Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Best Answer feature: Feedback wanted

The recent forum software upgrade included the loss of our previous "Best Answer" feature. Invision has a new system now, quite a bit different from what we had before. 

I asked Jared to toggle it on for this section of the forum only so we can hammer on it a bit and see whether or not we like it will enough to deploy it in other forum areas (e.g. Welcome to Crowfall, Community Question and Answer). 

Please experiment with it and let me know what you think. (Threads that are obviously part of this testing will be removed so we're not turning this forum into a junkpile.) 

Ready, set..... GO! 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I have an answer, just for testing the feature of course.

rfeWlLe.png

EDIT:

So it just hit two pages, and I was reserving judgement until I saw how it behaved when it did that, and it was worse than I expected. 

I followed the link in my notification window, where it dropped me on page two, on my own comment, which was not the last comment added. It must have counted how many posts in the thread I had read, and dumped me onto page two because the count said I need to be on page two to see the "New" one, then promptly sorted the real new one back to page one.

What a total pile of poorly made socks.

EDIT2:  Seems you can't un vote once you've voted.  That's not good if someone decided to troll by posting a good answer, then editing out the content.  

Edited by KrakkenSmacken
TOP POST EDIT

I had the opportunity to test this feature as a user for a year. Personally i liked the old feature more. But it depends on how it is used.

The version i know isn't copying the best answer on top of the thread, but rearranging the postings themselves depending on their score - and by this messes up the whole timeline. That can be very confusing if people reply/add to specific answers or post follow-up questions/answers. I don't know if it is possible to turn the rearranging off. If so, i am sure that it would be better to do so.

It is helpful, if users don't discuss too much, but really just answer the question as completely as possible. But, well, thats a big difference to what we are used to do. xD

Another thing is that it is community driven. Thats not bad per se. But the old system gave our answers an official touch. It was good to know 'ok, THIS is kind of signed by ACE'. As far as i know, the team can confirm a best answer and it's voting field will become green to show this. Thats fine, it just doesn't look as official as with the old system.

Guess we'll have to see how it works with this community. :)

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

A nascent commercial quantum computer has arrived at Los Alamos and may solve certain problems with such astonishing speed that it would be like pulling answers out of a hat.

Quantum computers have long been on the horizon as conventional computing technologies approach their physical limits. While general-purpose quantum computers remain on the horizon for the time being, a special kind of quantum computer already exists and could be a game changer for simulation and computing tools in support of Los Alamos National Laboratory’s mission of stockpile stewardship without nuclear testing. It may also enable a slew of broader national security and computer science applications. But first, it will undoubtedly draw a vibrant community of top creative thinkers in many scientific fields to Los Alamos.

That's my best answer!!

5 hours ago, Kraahk said:

I had the opportunity to test this feature as a user for a year. Personally i liked the old feature more. But it depends on how it is used.

The version i know isn't copying the best answer on top of the thread, but rearranging the postings themselves depending on their score - and by this messes up the whole timeline. That can be very confusing if people reply/add to specific answers or post follow-up questions/answers. I don't know if it is possible to turn the rearranging off. If so, i am sure that it would be better to do so.

It is helpful, if users don't discuss too much, but really just answer the question as completely as possible. But, well, thats a big difference to what we are used to do. xD

Another thing is that it is community driven. Thats not bad per se. But the old system gave our answers an official touch. It was good to know 'ok, THIS is kind of signed by ACE'. As far as i know, the team can confirm a best answer and it's voting field will become green to show this. Thats fine, it just doesn't look as official as with the old system.

Guess we'll have to see how it works with this community. :)

I just flipped between Sort by Date, and Sort by Votes.  That seemed to work well functionally, but as to being able to figure out that it's even there, it's not exactly obvious.

It would be sooooooo much better if it had a "Best answer first", option, that copied the current front runner to the top, and then ran the sort as you selected below that.

Are you guys (ACE) allowed to ask for new features/suggestions?

47 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Are you guys (ACE) allowed to ask for new features/suggestions?

That's a knee slapper. I almost snorted root beer into my nose. 

TL;DR: No, the software provider is not open to feedback. 

7 minutes ago, Pann said:

That's a knee slapper. I almost snorted root beer into my nose. 

TL;DR: No, the software provider is not open to feedback. 

I would like your comment, but I don't.  Sorry.

Let's hope this open development model you guys are using gets a bit more traction in the greater development world. 

I guess the real question boils down to "Is this feature useful enough to implement on a limited basis or should we not even bother with it?" 

As long as "sort by date" is the default, it doesn't seem to change normal behavior, and can help filter noise in really long threads.

Still want to see a how a page two functions, so expect pointless chatter in here to increase post count.

You know, the feature is only half finished.  Another filter to order by "Likes" would do the same job.

Sigh, your forum providers are... lacking. Was it built by Eastern Europeans?  They seem to have to have an , um er, different outlook on user experience. 

While I'm bitching about the forum functionality.... Managed followed content is a pain in the ass. Topics I follow is ordered by the thread creation time, so active can end up on page two or three or thirty three, even if they keep getting new posts.

That is the worst.

As an admin of the same software I have to admit this new method is not the best way to deal with "best answers". The idea behind the rearrangement is reasonable but makes it hard to follow, like others have already said. This is intended though - thoughts behind this is to get short and helpful answers to your simple question and not to start a discussion. However, if your plan is to stay up to date with new software releases from now on there will be a huge improvement coming live in the next few months including a feature where individuals/moderator can highlight best answers as well as an overhaul of the current best answer feature.

A current fix / workaround to stop rearranging the contents might be able by overriding the theme used but meh.. personally not a big fan of this. So we kept it like it was and it is still getting used quite often. Discussion should just be held in other places of the board. There is a variety of different forums anyway.

Banner-250x50.png

German Community Fansitehttp://www.crowfall-community.de/ - News | Forum | Patchnotes | Guild Hosting | Guides | Database

17 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

While I'm bitching about the forum functionality.... Managed followed content is a pain in the ass. Topics I follow is ordered by the thread creation time, so active can end up on page two or three or thirty three, even if they keep getting new posts.

That is the worst.

It is called "manage followed content" which does exactly what it is supposed to do. You manage your topics/forum settings sort by date of following not by creation time. The intention behind following a topic/forum/member is to get notified if there is something new happening. Either via mail or board push-notification. If you want a chronological list of new items: https://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/notifications/

The Manage Followed Content is here to adjust settings like notification type or even to unfollow old topics. Therefore a listing sort by date of following does make sense 100 %.

Banner-250x50.png

German Community Fansitehttp://www.crowfall-community.de/ - News | Forum | Patchnotes | Guild Hosting | Guides | Database

6 minutes ago, CFC_Shiro said:

It is called "manage followed content" which does exactly what it is supposed to do. You manage your topics/forum settings sort by date of following not by creation time. The intention behind following a topic/forum/member is to get notified if there is something new happening. Either via mail or board push-notification. If you want a chronological list of new items: https://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/notifications/

The Manage Followed Content is here to adjust settings like notification type or even to unfollow old topics. Therefore a listing sort by date of following does make sense 100 %.

The intention sucks and make zero sense from a "what a person actually wants from the functionality" point of view.  

If I am following threads, I want a list of threads I am following that have changed since I last read them, and for that to be at the top, and not have to page through multiple pages of topics that didn't change, to find the one that did. I just found a thread I am following, had no notification of, and was three pages deep.

You can't tell me that's a good user experience, because it's not.

Even with "A notification when new content is posted" selected, I only get notifications when people like or quote me if I am on line, and thread changes don't show up in that list you sent me if it's someone else's post that happens when I am offline, that would get notified if I was online.  

It may make "logical" sense, but as a user experience and being clear how to use it to get what you want, it's poorly made socks.

Programmers are for the most part poorly made socks at designing user experience, we think different than normal people, and yes I include myself in that category.

That they won't take suggestions from customers is boggling to me.

10 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

The intention sucks and make zero sense from a "what a person actually wants from the functionality" point of view.  

If I am following threads, I want a list of threads I am following that have changed since I last read them, and for that to be at the top, and not have to page through multiple pages of topics that didn't change, to find the one that did. I just found a thread I am following, had no notification of, and was three pages deep.

You can't tell me that's a good user experience, because it's not.

Even with "A notification when new content is posted" selected, I only get notifications when people like or quote me if I am on line, and thread changes don't show up in that list you sent me if it's someone else's post that happens when I am offline, that would get notified if I was online.  

It may make "logical" sense, but as a user experience and being clear how to use it to get what you want, it's poorly made socks.

Programmers are for the most part poorly made socks at designing user experience, we think different than normal people, and yes I include myself in that category.

That they won't take suggestions from customers is boggling to me.

I do see exactly what you mean and I can feel you. I will give you one more tipp - but I hope ACE (@Pann) does not hate me for doing this as they are obviously hiding this feature for reasons (traffic load):

https://community.crowfall.com/discover/followed-content/

This page/The discover or stream feature which came with IPS 4 is meant to help you with your needs. If enabled you can create your own custom streams to follow topics/themes with different criteria. This is disabled though from ACE and I will respect that. But maybe you can use the link above - but just don't tell to many about this as it is not intended to be public, apparently. 

Edited by CFC_Shiro

Banner-250x50.png

6 minutes ago, CFC_Shiro said:

I do see exactly what you mean and I can feel you. I will give you one more tipp - but I hope ACE (@Pann) does not hate me for doing this as they are obviously hiding this feature for reasons (traffic load):

https://community.crowfall.com/discover/followed-content/

This page/The discover or stream feature which came with IPS 4 is meant to help you with your needs. If enabled you can create your own custom streams to follow topics/themes with different criteria. This is disabled though from ACE and I will respect that. But maybe you can use the link above - but just don't tell to many about this as it is not intended to be public, apparently. 

Thanks for the link, and yea I messed with that option in Naval Action when they made the switch.  

For all the options, it still doesn't have the option I actually want, and had a real nasty habit of only keeping part of the configuration between sessions. 

The developers really let feature creep and over complexity get out of hand on this "upgrade".

Don't like how it changes the post order, for an ongoing discussion it's really confusing. If this is implemented only in the "Community Question and Answer" forum it's fine, although doesn't add any more that "likes" would.

tiPrpwh.png

5 minutes ago, miraluna said:

Don't like how it changes the post order, for an ongoing discussion it's really confusing. If this is implemented only in the "Community Question and Answer" forum it's fine, although doesn't add any more that "likes" would.

Wasn't a fan of this sorting either, but you can also sort by date rather than votes, near the top of the thread as well.  Which makes it less obnoxious.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel