Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roux

"Player Position: XYZ" Number Ordering

Hello,

Very new to the game. In the first 10 minutes of playing I wanted to switch vessels. Someone said all you have to do is go back to 1000, 1000. However I spent a silly few minutes trying to figure out which directions were moving the second number. Later I find out that the second number is vertical and the first and third numbers correspond to NSEW. For me, the intuitive method is to list the flat directions first and the vertical third.

If this is an easy fix, it might help other new players like myself find directions just a little bit easier.

What? Seriously? Vertical is second number? If running on a flat surface the second number doesn't change, but the first and third do change? As an engineer, this is counter-intuitive. I would never guess that perpendicular to the surface would be the y-axis and running on a flat surface is parallel to the xz-axis.

Probably has something to do with Unities default assignment of xyz co-ordinates.  From very confusing G-Force and black out direction discussions on Star Citizen, I seem to recall that there is something odd about the way graphics artists look at xyz, and way that physics does.  

G-axes.jpg

EDIT: IIRC, they had y and z swapped in SC, which seems to also be the case here.

Not surprising, the ways artists look at the world has always been a enigma to me, it's just that sometimes they leak that thinking into the real world, and it boggles the rest of us.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

34 minutes ago, Jah said:

Fig03_02.png

A left-hand rule? This came from a course called "Game Programming" haha! I've never seen this depiction before! I learnt sumthin new!

Electrical Engineers and Physicists in the field of Electromagnetics use a Right-Hand Rule. The thumb is (almost) always height or depth. The right-hand rule is the easy way to determine the direction of propagation (thumb) of an electromagnetic wave since it visualizes the cross-product of two vectors (E and H) in space. The direction of propagation from an antenna would be the y-axis if the antenna is mounted on the xz-plane, which would occur if the antenna were mounted on the side of a building or vehicle.

Hold your right hand out like your going to shake someone's hand. The middle finger is the x-axis. Bend the index finger and the second knuckle to make it perpendicular to the other fingers. The tip of the index finger is now the y-axis. Stick your thumb straight up to point to the z-axis. The curl (cross-product) of the middle finger to the index finger results in the thumb.

For the record, I don't care too much. If it's as simple as transposing two numbers, could we have an option to show XYZ instead of XZY? If not, 'll just remember to (usually) ignore the second number in the coordinate system. Interesting discussion, nonetheless.

That is exactly why it was an issue with G-Force discussions in SC.  

Aircraft and space craft have always had the diagram in my first post as the model, where Z is always vertical. Because of the difference in how a human body deals with G-Forces, dependent on the direction of those forces, there was quite a bit of confusion when the developers would reference the "Game Programming" view of XYZ, and everyone else was using the aeronautical view.

That's the great thing about standards, there are so many to pick from. 

9 hours ago, ganaka said:

Electrical Engineers and Physicists in the field of Electromagnetics use a Right-Hand Rule.

Ha. So one particular friend, then. He is a certified electrical engineer whose ...whatever college degree he has is in software engineering. I bet his head will explode. I will record it and hope he doesn't disappoint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

I think Jah's depiction is the most likely culprit.

They set up the coordinates as XYZ, which correlates to Horizontal/Vertical/Depth(?)

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.