Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Supply vs decay balancing

What are people's thoughts on the balancing of supply vs decay.  

By supply I mean all harvesting activities.  By decay, I mean everything after harvesting, including resource loss in the crafting phase.  Material into the world VS material out of the world.

I'm guessing that for every incremental amount the variables are changed on the decay side, it will only have a fractional effect on the supply side.  If things decay faster, there will be fewer items on the market.  If things decay slower, there will be more items on the market.  The amount of harvesting would shift, but the ratio wouldn't be 1:1.  In my experience, it might not even be a 1:2 ratio.  People's behaviors are tough to shift, and the impetus will always be larger than the behavioral shift.

The reason I'm pondering this is that I'm wondering at the rarity of nodes in campaign worlds.  There's no way to predict this, it'll be a factor that will be born of natural selection during testing. Do you think will the rarity be greater than what we see now?  How much will people be able to stockpile?  How much would they want to stockpile, if all those resources could be looted in a raid?  Or will people simply use alts as banks, and keep them logged off?  

This makes me think there should be a campaign ruleset where Vessels are always present.  Meaning, they're asleep while people are logged off.  Perhaps they can't be killed, but maybe pickpocketed?  

I don't think leaving vessels in world while people are logged off would be a very desired feature.  But if there is enough interest for it maybe they could try it out some day.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

There's a lot that isn't desired in the game, like dying, or crafting failures.  But they exist to balance one system or the other.  

I still miss the death penalty in old school EQ.  I had a friend who played for years but never made it to max level.  He'd die a dozen times in a single night, playing while drunk.  

I think if there was a campaign ruleset where Vessels remained online, it would add a lot of tension and risk.  Of course, there's a thousand things that could go wrong with designing such a system.  But imagine if it were done right.  You couldn't just hoard all your most rare items by dropping them onto "offline mules".  

2 minutes ago, Interbane said:

There's a lot that isn't desired in the game, like dying, or crafting failures.  But they exist to balance one system or the other.  

I still miss the death penalty in old school EQ.  I had a friend who played for years but never made it to max level.  He'd die a dozen times in a single night, playing while drunk.  

I think if there was a campaign ruleset where Vessels remained online, it would add a lot of tension and risk.  Of course, there's a thousand things that could go wrong with designing such a system.  But imagine if it were done right.  You couldn't just hoard all your most rare items by dropping them onto "offline mules".  

Those things happen while people actively play the game though, people wouldn't like losing or getting killed while they were offline at work or sleeping or doing something else.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir