Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Interbane

Harvester defense skill?

How about adding a few abilities deep in the harvester trees for defense while harvesting?  Nothing too game-altering.  Maybe a place-able alarm-style trip wire.  Or stun duration reduction while harvesting?

Why?

If you get jumped on during harvesting its your own fault. The entire game is catering towards groups/ guilds. Team up with others and keep an eye/ear out for enemy activity.

Gankers should not be punished for doing a good job at sneaking up to you.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us now!

There's no fault or harm or punishment either way.  Strange choice of words you have.  

If you invest in skills like these, it isn't punishment of your opponents.  Instead, it's a benefit to you.  It's like saying gankers are punished because there are stun reduction skills anywhere in the skill trees.  Or that gankers are punished because you can sprint faster than them and get away.  Granted, defensive skills can be overpowered to the point where they feel unfair, but that's not what I'm suggesting.  

The issue is the imbalance around dedicating a vessel toward harvesting and not combat. I would actually be ok with having some combat related skills buried deep in the harvesting trees to make the harvesters more effective in combat in defending their hard earned spoils. They certainly shouldn't be on par with dedicated combat vessels...but a shorter duration for CC, a sprint efficiency, a stam heal...could all be skills added to key skill nodes to reward the dedicated harvesters. 

3 minutes ago, yoink said:

I'd say just devote some training to the defensive combat skills or stealth or tracking

This.

Since there is no restriction on how many different trees you can dip into dropping some extra points into constitution or the early armor levels of combat is perfectly safe. I don't know exactly what they do but aren't the beneficial harvest buffs partly to help harvesters with staying alive? I heard there were sprint buffs mixed in there. Us Harvesters basically have a choice, we can go for pure harvesting and get the largest amounts of high quality material, but not be as combat effective and need larger groups or a combat dedicated bodyguard to avoid being killed, or we can sacrifice some ability with harvesting in order to stand a better chance of surviving with smaller groups. I suspect the best harvesting expeditions will be a mix of these two types, probably mixed with a strong combat focused tank player or two.

If you harvest and get ganked, that is because:

- you were not paying attention to your surroundings

- you were harvesting alone in a open PvP world

But both those issues are solved if you have just one friend : a lookout.

You don't need fancy skills to do the job you should do. The harvesting in itself is quite boring. What makes it interesting is that it is also risky.

32 minutes ago, Eaden said:

If you harvest and get ganked, that is because:

- you were not paying attention to your surroundings

- you were harvesting alone in a open PvP world

But both those issues are solved if you have just one friend : a lookout.

You don't need fancy skills to do the job you should do. The harvesting in itself is quite boring. What makes it interesting is that it is also risky.

People paying attention and/or running with a wingman will still get ganked.  Gankers would rise to the task.   It isn't about the slight advantage the skills give you over sloppy gankers.  It's about having options, adding complexity and tactic, and providing more skills to the endless time-sink nature of the skill tree.

2 hours ago, Interbane said:

People paying attention and/or running with a wingman will still get ganked.  Gankers would rise to the task.   It isn't about the slight advantage the skills give you over sloppy gankers.  It's about having options, adding complexity and tactic, and providing more skills to the endless time-sink nature of the skill tree.

but you allready have the option to put points in the the combat tree to make CCs less effectiv. No need to waste dev time on making special harvesting combat skills.

Complexety is added by disziplins and promotions.

Dont get me wrong im all for more options but im against mixing the combat and the crafting / harvesting skill tree.

2 hours ago, narsille said:

Here's an alternative...

Invest your training time in the combat skills try and buy high end gathering equipment from Narsille's House of Tools!

allright i buy a purple +60mining level pick for 1 slack ore. B)

Edited by Xenotor

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us now!

Trap skills, like from the Ranger, exist so it should not be too difficult. And you should keep some muscle around anyway, just in case. Harvestor-specific things aren't necessary so long as you compensate your vulnerability through other methods [numbers, skills, alertness].

On 3/21/2017 at 5:55 AM, Interbane said:

It isn't about the slight advantage the skills give you over sloppy gankers.  It's about having options, adding complexity and tactic, and providing more skills to the endless time-sink nature of the skill tree.

Appears this is what is already planned but instead of going all in to one path/role, making smart choices where we invest our training will come with pros/cons. Choosing to be a non-combat role comes with pros/cons, one of which is being vulnerable to those that choose to go the combat path.

Making assumptions here, but there is a lot of potential ways to increase survival rate for harvesters:

Pets - set to aggressive/alert

Tracking - near "enemy" alert

Disciplines - Trip Wire Alarm

-CC, +Defense, +Speed, +Stamina - combat/vessel trees, gear/vessels, disciplines, advantages/disadvantages.

Gathering/Harvesting - Invest into nodes that improve efficiency, reducing need to be out at one time or in one spot holding F (Zzzzz).

Stealth Tree - Maybe some "escape" help or at least improvement on those that go with stealthy ATs/roles.

Bring friends...

To me, these add a lot more complexity to the individual and social aspect of gaming.

I just leave the empty potions bottles lying around. The gankers are sure to trip on them and alert me. Also harvest as a druid or Lego, then you can heal up and run away. Make sure to waste the gankers time as much as possible as payback for the cheap ambush attacks.