Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeulSaijin

very professional ...triple A

Anyone ever see Men In Black 2?

At the beginning when Agent J (Will Smith) has to take care of Jeff (600 ft worm) in the subway tunnel.  He takes care of it and as he's going up the steps to leave he stops 2 guys on the street trying to enter and tells them that the station is shutdown...for their safety.  Their response is something to the effect of 'can you believe these putzes?'.  To which Will responds under his breath 'you're welcome'.

You're those 2 guys right now, Zeul.

ACE didn't do what they did to personally ruin your weekend.  There was a problem.  They made a decision (as companies will often do) that may upset some of their patrons but is necessary in the long run.  Every AAA company that has games in production (not pre-alpha) will take servers down for maintenance and will let their patrons know as soon as possible.  It may be an emergency downtime when something unexpected happens but they will keep people apprised of the situation.  Which is exactly what ACE did.

Relax.  Breathe.  It's not the end of the world as you know it.

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

1 hour ago, Waikikamukau said:

Anyone ever see Men In Black 2?

At the beginning when Agent J (Will Smith) has to take care of Jeff (600 ft worm) in the subway tunnel.  He takes care of it and as he's going up the steps to leave he stops 2 guys on the street trying to enter and tells them that the station is shutdown...for their safety.  Their response is something to the effect of 'can you believe these putzes?'.  To which Will responds under his breath 'you're welcome'.

LoL the best comparison EVER :)

I think someone above alluded to this, but there are at least two types of "tester/backers:"

1 - those who want to play now, think that they are entitled to play because they paid, and are doing it primarily for themselves, their own fun

2 - those who want to play now, but know that they may not be able to because it's alpha, and who want to have fun but know that testing is about finding bugs as much as enjoying early access to the content

The "pay for testing" or "early access" model is a fairly new phenomenon in the gaming industry.  It's an emergent, successful way for companies to secure funds for game development.  But people who back early really need to realize that they are making a long-term investment, like buying a stock, which hopefully yields returns on the back-end but is not guaranteed to do so. You're getting the retail product, *if* the game makes it that far, and you're allowed access at times when things are working right (but no guarantees) as it's being developed. You didn't buy a finished product -- in essence, you bought a license, or right to access, a product while being developed. And hopefully you care enough about the potential product that you provide constructive input while testing, in order to help it actually become the product that you are longing for.

But since this new model is relatively new, many people still think and expect and feel entitled to a working product, even when a game has a  long way to go in terms of being feature-complete.  They are thinking old-school: pay a price, get a working product.  They need to be thinking new age: pay for access, and hope for a working product on the back-end. Over time, as people adjust to having things work this way, less of the old-school thinkers will buy-in early -- they will adjust their expectations or realize that it's not for them. Because, truly, being a backer is only for the patient, the helpful, the hopeful -- those willing to pay now for the right to experience something that hopefully results in the product they are dreaming of, but which may not result in that or in anything at all.

And let me just say, in closing, that none of these "may not result in a working product" comments are directed at Crowfall in particular -- I was just talking generally about this trend in game development :) 

Hasil that was a great explanation.  I was writing something along the same lines but you said it better.

Yes it sucks there is no test but better to find a serious bug and stop testing to fix it then leave play running and deal with hundreds of threads like this because someone lost XY or Z due to the bug.   Ultimately the stop start testing is producing a better environment in the long run.  

Back at the start of Big World there was no PvE server/EK, no spirit bank, and no factions. You would gather and craft everything on an FFA server where everyone wants to kill you, with the product of all your labor sitting in your pack ready to be looted. The first time I had painstakingly pulled together enough stuff for a full set of advanced armor + weapon, while carefully dodging pvpers, and taken it to a remote spot to start crafting in relative safety.. the server crashed and got rolled back to that morning, all my stuff was gone. I did it again that evening. And just after I finished the craft, the server crashed again, and rolled back to the same point. I even made a dumb joke about it like "Sorry guys, I figured out why the server keeps crashing and rolling back, it's triggered by me finishing my weapon craft." I tried it again the next weekend and.. take bug stole my weapon.

Some people have no idea how bad it used to be, and how far we've come since then. We're lucky if the worst thing that can happen is they say "sorry it's too buggy, try again next weekend." We used to have worse bugs and we used to play through the weekend with them, damnit, and I gotta say it's better - more "professional" - this way, just calling it early instead.

Also it was all uphill in the snow both ways.

Edit: I saved a screenshot from those days, just so you guys would know what you missed:

mm3h29.jpg

Edited by Avloren

Actually closing down the test to sort out major problems is a sign of how professional this team is not the other way around.

Its worrying that we are starting to see the 'entitlement' element of MMO gamers creeping into the game and onto the forums. Crowfall currently has one of the best communities out there and I'd hate for the community to go the way of certain other MMO's currently in development in regards to its playerbase

OP from your posts it is obvious that you don't really have the aptitude for pre-alpha testing and maybe you should have waited until the game was nearer completion before signing up. You are not here to 'play' - you are here to test early game systems 

uGlR0Ph.png

1 hour ago, Badwolfe said:

Actually closing down the test to sort out major problems is a sign of how professional this team is not the other way around.

Its worrying that we are starting to see the 'entitlement' element of MMO gamers creeping into the game and onto the forums. Crowfall currently has one of the best communities out there and I'd hate for the community to go the way of certain other MMO's currently in development in regards to its playerbase

OP from your posts it is obvious that you don't really have the aptitude for pre-alpha testing and maybe you should have waited until the game was nearer completion before signing up. You are not here to 'play' - you are here to test early game systems 

We aren't starting to see entitlement element, it has been here the whole time, it just comes in waves. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Putting aside the fact the OP is a complete dip$hit...

...I think the thing to solve the cancelled play tests is coming soon and that will be 24/7 testing. The fact that we will have a 24/7 play test server with a stable build and then a separate "test" server for new (but maybe not stable) content should quell the concerns from the peanut gallery.