Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andelorn

Phase One: Starting Naked And Character Progression

With the Hunger update, it was stated that in phase one of a campaign you "are dropped (typically naked) into an unknown, deadly environment."

I'm wondering how character progression ties into this system.

What will a more advanced character have over a newer character in phase one? Will they deal higher unarmed damage and be able to take more damage? Or is it much more gear dependent, making crafters that much more important? What inherent parts of a character improve with experience gain? Does a newer character always have a small chance of defeating an advanced character?

If more advanced characters are inherently much more powerful than newer characters, I imagine we'll see guilds spending resources in phase one getting their crafters to outfit the more powerful characters first.

Edited by Andelorn

Now that you mention it, I am also wondering how strong "veteran characters" start out at the beginning of a campaign.  My first reaction would be that they do not start out as strong as they ended up at the end of their last Campaign.

I'd say character strength is likely very gear dependent (To promote an interesting initial game state).

Persistent character progression is likely subtle, late tech (Not active until a character has certain resources), and hyper-specialized.

That's my guess.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Think of it like a minecraft survival world, you load up, with your bear hands and some knowledge. You punch down some trees, hunt some animals for leather. Soon you have some basic stone tools and and fur/leather armour. You run around looking for somewhere to settle, you find a spot, rich in metals. You build a shack of dirt and wood and begin the process of building up.

Now imagine a few thousand people were doing that, collaborating, competing and carousing in a world where the mines start running dry, the fields fall fallow and the fight turns from politics to pure survival over time. 

Now that you mention it, I am also wondering how strong "veteran characters" start out at the beginning of a campaign.  My first reaction would be that they do not start out as strong as they ended up at the end of their last Campaign.

I'd say character strength is likely very gear dependent (To promote an interesting initial game state).

Persistent character progression is likely subtle, late tech (Not active until a character has certain resources), and hyper-specialized.

That's my guess.

Remember, your character has development in their skills (active and passive), disciplines, etc. It will be a slight advantage over "newbies", that and your knowledge base will be above theirs. Strategy first I guess?

If its anything like SB, gear will be integral but not deterministic.  Ie. No amount of gear will make a terrible build work.

Intellectual honesty is an applied method of problem solving, characterized by an unbiased, honest attitude, which can be demonstrated in a number of different ways:

• One's personal beliefs do not interfere with the pursuit of truth;
  • Relevant facts and information are not purposefully omitted even when such things may contradict one's hypothesis;
  • Facts are presented in an unbiased manner, and not twisted to give misleading impressions or to support one view over another;
  • References, or earlier work, are acknowledged where possible, and plagiarism is avoided.

They indicated that characters are persistent while worlds and campaigns are not. I would suspect you start without any gear but with any character driven perks, attributes, etc. you've built up. Vets will get a leg up on total noobs but I'm sure gear's going to be important. Attacking a noob in full plate using only your fists is likely a bad deal for anyone.

It also depends on what the FFA world really is. Is it really every man for himself or can you make small groups of maybe 6? (if you can make bigger then whole guilds will just group there.) Because in the group worlds it will be more about everyone finding eachother and taking that first resource node as opposed to just dukeing it out in the open. My guess is that the FFA world will be hard for a brand new player and will be a place where players go to test their might after a few campaigns with their guild or faction.

You see it in the current h1z1, especially since we're going to have a survival aspect. It's very difficult for a player who may not have the personal skill necessary to survive in an FFA world. But that's why there will be modes like 3 factions so people can dip their toes into the pvp waters in a much more perceived fair way since they will have help. At a much fairer pace.

Well i would like to see a skill system like darkfalls system.. (its kinda like the system in skyrim) were you have 0 skill in swords and then equip you sword and start to swing it on monster and you gain skill. same with stats if you want strength you chop wood or mine.. if you want intellect/Wisdom maybe you herb, read, fish, or just craft in general like alchemy, first aid, things like that.. 

And when a new server starts you loose like 40% of the progress? so if you had 100 in sword you now have 60 skill left.. or just keep it all.. it all depends on how long it takes to master swords for example.. if it takes 8h/day for like 2weeks of basically none stop grinding mobs with you 1h sword to get to 100 skill then 40% is fair.. but if it only takes about 24h to max out the sword vets might aswell just keep that 100 skill.. because the newbies will still have to farm mobs for more then 24h on a 6month/1year campaign map.. and since this is suposed to be a skill based game im sure if you are good you can still win if you land more hits.. 

another thing.. if you think about the systems im talking about here like the 1h sword skill lets say it works like this

you do 1 extra sword dmg per 25 points.. so a newbie hits for 10 and a vet with 100 sword skill hits for 14.. its not that big.. especially since after just like 2-4h of grinding you will have 25-50 skill in swords.. it gets real hard to skill up after 75 for example.. i would be fine with that.. 

Sorry for a messy post but im on my Pad reading forums :P

Edited by Exzear

It also depends on what the FFA world really is. Is it really every man for himself or can you make small groups of maybe 6? (if you can make bigger then whole guilds will just group there.) Because in the group worlds it will be more about everyone finding eachother and taking that first resource node as opposed to just duking it out in the open. My guess is that the FFA world will be hard for a brand new player and will be a place where players go to test their might after a few campaigns with their guild or faction.

I suspect that you can group up, but if the world is continent sized and we all spawn in a random distribution, even if you're speaking with your buddies, you'll have a tough time finding them. And there are inherent weaknesses in approaching random players in a full PvP game. :ph34r: + :blink: =  :rolleyes: 

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I suspect that you can group up, but if the world is continent sized and we all spawn in a random distribution, even if you're speaking with your buddies, you'll have a tough time finding them. And there are inherent weaknesses in approaching random players in a full PvP game. :ph34r: + :blink: =  :rolleyes:

I'm starting to imagine the FFA worlds with adventuring parties roaming the land in search of other players to loot. Maybe parties build an individual building, like a hunting hall or something, to serve as a base. And with potentially smaller groups of players running about, having a small, hidden base might be more useful than a huge stronghold anyway. Not to mention that small groups wouldn't have access to the resources to build a stronghold. 

I'm thinking outlaw bands, here. Like the Brotherhood Without Banners, or the Merry Men. ;)

He did say we would be dropped into a world naked.  But he also said that there would be crumbling fortresses and such.  Bet you could explore an old fort or castle and get your first weapon  and first set of gear.  After you get your city going you can have your craftsmen make better weapons and armor.

I suspect that everyone starts naked, and people progress over real time for each campaign. It's one way they can control and enforce the timelines for phases/seasons.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Remember, your character has development in their skills (active and passive), disciplines, etc. It will be a slight advantage over "newbies", that and your knowledge base will be above theirs. Strategy first I guess?

Okay, I might misunderstand this, but between campaigns, your character can keep the skills / disciples was obtained in the previous campaigns? That is very good, we should start only by gearing up again.

Based on the import rules, this might be the case for almost all Dying World.

OIW34IY.png

MA topics for recruitment.