daegog

Just say no to: "Hold F to Gather"

18 hours ago, srathor said:

Where is the risk then for the warrior? Seems like if he wins his reward is way better than mine. Especially since he gets to start the conflict. 

Win or lose, the harvester now gets his guild mates and rolls the warrior's guild harvesters until they feel satisfied. That's what the warrior is risking.

Thats how these games work.

17 hours ago, srathor said:

Where is the risk then for the warrior? Seems like if he wins his reward is way better than mine. Especially since he gets to start the conflict. 

He doesn't stand to gain as much money as the crafter because the crafter presumably has market sources or he can craft it into something and make even higher profits. The warrior has less risk so he gets less reward.

3 hours ago, Colest said:

He doesn't stand to gain as much money as the crafter because the crafter presumably has market sources or he can craft it into something and make even higher profits. The warrior has less risk so he gets less reward.

The warrior would have the greatest reward.  It takes much less time killing a harvester and stealing a full inventory of loot compared to the time it takes a harvest to fill their inventory.  Both Harvester and Warrior could end up going to the same crafter, but that is a third party in the equation of Warrior vs Harvester.

For the love of god, no minigame.  Would like a toggle though.  Hit F to start harvesting.  Then if you move out of position the auto-harvesting stops.  Leave an option for the need to hold it for people who prefer that.

Posted (edited)

#1  Don't feed the Baddies!...   gankers are encouraged by getting loot and discouraged by spending hours and hours wasted looking for and not finding Gatherer or when they get away or successfully fight back, or have close backu
#2  Avoidance skills are a gatherers best defense...  stealth, speed or blink and a healthy fear and anxiety keep you alive.   See #1
#3  Only Gather to the amount you are willing to lose without pain... lots of trips are not as efficient yet much more effective in... See #1
#4  Gatherers should be top end scouts foremost... Tracking will tell you who is hearing your noise...   and See #1
#5  Solo Harvesting is generally a BAD idea and done only under optimal conditions, wee hours, low pops time, worlds big enough to make you hard to find, be smart, go for lower value/tier nodes when solo to avoid...  see #1
#6  Move around to harvest...   once pots are gone there is no timer ticking on your skill.  Harvesting for more than 5 minutes in the same area brings higher risk... scout an area thoroughly, pop a few nodes... go back into scout mode...  mitigate your risk andf above all see#1
#7  If you cannot follow these basic gathering rules stay in group events and don't go solo because see #1

Edited by RocketJSquirrel

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Weebles said:

The warrior would have the greatest reward.  It takes much less time killing a harvester and stealing a full inventory of loot compared to the time it takes a harvest to fill their inventory.  Both Harvester and Warrior could end up going to the same crafter, but that is a third party in the equation of Warrior vs Harvester.

If the harvester is dumb enough to not bring a bodyguard then sure it's easier and quicker. Likewise if the harvester is not reaping better profits off of resources than a scavenger then it sounds like the harvester is very bad at his job. This feels to me like a common instance of paper complaining that scissors is OP.

Edited by Colest

Another vote for something more involved than holding a key.  Also like the idea of attracting attention from NPCs and other players, which should not be a terribly hard script to add.

Posted (edited)

Thread tl/dr:  Good gatherer players are underpaid and undervalued compared to lazy PvP combat players.

edit update: gatherers are to fast food workers as combat hunters are to pimple faced fast food managers.

Edited by Frykka

1 hour ago, Frykka said:

Thread tl/dr:  Good gatherer players are underpaid and undervalued compared to lazy PvP combat players.

I'd even say they'll attract people with obscure advertising just so the lazy pvp'ers actually won't have to waste to much time looking for the gatherers... eventually, they'll drop the gathering all together because you'd have to be real mad to keep playing under these circomstances, and just have fights over the factories that pop resources in.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Overdhose said:

I'd even say they'll attract people with obscure advertising just so the lazy pvp'ers actually won't have to waste to much time looking for the gatherers... eventually, they'll drop the gathering all together because you'd have to be real mad to keep playing under these circomstances, and just have fights over the factories that pop resources in.

except that the world is a big, big place...   right Blair! 
In this case size matters...  right ladies?!

Edited by Frykka

Frykka makes a point, one I've mentioned before:  World SIZE plays a key role in calibrating PvP dynamics.  I think that issue is going to be far more critical than many are aware of.

Taking an analogy from Archeage:  Merchant ships versus Pirates.

In that game, the straits between continents was very narrow at one point, with only a few (hmmm, don't remember, three?) supposedly neutral trade ports along adjacent coasts.  It was pretty easy for Pirates to shut down sea trading between continents.  Once that happened Merchants stopped running ships of course because no one was interesting in repeatedly operating at a loss, so they swapped to land running.

Once THAT happened the floodgates of tears started pouring forth from Pirates because the game was supposed to provide them with a continuous stream of targets while they played Johnny Depp upon their ships.

Blah, blah, blah.  Yes, Piracy was a thing.  I never argued that.  But 2+2=4, and yes gravity does exist.

The bottom line in my eyes was:  The game world (distance between continents, very limited drop off points for Merchants) size was a setup for fail, as pointed out by some AA players on their forums:  As soon as Pirates become too successful - all the time, Merchants are going to stop sea runs.

It's possible (maybe) a corollary might be seen in a CW.  Dunno.  If the game world is too small you'll see nothing but small armies turtled around a couple of harvesters grinding up against each other like bumper cars at a carnival.

I'm more in favor of larger spaces where the chemistry of variance can find root.

21 hours ago, Weebles said:

Plus there's the whole strategy factor of getting resources to your allies/cutting off resources to your enemy. So I think looking at the big picture as a factor needs to go in to the whole who has more to lose or win debate.