Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: UI Updates

37 minutes ago, perfectdork said:

Floating nameplate UIs will be addressed when we update the Combat HUD to be movable, and customizable with various visual styles (different bar styles, hiding/showing text elements, etc). Those systems are linked. It's not far away!

Random idea / request - will it be ever an option to display incoming and outgoing damage / healing only in % values instead of raw numbers?

e.g. I hit Uncle bob for 5% and I healed myself for 10%

(or alternatively to locally display all numbers divided by 10 instead e.g. my 20k crit displays as 2k rounded etc)

Also will we get a combat text log at some point?

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

3 minutes ago, blazzen said:

I think having nameplates and health bars over everyone's head causes lots of clutter, performance issues and makes hiding in the environment harder. I'd like to see a targeting hud that pops up when you put your crosshairs on someone and do away with hp bars and nameplates as they are now.

Take a look at Darkfall Unholy Wars for example.

The only downfall with that is large groups of FFA. I mean if it was say a 15 vs 15.   And your group leader said... Okay go for SirGeorge the Legionnaire.  And there are like 6 legionnaires on the field it makes finding Sirgeorge very difficult especially when everyone is running about like crazy so you then have to track every horse down in order to find the right one Sirgeorge.   I mean yes if the goal was to fix performance and clutter it would be a good system.  But this would also make it significantly harder to pick out an enemy out of a giant mob. 

also how about improvements to the compass UI / usability? (e.g. tracking specific members down or shading their % hp or precise distances)

we also recently lost the capacity to see the name of the player that crafted something or its basic type (and perhaps ID not sure)

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

32 minutes ago, blazzen said:

I think having nameplates and health bars over everyone's head causes lots of clutter, performance issues and makes hiding in the environment harder. I'd like to see a targeting hud that pops up when you put your crosshairs on someone and do away with hp bars and nameplates as they are now.

yes, for me DFUW (with floating dmg period) UI style and color was perfect.

one exception - enemy nameplates color and style (it was best in DF1)

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: rangefall

Discord makkon#8550

1 hour ago, perfectdork said:

I know :(  It will be a grand day when this is addressed. Let me champion it and see if it can be moved up.

Please do!  I personally find it's one of the biggest problems with group fights.  The friendly fire we currently have adds an interesting element to combat, but I basically have to rely on my team to distinguish friend from foe.  Some combination of the color scheme, font size (on 3440x1440), and my old man eyes makes it very difficult for me.  Thanks!

Also, while everyone is piling on UI requests, I'd like to see a mouseover for the power formula, i.e. "1441-1949 + 170% weapon damage" actually populate with what you have equipped.  Once all your UI tech is in and the design is approaching what you'd call "almost complete", I think the community would appreciate a UI master thread specifically for this type of feedback.

@Hyriol, great idea. We will have a master UI thread to track requests and feedback all in one place. Our next major floating window update will be our character sheet which will provide much better information and stat organization. It should provide a better drill down.

Billy Garretsen - UX Design Lead, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Personal Portfolio]

1 hour ago, SirGeorge said:

The only downfall with that is large groups of FFA. I mean if it was say a 15 vs 15.   And your group leader said... Okay go for SirGeorge the Legionnaire.  And there are like 6 legionnaires on the field it makes finding Sirgeorge very difficult especially when everyone is running about like crazy so you then have to track every horse down in order to find the right one Sirgeorge.   I mean yes if the goal was to fix performance and clutter it would be a good system.  But this would also make it significantly harder to pick out an enemy out of a giant mob. 

Large group FFA combat is what Darkfall did best. It works. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

Just now, blazzen said:

Large group FFA combat is what Darkfall did best. It works. 

hmm if it worked there.  I'd be willing to try it out.  They already kind of have a system somewhat like it.  Instead the Opponent ui is top center and quite smaller. And where the game is hoping to field battles of up to 50 vs 50 I would say darkfall ui would be better as the clutter would be near overwhelming. 

that said @perfectdork would it be okay to change texture files in the game folder?  Or would that get us a slap on the wrist. 

6 minutes ago, SirGeorge said:

hmm if it worked there.  I'd be willing to try it out.  They already kind of have a system somewhat like it.  Instead the Opponent ui is top center and quite smaller. And where the game is hoping to field battles of up to 50 vs 50 I would say darkfall ui would be better as the clutter would be near overwhelming. 

that said @perfectdork would it be okay to change texture files in the game folder?  Or would that get us a slap on the wrist. 

Yeah they sorta have it now but it needs to have a slight delay or fade effect when you mouse over someone until you get a new target. It's too immediate on/off right now. It also needs to be moveable so it can be closer to crosshair. 

Level of detail used to (might still) drop nameplates and hp bars when frames got low so obviously it has an effect on performance. I think something like this would help. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

2 hours ago, blazzen said:

Big deal here Billy...   I don't want a bunch of floating names/ health bars, just the guy(s) I am looking/aiming at and only at fairly closer ranges.  Being sneeky (not stealthed) does no good if your stupid nameplate is a giant billboard saying I am right here!...  

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

I really like the login screen and world browser. White minimalist designs are totally under-represented in gaming. Clean interfaces are far superior to crowded "busy" ones in my opinion and we see farrrrrrr too many "busy" ones in mmos these days. As a joke, I've included one of those :P

WoWScrnShot_112609_212920.jpg

The fact that your UI is on a white background is only abhorrent to the basement dwellers unfamiliar with that big glowy orb thingy that causes our planet to warm up each day (yes, the Sun). 

I think the ability to show more important aspects with less noise is an ideal goal and one you should stick to. With that said, the ability to "mess things up" from a user perspective should they want more, should also be made possible.

I like it, I like it all.

Darkfall had the unfortunate fate of never looking like a finished game to me, which is in part because of their UI. If Crowfall could avoid looking anything like Darkfall I think that'd be for the best. 

I've mentioned before that my favorite screen so far has been the dark abyss of the skills training interface and that hasn't changed. I mean, the spinny, actiony statues of the archetypes is cool... but so bright...

I'm also a fan of the newer flat in-games windows, and look forward to giving feedback on whatever's next in implementation. TBH what I long for every time I log in is the ability to move my Templar pip meter (like Duelists already can!) and to have it's position saved between log-ins.

Hi, I'm moneda.

I love the diorama that you guys made when logging into the game. It looks badass, almost as if it was a standstill frame from a cutscene. Plus, at the start of each major campaign you could change the diorama to maybe tell some sort of story. Lastly, I love the mainly white display with black highlights, it makes the diorama look like winter has come and they are in a blinding blizzard. However, a mainly white UI with hints of color is usually what I like the best.

3 hours ago, blazzen said:

Oh man I would love this. Makes stealth so much more interesting and feasible, and forces you to actually observe when doing recon.

I do love the spinning diorama of the Archetypes, can't wait for the final 4 to be added to it.

(p.s Assassin when? :P)

A suggestion though, if you're going to do away with the bright white screen, I would propose changing it into a gritty battlefield, full of the Hunger and dead Archetypes, fighting a never ending war. :)

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I generally like the updates.  Thank you!

Some of the icons are still too busy and hard to identify at a glance.  The cleanness of the new UI amplifies the clutter.  This applies mostly to the icons that feature the head or full body of the avatar performing an action.  I think that most of the clutter is due to the 2-color scheme.  If the background was offset in a darker hue, it would make the figure pop out better.

My $0.02

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

1 hour ago, IHeartFargo said:

Oh man I would love this. Makes stealth so much more interesting and feasible, and forces you to actually observe when doing recon.

Ya this looks really good, I would want the group leader/raid leaders having the ability to mark players through for their allies to see

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

9 minutes ago, YouTubejasonwivart said:

Ya this looks really good, I would want the group leader/raid leaders having the ability to mark players through for their allies to see

And the easiest way to do that is to give them a power that puts an obvious persistent visual effect on the target. Like what I hoped Faerie Fire would be.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

1 minute ago, Jah said:

And the easiest way to do that is to give them a power that puts an obvious persistent visual effect on the target. Like what I hoped Faerie Fire would be.

Exactly, this is a very simple thing to do and honestly most people would never use it but the serious guilds and groups would be all using it.

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA