Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

ACE Q&A for May - Official discussion thread

9 minutes ago, Handies said:

Can we get the questions being asked on screen and kept on screen until the next question?

I second this. It is really hard to understand the question for non native english speakers.

1 hour ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Some interesting tidbits.

• Seasons don't affect ore/mineral node output, probably trees as well.
  • Auto run key someday.
  • Account name/reputation is tied to your in game account.
  • POI resources have a snare effect while carried.
  • Skills change is from 1-100 to 1-5 with greater jumps.

Very informative.

Unless you've got alts with different names...

I wish there was a clearer stance on use of alt accounts - I believe Gordon has said that he doesn't think the majority of players will use alt accounts.  The FAQ (Here) says there will be rules to encourage the use of single accounts.  

There have been a large series of discussions on the forums surrounding the use of alts, and I still feel there has been no definitive stance from the devs about the use of alt accounts or any of the game design that will encourage/discourage the use of alts.  

I think no matter how you slice it everyone can agree that, at the moment, having alt accounts will be an advantage.

Edited by Izalea

6 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Also are you the same zybak that made a youtube video of beating vanguards once in a skirmish?

If it was WoW 3v3 arena from a Feral Druid/Warrior perspective then yes. I never did skirmishes. Only rated.

The only other Zybak sounding person I know is a semi-pro CoD player who's name is "zybackk" or something. 

I'm disappointed in how they answered the harvesting question and the dregs commerce question.

Can we look at campaigns as only part of the whole.  The question to me has always been, how do we unite those players so that all of them are a part of the larger Crowfall universe and each one impacts each other.

The point I'm trying to make is that it really doesn't matter if a CW has 500 concurrent players (more would definitely be better), it only matters how the integration between EKs and CWs are handled.  Ta-da, we have a game that has already solved this problem; EvE.  CCP created the space systems so multiple servers could be spun up, similar to how EKs will be spun up.  EvE has 50k-ish concurrent players spread across tons of systems, where systems are grouped together into clusters.

EvE allows players to have fun in their own way, by allowing hi-sec fun, or 0.0 fun (or wormholes and low sec).  Crowfall is imitating that differing fun by providing 3 faction campaigns, 12 faction campaigns and the dregs.  The connection within in EvE is not only the movement of ships between warring systems, it's the movement of goods.  I believe Crowfall would benefit from allowing goods to flow freely between all campaigns/EKs at set intervals, and giving each type of campaign band unique resources that can only be gotten there.  The dregs should definitely be the place that only the ingredients for top tier gear are found, however the outer bands should have unique ingredients that have to be paired with the dregs materials in order for those top tier gear pieces to be finished.

Give a win condition inside of campaigns for players that "need" that incentive; meanwhile give a lot of us the economy and social connection that will keep the game alive.

A side comment I thought of -   CF could even have it's own version of wormhole space in terms of Illara's ability to  go to other dimensions.

I don't care what the design for harvesting is, if it's not fun, then people just won't do it.

lUvvzPy.png

3 minutes ago, Izalea said:

Unless you've got alts with different names...

I wish there was a clearer stance on use of alt accounts - I believe Gordon has said that he doesn't think the majority of players will use alt accounts.  The FAQ (Here) says there will be rules to encourage the use of single accounts.  

There have been a large series of discussions on the forums surrounding the use of alts, and I still feel there has been no definitive stance from the devs about the use of alt accounts or any of the game design that will encourage/discourage the use of alts.  I think no matter how you slice it, everyone can agree that, at the moment, having alt accounts will be an advantage.

Having an alt-account will always be an advantage.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Just now, Zybak said:

If it was WoW 3v3 arena from a Feral Druid/Warrior perspective then yes. I never did skirmishes. Only rated.

The only other Zybak sounding person I know is a semi-pro CoD player who's name is "zybackk" or something. 

Oh, did you ever get gladiator?

Just now, VIKINGNAIL said:

Oh, did you ever get gladiator?

No. Got very close many times. I maybe could've gotten it in Legion S1 since I was really good at the multi-dot Feral playstyle. 

1 minute ago, Teufel said:

I'm disappointed in how they answered the harvesting question and the dregs commerce question.

Can we look at campaigns as only part of the whole.  The question to me has always been, how do we unite those players so that all of them are a part of the larger Crowfall universe and each one impacts each other.

The point I'm trying to make is that it really doesn't matter if a CW has 500 concurrent players (more would definitely be better), it only matters how the integration between EKs and CWs are handled.  Ta-da, we have a game that has already solved this problem; EvE.  CCP created the space systems so multiple servers could be spun up, similar to how EKs will be spun up.  EvE has 50k-ish concurrent players spread across tons of systems, where systems are grouped together into clusters.

EvE allows players to have fun in their own way, by allowing hi-sec fun, or 0.0 fun (or wormholes and low sec).  Crowfall is imitating that differing fun by providing 3 faction campaigns, 12 faction campaigns and the dregs.  The connection within in EvE is not only the movement of ships between warring systems, it's the movement of goods.  I believe Crowfall would benefit from allowing goods to flow freely between all campaigns/EKs at set intervals, and giving each type of campaign band unique resources that can only be gotten there.  The dregs should definitely be the place that only the ingredients for top tier gear are found, however the outer bands should have unique ingredients that have to be paired with the dregs materials in order for those top tier gear pieces to be finished.

Give a win condition inside of campaigns for players that "need" that incentive; meanwhile give a lot of us the economy and social connection that will keep the game alive.

A side comment I thought of -   CF could even have it's own version of wormhole space in terms of Illara's ability to  go to other dimensions.

I don't care what the design for harvesting is, if it's not fun, then people just won't do it.

But the dregs isn't really supposed to be as much a part of the whole as other bands, the dregs is meant to be free of uncle-bob, whereas the other bands have a much larger meta-game potential. 

500 is very few, it would make for pretty boring servers.  The world needs to feel large, it needs to feel like there are a bunch of different factions vying for power, a throne war simulator so-to-speak. 

The EvE system you are talking about is against the vision of crowfall.  Crowfall has dying campaigns, the reset is what makes it interesting. 

Also there will always be people doing harvesting, but those that don't have fun doing it should do something else, instead of expecting everything to be fun to them.  I'm not going to run around and tell crafting to change to my personal preferences just because I usually hate crafting in games.  I acknowledge there are die-hard crafters out there and that they should have their cake too.

4 minutes ago, Teufel said:

What is big worlds main things to do? Combat/gathering/crafting. 

How many people are doing the play tests?

What is the first thing anyone who has played tells newbs to do when they mention any crafting? Drink potions. 
What do the potions do. Help make you viable at crafting and gathering.
How do they make you viable. They give you a large amount of skill in a vast chunk. That spreads over all the trees of training at once. 

The potions are a hack crutch. Made because noone could DO anything at start. All of the lofty rhetoric about interdependence matters one whit when the base part of the game is unviable and unfun. Crafting at least has Blair fighting for it. and trying to make it better. Gathering must have killed one of Blair's Kittens because he just does not wish to see how poorly made socksty it is from the start and three years later will not make it better. 

People want to feel useful and viable in their chosen profession. If that choice is not viable they might hem and haw and stay around for a bit, but they will leave at the drop of a hat. And Interdependence becomes dependence, and those needs are not met. 

Thus kablooie, thus the ashes of a dead game. 

I wonder if the skill tree rework 1-5 instead of 0-100 will include skill and skill position rework. 

No, you're not suppose to have extra pieces once the armor is assembled.

3 hours ago, durenthal said:

I dislike that you answer the most dumbed down version of each question.

It seems like the people posting questions in the P2W Forum need to better word their questions, and that people need to expect a lot less from these generalized Q&A videos. These 10 to 15 min snippets are as much for people who check up on the game once a month as they are for people who post on the forum every day. They're not going to spend half an hour detailing one aspect of the game they haven't fully fleshed out yet, or reiterating that they don't see a problem with some aspect of their design testers currently whine about for their own reasons.

What's the policy for asking for a name change for those who made their accounts before there was a "crow" feature @Pann?

Edited by mrmoneda

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

2 minutes ago, mrmoneda said:

It seems like the people posting questions in the P2W Forum need to better word their questions, and that people need to expect a lot less from these generalized Q&A videos. These 10 to 15 min snippets are as much for people who check up on the game once a month as they are for people who post on the forum every day. They're not going to spend half an hour detailing one aspect of the game they haven't fully fleshed out yet, or reiterating that they don't see a problem with some aspect of their design testers currently whine about for their own reasons.

What's the policy for asking for a name change for those who made their accounts before there was a "crow" feature @Pann?

Email support with like 3 suggested names (in case one is taken)

My question appeared here, but it was kinda gutted.

Serious and maybe dumb question. Once "soft launch" comes around and they remove things like the coordinate tracker (assuming they do), with group sizes only being 5 people and not being able to select where you want to spawn; how do the developers expect us to find our guild mates / group mates? I imagine this will be an infuriating process, not being able to find your allies quickly, it kinda already is, especially if your group of friends is full. 

The quick and easy solution would be for them to allow us to pick our initial spawn point when we start a fresh campaign, another would be to increase group size or keep the coordinates so we can find each other faster.

Yeah the harvesting question did not address the issue.

Its not that we don't want specialization or to by-pass that.

Its that no one wants to hit one one kind of rock for 2 months and then hit on another type of rock for another 2 months and finally be able to hit on all the rocks in a year+.

It wasn't intended to make the harvesting uniquely easy to train, the time gating is extreme for everything. 

And even if you gave a person 5 trains at 5X faster then they are now, they would still need 10 other friends, so preventing the man-is-his-own-island analogy is way off the mark here. Its like "how do we pen in these sheep?" "Lets make a 500 foot tall wall, that would do it." Well yeah it would, but so would a 5 foot wall. 

Lets not pretend that your man-is-his-own-island analogy is already able to be bypassed with alt accounts.

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

The option to "turn off" the nameplates is not what the question/suggestion was about at all. It was about not having GIANT RED NAMEPLATES AND HP BARS so you can actually hide in the environment. Nobody is going to turn them off if they give a competitive advantage. 

Without nameplates you can hide in tall grass. With nameplates you can't even hide around the corner of a building without a giant red nameplate sticking out the side. 

The "gnashing of teeth" over the lost nameplates during testing is understandable when there's no targeting HUD. The suggestion was to get rid of nameplates in favor of an improved targeting HUD and group indicators (I gave Darkfall as an example). 

I also wondered whether the removal of nameplates would help with performance since during hunger dome level of detail would remove the nameplates. 

The clutter nameplates present in larger fights was but a very small piece of the question. That's the only thing turning them off might solve. 

Here's another example: 

Edited by blazzen
video start at 3:24

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

4 hours ago, durenthal said:

I dislike that you answer the most dumbed down version of each question.

For the harvesting skills question, it's clear that the problem is that it takes longer to train harvesting than either crafting or combat, and that it's going to be a real custard problem at release when it takes 9 months to get 4 pips in say copper ore, while still having only 1 or 2 in all the other nodes.  700+ days to master Ore harvesting.  Whacking on a gold node is not substantively different than whacking on a copper node.  Why do they require different skill lines with no overlap?

I aggre on the matter! As it is now, is a big limitation for the whole game design (deep and heavy cost crafting, too demanding to what harvesting can provide).

But i believe the Skill system revamp will solve it - IT MUST!

Hold on guys ;)

I believe the rumored cap was 2k per CW.

In the crafting debate i speculate the skill re-work may fix (some of) the issues. BTW i believe the changes they mentioned in the QA will make all skills work better overrall, it always bugged me that gaining a few percents in the skill didnt change anything.

Edited by BarriaKarl