kris

2 Different Tank Roles? (Templar Vs Knight)

RoleIcon_Lrg_Tank_Dodge.png

This is the Tank role emblem for the Templar. (-source)

If you check the Knight role emblem, it's similar (the shield, hinting as another tank), yet different.

DVDQkttl.jpg

What do you think the differences will be between the two roles?

Edited by kris

I'm curious what their definition of a tank in a pvp game will be.

In my view, a pvp tank is centered around a few key concepts:

Survivability- Lots of armor, and damage mitigating abilities.

Movement- The ability to rapidly close the distance between themselves and enemies.

Crowd Control/Peels- Abilities which can stun, slow, hinder or re-direct enemies, enabling team mates to secure a kill or escape death, alternatively.

Maybe the Templar is much more agile and probably a much better figther (DPS). I think that the Templar is good at getting the attention of foes, but not so good at soaking damage. The Knight, on the other hand, is much slower, and equiped with heavier armor. 1) Imagine a Knight and a Templar facing a group of archers. The Knight raises his shield and keeps deflecting incoming shots, while the Templar is gets heavily damaged by the arrows. 2) Now imagine a Knight surrounded by Hunger infested zombies. They keep hitting from all sides and he can`t cover all those angles with his shield. On the contrary, the Templar could clear those suckers out with a few swings of his sword :D

Well I think all the archetypes have different classes to some extent. There isn't "a tank" or "a healer" its more of combinations of standard classes and newly developed ones. So the knight might not even be a "tank" to begin with. They might consider him a standard DPS fighter. Knights are usually the "Marios" of MMOs. The most standard and basic class that has generally basic damage, basic defense and basic skill. Pretty much good at everything but not GREAT at everything.

Well I think all the archetypes have different classes to some extent. There isn't "a tank" or "a healer" its more of combinations of standard classes and newly developed ones. So the knight might not even be a "tank" to begin with. They might consider him a standard DPS fighter. Knights are usually the "Marios" of MMOs. The most standard and basic class that has generally basic damage, basic defense and basic skill. Pretty much good at everything but not GREAT at everything.

So you think they labeled it a tank but it's not a tank?  So the supports aren't supports and cent's are actually power bottom unicorns?  You are over thinking it buddy. 

I thought that too, but the legionnaire is a "melee dps fighter" and the symbol for that is a sword in crosshairs. I'm going with heavy tank for Champion, medium tank for Knight and light tank for Templar.

Edited by chancellor

Tera originally had two tank classes.

Lancer who stood there and took damage, but had a poorly made socks ton of armor and such. As well as some badass PvP abilities like stuns, a chain pull, etc.

And the warrior who was more of a dodge tank, and focused on mobility and quick strikes.

I would like to see every class, regardless of "role", have comparable dps to all other classes. Now back to the Templar =P  It looks like they are primarily a 2H wielding class with a skill set of abilities we will get to unlock with progression. I personally would love to see some form of holy smite with different effects, such as one type of may stun, while another version might give a holy burn over time.

I can envision this holy knight leaping into the air and then come smashing down driving their weapon into the ground, creating fissures of holy energy that damaged enemies, while healing allies. There are so many cool things they could do with this class, would be great to see their powers grow with more unique and potent looking visual effects as they skilled those abilities higher.

Thanks need to be threats without doing a lot of damage. So one will likely be an in-your-face tank that CC's enemies, demanding attention. The other will be a protection tank, buffing allies and begging to be attacked.

If they do go with a role system resembling a MOBA, I hope they make it much more in depth, progression-wise. 

I thought the best part of ESO was how the devs seemed to flirt with horizontal progression via morphing of abilities.  Path of Exile is very horizontal, perhaps even more than I'd prefer CF to ever use, but a good example nonetheless.

Templar sounds like a semi tank with good damage to me who still stand in the front line but behind the knight and looking for opportunities to jump in. Just look at the basic stat you can see that Templar has higher Strength and Dexterity point already. Furthermore they use a two-handed sword while a Knight use short sword and a shield, which clearly defines their positions. But still, i don't know if they will bind weapon to classify class or not. Because if a knight can use 2h sword and a templar in reverse there would be a different story.

Well, the icon shows boots and a shield, whereas the knight icon looks like a breastplate. My guess would be that the templar is a more mobile active tank and that the knight is a passive armor based tank.

Well, the icon shows boots and a shield, whereas the knight icon looks like a breastplate. My guess would be that the templar is a more mobile active tank and that the knight is a passive armor based tank.

My thoughts too.

It seems that templar will be more mobile tank (ergo the boot in role icon) and knight will be more damage soaking tank (ergo the breast plate in role icon).

I know it might sound stupid, but aren't they try to show us some kind of a "DPS tank"? I mean, in the images, she is using two handed sword. As we all know, shield is not a requirement for tanking, but it might get handy in different situations. But in a case of a "DPS tank"... I don't know, it might be useful if they show us some kind of a spell list or active skillset.

Or they might have just replaced the old icon with a new one.