Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Expanded testing of EKs - Official discussion thread

Pann

Active test groups will receive EK assets for testing. If you are in one of the active test groups (Pre-Alpha 1 - Beta 2) and did not receive the [TESTING COPY] resources, please contact support@crowfall.com. 

Prior to each playtest, we will announce which test groups have access to launch EKs. 

FULL STORY

I'm glad you addressed the testing problems.  A short term roadmap (with no dates, just approximate order) would really help, too.

Cool that you're letting more people test EK's, though frankly, it seems a bit wasteful from a testing perspective unless you're just testing load (edit, nm, I see you're wanting people to test fort / castle assembly.  Seemed to work well enough for me - I'm just not interested enough in 3d jigsaw puzzles to keep messing with mine).  There's SFA to do in the EKs at present - building mine was fine for an hour's diversion, then there was nothing to do.  Housing instances are not why I (or presumably most of your tester base) am here.   When you add PvP flags to EKs and allow us to invite 30 people, we'll use them for training (at the cost of not being in the CW's for the duration of training), and possibly our crafters will do their crafting there, but otherwise, meh.

Edited by durenthal

Glad to see the effort being taken to address the bugs before they pile up even further.

On the topic of EKs it will be interesting to see how they pan out in the end.  Everyone having one will devalue them a little, as a lot of people are going to want others to come to their EK; leaving us with a lot of one man worlds.  Not suggesting that they change this at this point, it's what people are expecting, just curious to see how it pans out.  Could have tied them to the guild like in Guild Wars, but that probably would have made the micro-transaction aspect more difficult.

As it is I think guild EK's will mostly be the only ones that see traffic more than a few people.  I just worry that people wanting to spend time in their own will bring down the traffic on the guild EK's, which is where the social hubs will be (outside of the CW's of course).

2 minutes ago, KohrAh said:

Glad to see the effort being taken to address the bugs before they pile up even further.

On the topic of EKs it will be interesting to see how they pan out in the end.  Everyone having one will devalue them a little, as a lot of people are going to want others to come to their EK; leaving us with a lot of one man worlds.  Not suggesting that they change this at this point, it's what people are expecting, just curious to see how it pans out.  Could have tied them to the guild like in Guild Wars, but that probably would have made the micro-transaction aspect more difficult.

As it is I think guild EK's will mostly be the only ones that see traffic more than a few people.  I just worry that people wanting to spend time in their own will bring down the traffic on the guild EK's, which is where the social hubs will be (outside of the CW's of course).

If they can ever figure out how to join EK's then it's a non-issue.  Instead of having a 20x20 parcel EK, you could have a 40x20 parcel EK (or even larger).  Then we stop having just a kingdom, and we begin building a true world.

Personally I think they have been short sighted with using EKs as an integral part of the game design; but maybe that's just because we haven't seen everything related to the EKs yet.

lUvvzPy.png

It is great that some zap and polish is going on. 

I think EK's are a touch of brilliance. 

While far from my focus, having something 'permanent' that you can call your own, as well as having a community aspect, fills multiple niches!  Some people get immense enjoyment/satisfaction from having personal areas/homes/etc.

I know in other games people have made a 'side profession' of designing/layout of a personal/guild home/hall/area/etc. 

Of course, depending upon how a market system is set-up, this would be very useful here too (while I know some advocate for no such market system, having to roam dozens, hundreds, or more, EK's in seach of X or Y on a vendor thrall  without direction seems like a fruitless, and ultimately detrimental, idea).

I also hope a system to SWG's housing decoration will make an appearance in EK's, especially once they added the ability to adjust/move things via commands.

36 minutes ago, Dakyn said:

I'd like to play in/with my EK but I cannot until that 100% CPU issue is fixed.

The CPU issue is a Unity thing rather than an ACE thing, but we are working with the Unity engineers to try to resolve it. 

2 hours ago, Pann said:

The CPU issue is a Unity thing rather than an ACE thing, but we are working with the Unity engineers to try to resolve it. 

Yeah, I noticed that in the last update. Just saying,... kind of a bummer not being able to play the past few weeks.

So that explains why there were no servers this weekend... I was puzzled as I was able to login and play around in an EK but there wasn't anything else.

That being said, I imported a bunch of stuff before the TESTING resources were added. My "Fort Lodge" disappeared though. It wasn't in my spirit bank or inventory when I checked. Is that likely caused by trying to use a bad build? Or is it some other sort of bug? Or should I email support?

I'm looking forward to experimenting more with the EK.

Some bugs are funny like when animals do a funny dance.

Some bugs are annoying like when you do a task and then you don't get the reward for doing it.

Other bugs stop you from playing. Those are the worst.

Fixing bug is all part of the natural process of building a game and you shouldn't be ashamed of spending time to fix them.

I still experience lost of bad bugs on basic actions like moving, actions, and fighting which makes the game unplayable almost completely.

So actually, I this you should spent more time fixing thoses bugs because I haven't been able to meaningfully participate in any test for months now.

On 4/19/2017 at 11:43 AM, durenthal said:

I'm glad you addressed the testing problems.  A short term roadmap (with no dates, just approximate order) would really help, too.

Cool that you're letting more people test EK's, though frankly, it seems a bit wasteful from a testing perspective unless you're just testing load (edit, nm, I see you're wanting people to test fort / castle assembly.  Seemed to work well enough for me - I'm just not interested enough in 3d jigsaw puzzles to keep messing with mine).  There's SFA to do in the EKs at present - building mine was fine for an hour's diversion, then there was nothing to do.  Housing instances are not why I (or presumably most of your tester base) am here.   When you add PvP flags to EKs and allow us to invite 30 people, we'll use them for training (at the cost of not being in the CW's for the duration of training), and possibly our crafters will do their crafting there, but otherwise, meh.

Considering the robust functionality EKs will serve, even as storage points, it will be a diversion many people will spend days of their gaming time messing around with. And while the land jig-saw won't translate into the campaign worlds, I'm pretty sure the buildings and the like will for player cities and what not. So good to know all is working well. You wouldn't want your eventual city to have some unknown bug that just let people glitch in and camp you unfairly because enough testing was done--would you ;)