Sign in to follow this  
ColtBoldmove

War correspondents

JOHN WELLS

JOHN WELLS

Mar 15, 21:31 CDT 

I was struck by an idea which I decided to share, for a future feature which could enhance the spectacle of the frenetic initial few minutes of a campaign (and perhaps eventually the final show-down). A commentator, whether a clan-member elected from the ranks of the last winning guild/faction or someone who won the approbation of one of the competing Gods on a quest or challenge, is given special access to the newest campaign so they can create a streaming video commentary of the initial confrontation. They are given a bird’s-eye view of the total map including flags on the various guild mobs placement, access to the player guilds before the start of the campaign for interviews and tours of the Eternal Kingdom, and the “Google streets” ability to zoom in on particular battles and searches. (Of course they would not be able to see the chatter of opposing Guilds, especially if the commentator is chosen from a previously victorious Guild challenge.) The commentator streams to a general audience, and may even be of strategic benefit to their own Guild.

Given a CW is a dynamically generated world that is completely unexplored when first opened, and the fact a large % of the competitive game play has to do with discovering / mapping out the unknown, why do this?

14 hours ago, Bramble said:

Given a CW is a dynamically generated world that is completely unexplored when first opened, and the fact a large % of the competitive game play has to do with discovering / mapping out the unknown, why do this?

Not sure I understand the question man. I think the automated history is to document the large sieges, conflicts, server wars, epic POI fights, etc, without requiring someone to sit down and actually write it up.

You could have it work in some pretty damn cool ways. Incorporate a skill to craft tabards to hang from the walls of your EK which tell the stories of Campaign Worlds won, automatically. To end up with something like this, but more generic, obviously:

http://winterblades.net/history/

55 minutes ago, coolwaters said:

Not sure I understand the question man. I think the automated history is to document the large sieges, conflicts, server wars, epic POI fights, etc, without requiring someone to sit down and actually write it up.

You could have it work in some pretty damn cool ways. Incorporate a skill to craft tabards to hang from the walls of your EK which tell the stories of Campaign Worlds won, automatically. To end up with something like this, but more generic, obviously:

I'd like this, to some extent. A way to draw or write in-game via books or some such to let players record in-game information.

5 hours ago, coolwaters said:

I am specifically referring to the idea of "special", and global access, to a world-map upon it's opening.  Have I misunderstood the OPs meaning?

1 hour ago, Bramble said:

I am specifically referring to the idea of "special", and global access, to a world-map upon it's opening.  Have I misunderstood the OPs meaning?

No, I think you understand his idea. I just think his idea is similar to several ideas that I've seen previously which I think are a little more practical and are definitely fully automated. c.f. the OP's idea, which is not automated, but rather just a guy telling a story in video with the aid of absent fog of war.

I like the automated history idea way, way more. It would auto populate formation of major guilds after whatever given threshold for size is met, placement of cities after whatever threshold is met to trigger the notation; war declarations, major victories, etc. All with zero or minimal human involvement.

Your post is essentially critical of the map reference in that post and I agree with you. I'd strongly prefer that the automated historian simply document when new areas are unlocked for the first time and by whom / which guild. Land claims as well, etc.