Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Kurtz

Increasing Weapon Variety/Availability through Disciplines

First let me preface with if this information or thread already exists I apologize and I know this is not Shadowbane.

In Shadowbane the Skydancer Discipline gave access to thrown weapons.  Is there something similar that you are including with Disciplines that increases weapon type options?

Suggestion:  if it is not please do consider it.

I don't really know how many classes will actually benefit from using different weapons. Most of them have some sort of "staff power +5" or something in their tree that makes using other weapons a little silly. I mean, how different will different weapons actually be? Are they even worth have in the game?

1 minute ago, ringhloth said:

I don't really know how many classes will actually benefit from using different weapons. Most of them have some sort of "staff power +5" or something in their tree that makes using other weapons a little silly. I mean, how different will different weapons actually be? Are they even worth have in the game?

I am guessing the weapon-specific archetype training nodes will be adjusted to solve that problem. Those skill trees are far from finalized.

IhhQKY6.gif

Just now, Jah said:

I am guessing the weapon-specific archetype training nodes will be adjusted to solve that problem. Those skill trees are far from finalized.

But why were they put in there in the first place? We've always only been able to equip one weapon...

1 minute ago, ringhloth said:

But why were they put in there in the first place? We've always only been able to equip one weapon...

Hard to say. But if those skill lines gimp weapon Mastery disciplines, I think that could be fixed pretty easily.

IhhQKY6.gif

42 minutes ago, yoink said:

Unless different weapons do different things it doesn't matter. Right now weapons are just cosmetic other than damage type.

Right now seems to be the difference of - as you stated Damage Type, melee vs ranged and it would also allow me to utilize multiple vessels/archetypes and only invest in one weapon.

Thanks for the input.

Druid's being given a shield is an option that has been revealed, and this would require a different weapon be granted since the staff is 2-handed. Whether the powers would remain the same or be similarly casted spells, or if this would grant the Druid melee capability is unknown. My feeling is that we will see weapon mastery runes which open up ATs to new weapons which will in some cases change their combat dynamics. They would need to modify the system across the board in that case to add actual differences between the weapons, with such things for example as having a polearm hit someone from further away than a 1-handed sword etc.

I would like to open this up as much as SB did, but unless they find some new way to make producing the new animations easier/cheaper - motion capture perhaps - it will be a while before we see a truly robust version of this.

Edited by Anthrage

8 hours ago, ringhloth said:

That would come down to the powers granted and playstyle ultimately. Last Q&A they mentioned they plan on letting you jump to the next node with a partially completed skill, so you probably won't need to waste more than a little time on the weapon you won't use, in exchange you get a little extra versatility, and people that stick closer to the archetype's core will get a bit of extra power.

14 hours ago, Vonpenguin said:

That would come down to the powers granted and playstyle ultimately. Last Q&A they mentioned they plan on letting you jump to the next node with a partially completed skill, so you probably won't need to waste more than a little time on the weapon you won't use, in exchange you get a little extra versatility, and people that stick closer to the archetype's core will get a bit of extra power.

I think the idea is that they mention over and over about understanding their playerbase are min-maxers and that many of systems cater to that mindset yet, if these nodes stick for live, they will hit the same pitfall as weapon mastery runes in Shadowbane. Versatility rarely outweighs the extra efficiency/damage.

7 hours ago, Colest said:

I think the idea is that they mention over and over about understanding their playerbase are min-maxers and that many of systems cater to that mindset yet, if these nodes stick for live, they will hit the same pitfall as weapon mastery runes in Shadowbane. Versatility rarely outweighs the extra efficiency/damage.

I think that would ultimately come down to the synergy between the base mechanics of the class and the powers granted by the discipline. For example the extra stun and AOE granted by master of maces might be worth not training their two handed sword nodes for a Templar when comboed with their existing damage field move.  After all, at no point do you have to go down that portion of the tree, at least not until you get everything you want from the other branches.

On 29/03/2017 at 7:16 AM, Anthrage said:

Druid's being given a shield is an option that has been revealed, and this would require a different weapon be granted since the staff is 2-handed. Whether the powers would remain the same or be similarly casted spells, or if this would grant the Druid melee capability is unknown. My feeling is that we will see weapon mastery runes which open up ATs to new weapons which will in some cases change their combat dynamics. They would need to modify the system across the board in that case to add actual differences between the weapons, with such things for example as having a polearm hit someone from further away than a 1-handed sword etc.

I would like to open this up as much as SB did, but unless they find some new way to make producing the new animations easier/cheaper - motion capture perhaps - it will be a while before we see a truly robust version of this.

An eagle eyed ranger guild member (soulreaver) spotted dev patch notes / log entries when Melisa was streaming the EK building...

master of scimitar animations added to druid...

my question is going to be how such extra weapons will blend with existing kits e.g. tray swaps? essence generation and spending? life/death trays? current powers 'require arcane staff' messages etc etc etc

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png