Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jah

Ridiculous Castle

10 minutes ago, Ivellian said:

How long did it take you to create this masterpiece of a castle?

Many hours. I spent a lot of the weekend making two different castles, and then last night I took them apart to rebuild the one shown in the video.

Here were the others before I took them apart. The second one resembles the new castle, but was not as walk-able.

AWYYstu.png

1uCvNH7.png

IhhQKY6.gif

I had the opportunity to visit your EK last weekend (thanks for the invitation) and it was a very interesting build. So thumbs up! :)

There is not a lot of people who really can build as much as we can ... and even less who really do have the time or interest to do so. Too bad. So thanks again for doing so and sharing it.

What i especially liked about your build was your creativity about doing things hat most probably are not meant to work this way xD, the general scope and your approach of framing a huge area of the parcel. Standing on top of the towers or from a disrance, this looked really great (awesome).

What i didn't like too much was the experimental stuff. To say: where you enhanced things above a certain grade that might have made sense, up to a point where it was obviously some kind of bug or, uhm, 'unexpected feature'. xD Like the hovering walls you can see at 1:10 in the video. But - that's just a personal preference (personally i simply prefer things that look realistic from every point of view (no hovering walls and such things)). Nevertheless, especially looked at from a distance it just looked awe-inspiring.

Very well done. I am eager to see more. And again - thanks for sharing. :)

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Kraahk. I agree that the hovering walls aren't great. I tried to avoid that where possible, but I was just too tickled by the super-high "bridge" between the separate hills to get rid of it. In the long run I would prefer not to leave unrealistic elements in my structures. I did use other structures to hide these gaps from view as much as I could.

A lot of what I did relied on a bug. I kinda hope that bug isn't completely fixed. It gives a lot more flexibility to design cool castles.

IhhQKY6.gif

2 hours ago, Jah said:

Many hours. I spent a lot of the weekend making two different castles, and then last night I took them apart to rebuild the one shown in the video.

Here were the others before I took them apart. The second one resembles the new castle, but was not as walk-able.

AWYYstu.png

1uCvNH7.png

It was refreshing to see a truly grand castle built from the player perspective.  Thank you for all the hours you put into it.

1 hour ago, Jah said:

Thanks for the feedback Kraahk. I agree that the hovering walls aren't great. I tried to avoid that where possible, but I was just too tickled by the super-high "bridge" between the separate hills to get rid of it. In the long run I would prefer not to leave unrealistic elements in my structures. I did use other structures to hide these gaps from view as much as I could.

A lot of what I did relied on a bug. I kinda hope that bug isn't completely fixed. It gives a lot more flexibility to design cool castles.

I must confess that i didn't try to avoid them. I was just as tickled as you. xD Frankly, i couldn't make as much as i wanted (or i didn't have the patience to do so xD ). However, even if i did so, i always was extremely disappointed if something didn't look solid.  No matter how long it took me to place this part, i deleted it. I just couldn't stand it.

What would be really great, would be some kind of 'base parts' you could place below those 'hovering wall parts' to make it all look perfect. Or generally the ability to place things onto others. I made a completely flat field of walls in the mountains and it would have been great to be able to use them as a base for a building or even a small market.

But - thats just a thing that would be interesting for builders and EK scupltors. It's not really interesting for the campaigns, and so not really important for the game. Well, to bad.

I love some bugs, too.

However, the only thing am sure of is: we will always have pre-alpha 4.9.1. At least to talk about. xD

2W1ZHpA.jpg

I was also fortunate to receive an invite (thanks a mill @Jah!) and I must say that I had quite a good time running around on those mountain suicide towers.  It really made for quite the scenic vista, as I plummeted to my death.  @srathor also had a bridge across a valley, and seeing those got me fired up to be able to test sieging in EKs to see just how much you can put the landscape to work for you.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing!

Cool stuff, would like to fight all over this.

and if striving for accuracy for non backers:

this is created using parts from a 'fort' and 'keep' (excluding their central 'lodges' and 'greathalls') - with additonal buildings placed such cottages and villas etc

we have yet to get the larger varieties of small, medium and large 'Castle' pieces - or the more luxurious 'Mountain Citadel' or 'Imperial Palace' building sets

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png