells

• Awaken automatically awakens all of your characters from a normal sleep and dramatically reduces the duration of sleep spells cast on your characters.
  • Protection from Cold increases all your characters' resistance to Cold: 1 point of resistance for every rank the caster has in Water magic. Cost is 3 points, recovery is required. The Protection lasts for 1 hour per skill rank. Experts double the resistance, while Masters triple it.
  • Poison Spray sprays 1 shot of poison at monsters directly in front of your characters. Damage is low, but few monsters have resistance to poison, so it's an easy way to make 'em suffer. Cost in spell points is 4, recovery is required. The effect is 2 points of damage, plus an extra 1 - 2 points of damage for every skill rank. Experts recover more quickly and fire 3 shots. Masters are back at it faster with 5 shots.
  • Ice Bolt fires a single bolt of ice at a single target. Always a hit, it does moderate cold damage: 1 - 7 points of damage per skill rank. Cost is 8. Experts and Masters recover more quickly.

Expert Level Spells

• Water Walk lets your characters walk along the surface of water without sinking, for 5 minutes for every skill rank. Only useful outdoors, this spell costs 5 spell points initially, but you should never forget that this magic constantly drains spell points while active. Experts stay topside for 10 minutes for every skill rank, Masters are afloat for 1 hour per skill ranking. The spell drain is the same no matter what level the caster is.
  • Recharge Item will attempt to make recharge a magic item. The limit of charges in an item recharged this way will drop a certain percentage depending on mastery and the number of charges restored is based on the same.
  • Acid Burst targets a single monster with an acidic bolt that does 9 points of damage plus 1 - 9 points per kill rank in Water magic.

Master Level Spells

• Town Portal transports the party to the last town they visited. At Apprentice level it only works outdoors. As a further caution, the chance of Town Portal working is rather small, improved by your rank of Water magic skill. Cost is 25 and recovery is slow. Experts can use this spell indoors, and Masters can choose the town.
  • Ice Blast fires a ball of ice in the direction the caster is facing. The ball will shatter when it hits something, launching 7 shards of ice in all directions except the caster's. Shards will ricochet until they strike a creature doing 12 points of damage plus 1 - 2 points per rank of Water magic skill, or melt. Beware that the ricochet can hit your party, even when the shards don't start out in their direction. It costs 25 points, and requires recovery time, which is less for Experts, Masters, and Grand Masters.
  • Enchant Item enchants a normal item with magical powers. Chance of success it 10% per point of the caster's Water Magic skill.

Grand Master Level Spell

• Lloyd's Beacon lets you place one marker at a location you want to teleport back to in the future. Just how far in the future depends on your skill and ranking in Water magic; the marker decays in 1 week times a character's skill rank.

Earth Spells Normal Level Spells

• Stun slaps a monster with magical force, forcing it to recover from the spell before it can do anything else. It also knocks monsters back a little, giving you a chance to get away while the getting is good.
  • Slow halves the movement speed and doubles recovery time for a single target creature. Duration is 3 minutes per point of the caster's Earth Skill.
  • Earth Resistance increases all your characters' resistance to earthy magic: 1 point of resistance for every rank of the caster's Earth magic skill. Cost is 3 points, recovery is required.
  • Deadly Swarm summons a swarm of biting, stinging insects to bedevil a single target. Moderate in its damage, the swarm nonetheless never misses and the damage is physical, making resistance unlikely.

Expert Level Skills

• Stone Skin increases the armor class of a character by 5 for 4 minutes, plus an extra five minutes for every skill rank. Cost to cast is 5.
  • Blades fires a rotating, razor-thin metal blade at a single monster. This spell can miss: the chance it'll even hit relies heavily on the caster's rank of Earth magic skill. Cost is 8 spell points and requires recovery. Damage is 1 - 5 points for every skill rank.
  • Stone to Flesh, if cast in time, removes tthe curse of being turned to stone from a character. The caster's skill and rank in Earth magic determine how long the dire condition can be present before the spell loses effectiveness. After that, the only way to remove the condition short of Divine Intervention is to visit a temple.

Master Level Spells

• Rock Blast releases a magical stone into the world, a stone that will explode either when it comes into contact with a creature or when enough time passes, causing damage in a radius of 20 feet. The rock will bounce and roll until it finds a resting spot. Be careful; anyone can be caught in the blast.
  • Telekinesis allows the caster to manipulate objects at a distance.
  • Death Blossom fires a magical stone far into the air, causing a very powerful explosion with a radius of 40 feet when it lands. This spell can only be used outdoors, costs 25 points, and requires time to recover. Damage is 20 points, with an extra 1 point for every skill rank.

Grand Master Level Spell

• Mass Distortion increases the weight of a single target enormously for an instant, causing significant internal damage equal to 25% of the monster's hit points plus another 2% per rank of Earth magic skill. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Spell point cost is 30, and is very tiring.

Spirit Spells Normal Level Spells

• Detect Life you to see the health points of opponents.
  • Bless characters to increase their chance of hitting monsters in hand-to-hand combat and with missile weapons.
  • Turn Undead forces all undead monsters in sight of the spellcaster to flee. They'll be back when the spell runs out: 3 minutes, plus an extra 3 minutes for every skill rank. Cost for this scattering is 15. Experts and Masters will recover faster.
  • Fate improves a character's chance to hit.

Expert Level Spells

• Remove Curse, if cast in time, removes a curse from a character. The caster's skill and rank in Spirit magic determine how long the dread condition can be present before the point of no return. After that, the only way to remove the condition short of Divine Intervention is to visit a temple.
  • Heroism increases by 5 the damage that a character does with a successful attack. This costs 10 spell points, and the caster must rest; it lasts for 4 minutes, with an extra 5 minutes for every skill rank. Experts get an extra 15 minutes for every skill rank, Masters affect all the characters in your party.
  • Preservation protects a character's soul by binding it tightly to their body in the hope of providing complete protection against instant death and eradication abilities.

Master Level Spells

• Raise Dead, if cast in time, restores a character to life. the caster's skill and rank in Spirit magic determine how long the character can be worm food before the point of no return. After that, the only way to revive the corpse short of Divine Intervention is to visit a temple. Raised characters will be weak unless treated or sufficiently rested.
  • Shared Life combines the life force of your characters and redistributes it between them as evenly as possible. All current hit points are totaled, and 1 extra hit point is added for every skill rank.
  • Spirit Lash damages a creature by attempting to sever its link between body and soul.

Grand Master Level Spell

• Resurrection, if cast in time, removes the eradicated condition from a character. The caster's skill and rank in Spirit magic determine how long the character can be dead before the point of no return.

Mind Spells Normal Level Spells

• Remove Fear removes the fearful condition from a character if this spell is cast in time. The caster's skill and rank in Mind magic determine how long the character can be paralyzed by fear before the point of no return.
  • Mind Blast fires a bolt of mental force guaranteed to hit any target and damage that monster's nervous system. Expect 5 points of damage, with an extra 1 - 2 points for every skill rank. Cost is 3 spell points, recovery time is moderate. Experts and Masters are progressively faster to recover.
  • Mind Resistance improves a character's resistance to mind altering spells.
  • Telepathy reads a target's mind to find out just what they have in their pockets.

Expert Level Spells

• Berserk causes the targeted creature to completely nuts and attack the nearest target, whether they are friend or foe.
  • Cure Paralysis, if cast in time, removes paralysis from a character. The casters skill and rank in Mind magic determine how long a character can be immobile before the point of no return.
  • Charm calms a single targeted creature and removes any hostile feelings it has towards your characters, an effect that lasts 3 minutes for every skill rank.

Master Level Spells

• Mass Fear causes all creatures in the spellcaster's line of sight to flee in fear, a cowardly condition lasting 3 minutes for every skill rank.
  • Cure Insanity removes the taint of insanity from a character if this spell is cast in time. The caster's skill and rank in Mind magic determine how long a character can be whacko before the point of no return.
  • Psychic Shock targets a single creature with mind-damaging magic: 12 points of damage, plus an extra 1 - 12 points for every skill rank. Recovery time depends on your level of expertise; Experts and Masters have the advantage.

Grand Master Spell

• Enslave attempts to take control of the target creature for ten minutes per the caster's Mind Magic skill. Very useful in crowded situations.

Body Spells Normal Level Spells

• Cure Weakness, if cast in time, removes weakness from a character. The caster's skill and rank in Body magic determine how long a character can be debilitated before the point of no return.
  • Heal restores lost hit points to a single target.
  • Body Resistance increases all of a character's resistance to Body Magic per a degree of time determined by the caster's skill level.
  • Harm slams a single creature with completely reliable magical damage.

Expert Level Spells

• Cure Poison, if cast in time, removes the toxic condition from a character. The skill and rank in Body magic determine how long a character can be poisoned before the point of no return.
  • Regeneration helps a character heal over time while the spell is active.
  • Hammerhands enhances the skill of an unarmed combatant.

Master Level Spells

• Cure Disease, if cast in time, removes the diseased condition from a character. The caster's skill and rank in Body magic determine how long a character can be infected before the point of no return.
  • Protection from Magic grants some immunity to attack effects that cause debilitating conditions such as poison, stoning, or paralysis.
  • Flying Fist cannot miss and it pummels an opponent with 30 points of damage, plus an extra 1 - 5 of damage for every skill rank.

Grand Master Level Spell

• Power Cure restores hit points to all characters in your party at once.

Light Spells Normal Level Spells

• Dispel Magic removes all helpful spells on all monsters in sight.
  • Destroy Undead only works on those blasphemies, calling upon the power of the Gods to undo the evil magic that extends their unnatural lives.
  • Light Bolt fires a bolt of light at a target. Wicked good.

Expert Level Spells

• Day of the Gods boosts all of a character's attributes by 10 along with a bonus of 3x the caster's Light Magic Skill.
  • Summon Elemental brings forth an elemental of light to fight for the party.

Master Level Spells

• Prismatic Light can only be cast indoors, and inflicts damage on all creatures in sight: 25 points of damage with an extra 1 point for every skill rank.
  • Hour of Power simultaneously casts Haste, Heroism, Shield, Stoneskin, and Bless on all your characters, adding twice the spellcaster's Light magic skill to their statistics.
  • Sunray is the second most devastating spell you may acquire. Harnessing the light of the sun and concentrating it on one pathetic creature.
  • Day of Protection simultaneously casts Protection from Magic, Air, Body, Earth, Fire, Mind, and Water along with Feather Fall and Wizard Eye.

Grand Master Level Spell

• Divine Intervention calls upon the heavens to heal your characters of all damage, restore your spell points, and remove all adverse conditions. May only be cast three times per day and ages the caster by ten years. Is possible to die from casting this spell too much.

Dark Spells Normal Level Spells

• Reanimate will allow the caster to "raise from the dead" any monster or NPC, depending on their original hit points and the caster's skill in Dark magic.
  • Toxic Cloud creates a poisonous cloud of noxious gases in front of the spellcaster and sends it slowly away from your characters.
  • Vampiric weapon enchants a weapon with vampiric ability.
  • Shrinking Ray reduces the size of the target monster.

Expert Level Spells

• Shrapmetal fires a blast of hot, jagged metal in front of the caster, striking any creature that gets in the way and inflicting serious damage.
  • Control Undead takes control of the undead for a time.
  • Pain Reflection reflects damage inflicted on the target back onto the offending monster.

Master Level Spells

• Sacrifice slays a single NPC hireling tagging along with the party, restoring the caster to full health and spell power.
  • Dragon Breath is the most powerful damaging spell you may acquire. It empowers the spellcaster to exhale a cloud of toxic vapors that targets a single monster, but also damages all other creatures within a 10-foot radius. Cost is 100, delivering 1 - 25 points of damage for every skill rank. Recovery time is significant, but less for Experts and Masters.
  • Armageddon is the town killer, inflicting 50 points of damage plus 1 point of damage for every rank of Dark skill your character has to every creature on the map, including all your characters. It can only be cast once per day, and only outdoors, without cost in spell points. Quite exhausting, really. Experts can use Armageddon twice per day, while Masters can unleash it 3 times in one 24-hour period

Grand Master Level Spell

• Souldrinker sucks life from all creatures in sight and transfers them to the party in the form of hit points.
Edited by Tipsy

Another thing is magic variety. A lot of times, I see "Flame Vortex" or something, and I think "Oh, man! That'd be really cool as an Ice spell, 'cause I love Ice magic!" But nope... I only get some other Ice spell that doesn't do anything like that. And the game tells you "Oh, Ice spells just chill stuff and freeze things, so they're all designed around that, and not dealing damage." That saddens me.

Part of the best thing about magic is that it's friggin' magic! If I want to weave ice into torrents of destruction, then there should ideally be an option for that. If I want to weave ice into beneficial/support effects, then awesome too. There's no reason ice should inherently equal "only this one ability role."

I realize Archetypes are going to be pretty thematic, so it's not likely we'll just have a Genero-Mage Archetype that allows you to pick whatever element you want for spells. But, wherever the various elements and magic types are available, they should have equal opportunity to accomplish whatever it is that magic is capable of accomplishing. It's not about perfect balance or anything. I mean, I get it, if Fire's always going to set stuff on Fire, it's going to do more damage (all other things the same). But, that doesn't mean Firebolt should do 30 damage, while Frostbolt does 15 damage but chills. Maybe, for example, if you specialize in  Fire magic, you'll end up able to do about 10-15% more damage than if you specialize in Ice magic. But, that doesn't mean each of the individual Fire magic spells needs to be designed with straight damage-dealing in mind, while all the Frost spells must inherently be designed as support magic or something.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

building  on Cuddlesthepanda and Lephys have said:
Seems what you are describing is a spell creation/builder system.
if you took something similar to the crafting interface.
slots:
type: fire, wind, earth, cold, lighting, metal, etc (your archetype would limit what you have access, and the strength of it)
range: internal (affects character),touch,  external(medium, long, extreme?)
effect:  beam(single target), glow(internal), fan, cone, vortex, ball(CEP), vine, etc (some effects are available for certain spells)
reagents: allow for more power (from similar elemental beasts), strange effects (manticore added to stoneskin  causes poison damage around you), unique spells (I wonder what would happen if I slotted a thrall into a fire spell...)
You probably would need set/base spells for every class you can build off. (your school teaches you the framework, use it or go beyond...)
There still would likely be utility or specialty skills you couldn't change much.
The problems, of course is, the time and effort it would take to build somethng like this, and as mentioned above not letting melee feel left out.
Perhaps for internal spells, it could be attached to physical attack builder based around willpower or such to allow for different attacks.  - though I wonder what that would do to animations....
Group spells perhaps there would need to be a link spell that pools all mana to a main caster.  So spells that wold normally drain you dry, can be cast. Though there would need to be limits (can only link once evey 4 hours) or you would have multi-mage artillery destroying the battlefield.

I love where the op is going with this! I especially love the assisted spells idea. I would also love to see mages and the like have unique roles in sieges. For instance, a group of mages could form up as an improvised catapult where they launch giant fireballs at a wall, or like op's idea, they can drop mist on a keep making it easier to stealth. 

The upside is obvioulsy the effect, the downside is you have to sacrifice that many mages to chant that spell to give you the advantage. 

I also would love for different classes to have their own integral part in sieges. For instance, a druid could use their nature magic to create ladders for scaling walls, assassins could act as spies and temporarily appear to be on the other side and raise the gate if they are successful, etc etc. That way taking a keep is now more of a strategy than anything.