Sign in to follow this  
Helix

Templar Impressions

The templar has been live for awhile now and I'm curious what everyone's impressions are so far. Mine are the following:

• They're the "tankiest" of the "tanks", but I'm still debating whether they're worth taking over a knight or myrmidon that have a more diverse set of offense tools and can generally peel better.
  • Righteous parry is slightly over tuned, but I don't think putting a cool down on the damage component is the right idea. I'd rather them decrease the damage slightly. Right now a huge chunk of survival and damage is attached to it.
  • Pips can be hard to generate in many scenarios. Part of this has to do with templars being extremely easy to kite. If a templar can't hit anything, they're going to get starved out fast. Chasing targets with censure on CD seems futile.
  • Censure seems incredibly buggy. Cool down feels too long, especially considering the templar doesn't have alternative methods of catching an enemy.
  • Divine Light originally did too much damage, but now it does too little. Healing feels just fine. On average, with a green-blue sword, I was getting about a 3k heal per tick, but only doing 1k per damage. Not the "will melt you if you stand in this" type aoe field they advertised it to be. This one is hard tho, it's a large field, if it does too much damage it might make playing melee completely unbearable. 
  • They feel entirely too ignorable in combat, don't feel threatening enough.
Edited by Helix

• I enjoy the active way blocking in order to force a parry makes me feel tanky. I agree that the parry hits a bit too hard. I also wonder how blocking may change for the Templar and how that may change how tanky they feel. They currently use the same "blocking tech" as the Knight, but when Assassins come in with positional damage I imagine we'll see the Knight's and Templar's block go from 360 degrees to 180, maybe even with diminished damage reduction for Temps.
  • I think more folks would be okay with pip generation if they used Devotion more and Divine Light less.
  • Censure is certainly buggy, but I'm okay with its cooldown and how Temps are fairly susceptible to kiting. Disciplines will probably go a long ways to helping in that regard.
  • Someone previously suggested that the pulses of DL should get progressively stronger and I think that'd be a good change.
  • I enjoy feeling ignorable in a fight. It makes landing the knockdown that gets someone focused and killed really, really good.

17 hours ago, Helix said:

The templar has been live for awhile now and I'm curious what everyone's impressions are so far. Mine are the following:

• They're the "tankiest" of the "tanks", but I'm still debating whether they're worth taking over a knight or myrmidon that have a more diverse set of offense tools and can generally peel better.
  • Righteous parry is slightly over tuned, but I don't think putting a cool down on the damage component is the right idea. I'd rather them decrease the damage slightly. Right now a huge chunk of survival and damage is attached to it.
  • Pips can be hard to generate in many scenarios. Part of this has to do with templars being extremely easy to kite. If a templar can't hit anything, they're going to get starved out fast. Chasing targets with censure on CD seems futile.
  • Censure seems incredibly buggy. Cool down feels too long, especially considering the templar doesn't have alternative methods of catching an enemy.
  • Divine Light originally did too much damage, but now it does too little. Healing feels just fine. On average, with a green-blue sword, I was getting about a 3k heal per tick, but only doing 1k per damage. Not the "will melt you if you stand in this" type aoe field they advertised it to be. This one is hard tho, it's a large field, if it does too much damage it might make playing melee completely unbearable. 

Would have to fully agree on everything stated here and i share the same feelings especially over DL. Its way too weak.

DL is not way to weak, i love the weaker DL because some enemys don't run out of it.

But like the 2 above us the parry DMG is to high specially if i are in the loop of parries u don't wanna get 12-16k DMG

I would see a little more DMG on the auto attack because with 2,0-2,5k we are nearly 2 k weaker then legio and knight

Also without parry the Templar can't kill one

Totally agree with @mrmoneda

Edited by DravoiX

The party knockdown should definitely have a cool down. Having a mechanic like that feels so bad for the game...Just spamming 7-8 second knockdowns into people is extremely unfun. 

I'd be fine if they lowered the damage slightly 9-10k crits and put a 3 second cooldown on just the knockdown, and left the damage reduction while parrying. 

DL damage could be better but I don't think it's necessary...It's the main contributer to people being pip starved. Just use devotion and the 2-2-E combos...You get 4 pips if you hit 2 people in a group fights with it. 

Templar can kill just about anything imo...They have trouble with fessors if you're out of pips and can't parry the CC. But otherwise you can lock someone up for a good 15 seconds or something crazy like that, and use execute when you can cause that ability combo hits really hard. 

I think with parry changes mainly, the Templar is in a pretty balanced position. Plus like @mrmoneda said, disciplines will go a long way filling any gaps people feel ATs might have.

35 minutes ago, Jjohnsin said:

The party knockdown should definitely have a cool down. Having a mechanic like that feels so bad for the game...Just spamming 7-8 second knockdowns into people is extremely unfun. 

I'd be fine if they lowered the damage slightly 9-10k crits and put a 3 second cooldown on just the knockdown, and left the damage reduction while parrying. 

DL damage could be better but I don't think it's necessary...It's the main contributer to people being pip starved. Just use devotion and the 2-2-E combos...You get 4 pips if you hit 2 people in a group fights with it. 

Templar can kill just about anything imo...They have trouble with fessors if you're out of pips and can't parry the CC. But otherwise you can lock someone up for a good 15 seconds or something crazy like that, and use execute when you can cause that ability combo hits really hard. 

I think with parry changes mainly, the Templar is in a pretty balanced position. Plus like @mrmoneda said, disciplines will go a long way filling any gaps people feel ATs might have.

if they lowered the damage on the parry, I think the knock down spam would be way more tolerable. Same goes with most CCs, getting stunned / knocked down and hit for 10k is not cool. Take some of that damage off of parry and sprinkle it around to other things. 

I've had great success with using devotion WITH divine light, but I find devotion on its own to be "meh". It doesn't apparently stack with other templars either since it's a buff, and most buffs simply get over ridden.

I also find the #2 and #3 combos to be extremely clunky, but that might be most due to lag (which makes playing anything melee feel clunky).

Edited by Helix

tooltip on parry knockdown say what this is triggered only on melee but it is actually working on everything - ticks from other DL, range dd, range magic etc

anyway with disciplines they can get some bow/grab skills and fix lack of antikite abilities. no need to balance more. still strong in massive fight and not so strong in 1v1

When originally explained to us the Templar was to only be able to parry slashing dmg and not melee as a whole? As soon as we got her she was able to parry all forms of dmg.

Edited by destrin

The First Look news piece about Templar powers stated melee damage, then the video came with Blair talking in which he stated Slashing damage, which I believe was a misspeak. We'll find out ~eventually~ 

When we get directional blocking I am pretty sure that it will be fine if she can parry all forms of dmg.  Though there needs to be like a 5 to 10s CD on the knock down IMO.

4 hours ago, destrin said:

When originally explained to us the Templar was to only be able to parry slashing dmg and not melee as a whole? As soon as we got her she was able to parry all forms of dmg.

did you test dmg mitigation? coz I noticed there was no mitigation - just CC immunity and counter attack triggering.

anyway ability to immunity to CC from base kit - OP stuff + melee aoe non stop knockdown. I can life with lack of movement (team fights >>> solo runs). this AT is still counter all melee AT.

OP base kits: block (mitigation), immumity to CC, crit chance (crit damage), heals, immunity to damage, life steal, range dps, root, silence

all other stuff like stuns, dps skills and such - regular imo.

11 minutes ago, makkon said:

did you test dmg mitigation? coz I noticed there was no mitigation - just CC immunity and counter attack triggering.

Yeap, when parrying you gain +65% mitigations across the board, just like the knight.

Edit: Let me see if I can grab the picture.

Edit 2: This is from February 22 from not parrying and parrying Templar.

temp2.png

Edited by destrin

3 hours ago, destrin said:

Yeap, when parrying you gain +65% mitigations across the board, just like the knight.

yea. I rewatched my videos from 1day templar and noticed some mitigation. looks like floating numbers working with some delay and this was my mistake.

also it looks like while counter attacking animation block mitigation not working

On 04/04/2017 at 2:19 AM, Helix said:

I agree with Helix feedback.

I also like to add that Devotion needs a decent boost to be worth of using.

1 hour ago, Tofyzer said:

I also like to add that Devotion needs a decent boost to be worth of using.

Doesn't devotion double pip generation?

1 minute ago, destrin said:

Doesn't devotion double pip generation?

Devotion heals of like 10% damage done and cost pip to activate. Average healing from LMB attacks are 2xx HP

5 minutes ago, Tofyzer said:

Devotion heals of like 10% damage done and cost pip to activate. Average healing from LMB attacks are 2xx HP

when using an ability that generates pips on a target with sin (devotion applies sin) u gain an additional pip.