Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Children of the Sun - Official discussion thread

3 minutes ago, durenthal said:

Allowing different races for the existing classes is essentially a cosmetic change.  I really hope that's not the announcement, because it doesn't meet the "huge" and "you will love it" criteria at all.  The expanded disciplines stuff that was brought up pretty casually earlier is a much bigger event, and will have a meaningful impact on gameplay.  Allowing  a rat to be a knight is no big deal, frankly.  Yes, it adds choice. But it's a cosmetic choice.

So my guess is that it's a game system we haven't come up with yet.

Its possible. But why go through the effort if they did not intend for there to be substance to the decision, right? 

The hamsters may have a native burrow ability that they can use across all rogue/fighter base archetypes. Thats potentially entire playstyle change for a archetype. 

May not be a thing, but as an example, that would be amazing. 

1 hour ago, Vectious said:

Alright updating my prediction because of those icons.

Are we all ready? Here it is. 

You now pick your race, then from there you pick a class fighter, mage, rogue, cleric?. Restricted by your race. 

Then you pick your promotion classes, restricted by your race/class. These are the old Archetypes. 

Each race has certain race specific powers, each class has class specific powers and then each promotion class (which use to be archetypes) have their own specific powers.

Then discipline runes. Basicly a lot like shadowbane.

So Minotaur>Fighter>Champion

Elf-Thing>Rogue>Duelist

Elken>Fighter>Templar

I know these two posts are kinda' repetitive, but that's how exciting the possibility is to me.

I'll have an excuse to drink regardless. Massive hype or crushing disappointment, having gotten my hopes up.

Thanks Vectious?

10 minutes ago, durenthal said:

Allowing different races for the existing classes is essentially a cosmetic change.  I really hope that's not the announcement, because it doesn't meet the "huge" and "you will love it" criteria at all.  The expanded disciplines stuff that was brought up pretty casually earlier is a much bigger event, and will have a meaningful impact on gameplay.  Allowing  a rat to be a knight is no big deal, frankly.  Yes, it adds choice. But it's a cosmetic choice.

I dont know man, everytime i check this picture

jamesgoblinlikesthis-1024x118.png

i cant help but believe this news will be game changing. It seems bigger than a guinecean with a shield.

50 minutes ago, Soulreaver said:

I'll be the sceptic then...

They are just rolling out minor changes and keeping us interested with old concept art that has absolutely nothing to do with the changes comming :)

You sir, are downright mean.

39 minutes ago, moneda said:

After a second glance the only thing I noticed were that the elf didn't have a Confessor book on him (fire spells gained by discipline?).

The shoulder armor of the male elf practicing fire magic is also very similar to the female elf wielding daggers yesterday. 

So one line of thought is that these are both Frostweavers wearing Frostweaver armor who happened to cross train into 1) duel wield daggers through weapon disciplines (and possibly another rune for ambidexterious), and 2) fire magic through a major discipline. 

The other line of thought is that these are Elfs wearing Elf racial armor that picked to be either an Assassin or a Confessor class, which would imply the entire character creation system has been upended.

Considering the amount of artwork done for humans (Confessor armor, Ranger armor, etc) I find it hard to believe they will scrap all of that to make a singular Human racial armor.  I'm thinking (today at least) that the armor is still tied to what we know as Archetypes, and there will just be so much more freedom of skills and weapons through the disciplines.

https://crowfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/hottiemchotster.jpg

https://crowfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ka-chow.jpg

Edited by ren

6 minutes ago, pang said:

Yep, they took stuff from Promotions to give to Disciplines.

Which fuels my theory that this reveal will be about the revamped Promotion system which will basically be a dual/sub class system. You pick a main class, then a sub class. So for example the art in todays update could be a Frostweaver with Confessor subclass. A Stalker with Templar subclass to use the first art teaser as an example as well.

Whatever they do I hope they don't give people too much build freedom, that just ruins the concept of meaningful choice.  People should have defined classes, some versatility might be ok, but not too much.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

2 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

It seems bigger than a guinecean with a shield.

This is where I get hanged up, because with the discipline system as described weeks ago, we could get a Guinecean with a shield. None of the art we've seen this week with "interesting" weapon choices points to a new thing for me, and the rationalizing of "well they could do it now if they wanted" just makes me think "maybe, but do they want to?" Which of the decision makers would push for this? Why would the other(s) capitulate?

2 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Whatever they do I hope they don't give people too much build freedom, that just ruins the concept of meaningful choice.  People should have defined classes, some versatility might be ok, but not too much.

Well they've already talked about disciplines bringing in powers from other classes.  I don't quite agree with Pang's suggestion, but his suggestion is less freedom than you had in Shadwobane by quite a margin.  Shadowbane had massive class building options, and your choices were very meaningful. 

6 minutes ago, Vectious said:

Its possible. But why go through the effort if they did not intend for there to be substance to the decision, right? 

The hamsters may have a native burrow ability that they can use across all rogue/fighter base archetypes. Thats potentially entire playstyle change for a archetype. 

May not be a thing, but as an example, that would be amazing. 

Shades in Shadowbane had the ability for a natural hide/invis, but it was only 20 points out of a 40 point system.  Classes that had access to training hide/invis go the full 40 point version.  So we could see something similar with the Guinacean's and their burrow.  I have always liked racial abilities that matter, because from the very beginning a "class" can be so different just based on race.

22 minutes ago, ren said:

So one line of thought is that these are both Frostweavers wearing Frostweaver armor who happened to cross train into 1) duel wield daggers through weapon disciplines (and possibly another rune for ambidexterious), and 2) fire magic through major disciplines. 

The other line of thought is that these are Elfs wearing Elf racial armor that picked to be either an Assassin or a Confessor class, which would imply the entire character creation system has been upended.

That guy doesnt look like a frostweaver who learned how to use fire using disciplines. That guy looks like a badass master fire bender!

If you can get to that lvl equiping a few disciples runes then disciplines brings to light a whole new world!

EDIT:

And he is red! That shouldnt be possible. He seems another being totally incomparable with a frostweaver.

Edited by BarriaKarl

9 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

I disagree.

22 minutes ago, durenthal said:

Not everybody sees race-choice as cosmetic only. To some of us, it matters a great deal.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

16 minutes ago, KohrAh said:

Well they've already talked about disciplines bringing in powers from other classes.  I don't quite agree with Pang's suggestion, but his suggestion is less freedom than you had in Shadwobane by quite a margin.  Shadowbane had massive class building options, and your choices were very meaningful. 

Yeah admittedly my theory of subclassing does step on the toes of the Discipline system a bit. But I can see the Discipline runes being more for minor class changes and additions while Subclassing would be for major changes and overhauls to the base.

Either way, I think its pretty clear the reveal is about AT character building and customization in some regard, whether its a revamped system that we knew about or a whole new system we haven't.

Edited by pang

I don't think they're disconnecting race and archetypes, the currently defined discipline system accounts for almost everything we've seen so far.

The first picture of the Elken is wielding the Templar greatsword, the 1st Frostweaver pic has scepter or mace (their older art shows some sort of scythe/glaive), the Forgemaster Pic has a shield and what looks like a Polearm like hammer instead of the single giant two handed hammer we've seen so far maybe the Legionnaire's weapons, the 2nd Frostweaver picture has twin daggers that may imply Ranger or Assassin weapons (I think the latter), the Guinecean has the Knight's sword and shield, and finally the Elf with fire could be a Frostweaver with Confessor abilities or a Major Discipline. Finally the new row of icons all seem to indicate the weapon of the archetypes, not the archetype themselves (slight exception of the helmet for Champion?).

Disciplines as they were described a few weeks back cover almost all the above cases, most are covered by the Weapon Disciplines. The latest fire Elf seems a bit out of place, but that could be covered by the Confessor weapon and maybe Major Disciplines.

So if almost everything they've shown can be explained away with the already planned disciplines what's left of the reveal so far?

I think the answer is in the three scenic shots and the stylized weapon art, figure out why those are relevant and I think that'll explain what the real big reveal is.

I think it's tied to something to do with disciplines, but I think it has more to do with how they affect look then with directly changing how archetypes/disciplines/characters work.

Edit: Leaving my initial thoughts just in case, but the more I look at it the more I'm starting to think the race/archetype decoupling is coming as a side effect of discipline tech; albeit almost entirely because of the Discipline art mock up combined with the new 'weapon class' icons. That still doesn't explain the couple random screenshots, but maybe they're not really related?

Edited by Duffy

Layered character building with active and passive skills broken up between race-class-weapon.

Race = Guinecean burrow, Centaur rear kick, + racial passive as well like movement speed for centaur

Class = confessor fire tornadoes, R click druid teleport, knight shout shield, + class passives like low health healing for champion

Weapon = shield charge, 2h axe bleed, pistol stun, bow rapid fire

UI widgets would appear if your weapon or class has them, so a minoutar using a pistol could have two UI widgets.

They would have to assign which skills go to race, class or weapon but other than that it shouldnt be too hard. And if they dont have all the animations they can just limit the combos.

Something like this would be so amazing.