kris

2 Different Tank Roles? (Templar Vs Knight)

Sooo... Is it just me?, or does anyone else see the center right portrait which is clearly a thumbnail of the Winged Elf from those banners?...

Does that mean she's an Archetype? Does that mean there is flight? Does that mean...

I would imagine it would be something similar to the Warrior and Paladin in FFXIV: ARR. 

I see the Knight as a better 1v1-3v3 style of tank. Would be easier for the Knight to be able to hold down aggro on one target or just a few targets with a few solo target abilities to lock down priority targets in PvP. The shield would add bonus defense and possible get proficients that allow the heavy armor to give bonus defense, but in turn the Knight would have less HP.

I see the Templar as doing a little better DPS (to hold aggro in PvE) and have AoE abilities to be a threat in PvP. AoE abilities could be things like knock backs on several targets, roots, etc. The Templar would also have higher HP and possible abilities to give a "magical shield", but would not have the defense of a Knight. This would make the Templar still a threat, while maybe a little easier to kill, the Templar can better control groups of enemies thanks to the AoE abilities.

I think this will better balance the two and allow people to decide on what type of tanking they would enjoy.

I'm hoping the main difference is that Templar have a universal defense vs physical and magical damage. not that nobody else has magic defense, but a combination of armor and mysticism could make the Templar universally survivable, maybe less focused in other aspects in comparison.

"Armored Knight walks through Flames"

30313837a82f4c9ddf66e6b77c627a73.jpg

If you open the role image on the archetype page you can see that it is named 'Dodge_Tank' ...in my mind I think the Templar will have more 'dodge rolls' etc..don't know if there will be TWO tank roles though..

I think the templar overall will be more agile, quick, being able to dodge. While the knight will take more direct hits/blocking ( considering the breastplate icon).

Also seeing as the templar is not using any shield i see them mainly as a dodge type of tank. 

It's nice to see we'll have different means of tanking. 

A Templar from Aion is tank with shield :) they are better at keeping aggro. A Knight in my opinion will be more DPS based to be perfectly honest I have no idea how the two will differ even from a blind guess!

- OIC now, the templar is a crowd control tank whilst the knight is better one on one tanking. -IMO

Edited by trugamer

IMHO the Templar will be a spell tank, and the Knight a physical tank.

The Knights serve the Lords, or are wandering Knights helping widows and orphans. They are good fighters but they don't necessarily use magic spells.

Templars are obviously related to Church, and they fight in crusades in the name of their god using holy powers.

I guess Templar will use magical defensive skills, and the Knight a huge physical armor.

Because of that difference, it's not easy to say wich one will be more agile. The Templar could rely on his holy shields, and be less agile with his long sword than with a short one. And the Knight could attack swiftly with his one handed sword, and make shield charges.

Or on the contrary with her light physical armor the Templar should be a swift tank running everywhere around, and the Knight a real panzer dude with big armor :lol:

It all depends on the use of Dexterity, Templar has as much Dexterity than Strength. Will Dexterity be used by tanks to dodge or to attack swiftly, it's up to the devs :P

Edited by shmilbick

I agree with shmilbick with the type of powers that the Templars will have, but I don't think one will be more magic then physical based. I think that will be something that in each archetype you can specialize in, instead of limiting a tank to just one type because of the archetype they chose.

I don't see the ability to "dodge", each class will be able to dodge. If dodging and evasion was the key to the being a tank, an assassin/ninja style class would be much better dodge tanks. Wearing heavy armor and having a two handed sword doesn't allow for better mobility then an assassin or thief would have. 

I think the Templars will have magical shields and abilities that will protect them. 

In my opinion, a Templar ability would be a shield that blocked up to 500 damage. Regardless of the defense of the Templar, the shield would only block 500 damage that was dealt to the Templar. Where a Knight would have a damage reduction ability, All damage that is dealt to the Knight is reduced by 30%. This would make the Templar needing to dodge more, because the more they dodged they would be able to keep the 500 damage shield saved for the moments they couldn't dodge. The Knight wouldn't worry about dodging as much, because any damage dealt to him would be reduced 30%.

I wondered when someone mention a concept art we saw of knight fighting champion. Two short swords are clearly visible. While I agree that knight looks like damage soak tank my guess there is more to that class then just sword+shield combo. And whoever said 'short sword + shield' I disagree. I think it's longsword in last arts and screenshot.

Crowfall_ChampionBattle.jpg

Edited by rolan storm

In another post, somebody linked the adresses of the Icons :

Templar : http://artcraft-web-crowfall-media.s3.amazonaws.com/RoleIcon_Lrg_Tank_Dodge.png

Knight : http://artcraft-web-crowfall-media.s3.amazonaws.com/RoleIcon_Lrg_Tank_Mitigation.png

We can read the adresses, Templar = "Tank_Dodge" and Knight = "Tank_Mitigation".

This is only data mining, nothing is confirmed.

But if we compare with the armor they wear on the screenshots, the Knight wears a really bigger armor than the Templar.

The Knight has his neck, his thighs and the whole arms all covered with armor, and a shield... We can strongly suggest he really mitigates damage.

Unlike the Templar, who wears a lighter armor, allowing her to dodge attacks. And related to Church she is likely to use sacred shields.

Classically, Templar were more of a vagabond knight, granted special recognition in the attempt to rally participants in a crusade. Thus the double saddled knight as their banner, because they shared horses.

vzvth-zig.jpg

If they separate the defending roles from the high defense "tanks" the use of evasion or mitigation could distinguish the Knight and Templar from each other as initiation units designed to lead into heavy engagements rather than systems of support that tie them to defend allies.

Edited by BahamutKaiser

I wondered when someone mention a concept art we saw of knight fighting champion. Two short swords are clearly visible. While I agree that knight looks like damage soak tank my guess there is more to that class then just sword+shield combo. And whoever said 'short sword + shield' I disagree. I think it's longsword in last arts and screenshot.

Crowfall_ChampionBattle.jpg

I don't believe that weapons will play a key factor in the Archetype. I think a Knight's abilities will be the damage mitigation I was speaking about earlier. I think the weapons just show that you can be more diverse in your Archetype. A Knight will probably not be able to do as much damage as an Assassin, but it will probably be able to do more damage then a Knight that uses a Sword and Shield combo.

I don't believe that weapons will play a key factor in the Archetype. I think a Knight's abilities will be the damage mitigation I was speaking about earlier. I think the weapons just show that you can be more diverse in your Archetype. A Knight will probably not be able to do as much damage as an Assassin, but it will probably be able to do more damage then a Knight that uses a Sword and Shield combo.

And I am not questioning Knight being mitigation tank, good sir. :) I just think there is more versatility to the class then meets the eye at first glance. Besides, a bow? I hope archetypes will have opportunity to extend their roles further and become suited for different kind of tasks a little more then their specialization suggests, is all.

For example, I always thought that my warrior being unable to use a bow somewhat too far to my taste. I mean not expert sharpshooter, yes. But unable? Same thing with some classes being unable to use other weapons. Just doesn't make sense beyond game balance.

And I am not questioning Knight being mitigation tank, good sir. :) I just think there is more versatility to the class then meets the eye at first glance. Besides, a bow? I hope archetypes will have opportunity to extend their roles further and become suited for different kind of tasks a little more then their specialization suggests, is all.

For example, I always thought that my warrior being unable to use a bow somewhat too far to my taste. I mean not expert sharpshooter, yes. But unable? Same thing with some classes being unable to use other weapons. Just doesn't make sense beyond game balance.

I definitely think that the archetypes will be able to use several different weapons, but I think with a proficiency system you will allow other archetypes to focus in one weapon more then others.

A dual-wielding knight could have more AOE abilities and focus on parrying and a Sword-Shield could focus on stuns.

I am looking for something on the lines of a paladin with good healing abilities with high armor and maybe not to much hp since the healing abilities will make up for that.

I think a designer referenced it as Champion VS Knight, but I'm not positive on that one.

That is most certainly a Champion (And by the looks of his size, he might belong to a giant race).  I really should be paying attention to these concept art banners (The Devs did say they all have actual gameplay meaning).

I'm going to guess that Champions are melee DPS.