stubs01

Maps + Map Item Slot

Do you agree with post?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with post?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sort of/Not exactly (explain)

Why would cartographers share their discoveries though? Surely in a game like this that's focused on territorial control, if you discover something then you'd want to keep it to your guild and yourself.

For profit. 

Well, they are likely just one person. They probably don't have the means to exploit all those features that they have found. Instead they sell the maps to other guilds / groups. Money for scouts is in exploration (which they enjoy doing anyway), and the other players get to benefit from their efforts by knowing the lay of the land.

You could also get some scouts who have a higher skill being able to add detail. Now imagine that they sold that map as an exclusive to just one guild? It would fetch a real premium.

Knowledge is power!

(Study hard, be evil)

If there are a group of players that want to start up a Cartography business in their EK and having their characters (which you can have more than 3) spread across the most popular campaign worlds, let them!  I think it would be just as viable as a chef, armorsmith, weaponsmith, etc... which is a craft (not an archetype).

Sure, but the other things you mentioned are useful all the time. Cartography is going to be a lot less useful once people have explored and/or you've sold a few maps (to people who'll share them with guildmates, resell them, who knows what else) - realistically, that won't take long in campaign where there's serious competition. What do your characters do for the remainder of the campaigns they're locked into?

Encouraging people to flood the game with cartographer alts that they stop playing as soon as people are familiar with each world seems kind of unfun. Not to mention it'll make it harder to balance the world populations, etc.

Other scouting duties, like shadowing enemy groups, tracking their economic assets, etc.

Besides which, thanks to the nature of the campaigns in this and their continual resetting there hasn't been a better opportunity for cartographers to really flourish.

As long as I can write my map locations in code I could support this. 

Are we going to have to craft and carry around a compass?  Will there be a grid system? 

Edited by Belaz

Haha I can see it now. An enemy guild scout get killed by a guildie. That guildie now has the location of several enemy and friendly bases.

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

Other scouting duties, like shadowing enemy groups, tracking their economic assets, etc.

You mean, tying all this stuff to some part of a skill tree along with mapping? I guess that would make more sense.

I was just saying that mapping alone seems like it'd be pretty limited in usefulness with campaings sometimes lasting 3+ months. Even if you had a system where only the original map-maker could make copy-able maps, those skill points would be pretty much dormant after each campaign's early exploration frenzy (although it'd be nice for map-makers to be able to keep making money off their early-campaign work). Compare that with skill points put into combat and crafting skills that you can use all the time if you want to...

You mean, tying all this stuff to some part of a skill tree along with mapping? I guess that would make more sense.

I was just saying that mapping alone seems like it'd be pretty limited in usefulness with campaings sometimes lasting 3+ months. Even if you had a system where only the original map-maker could make copy-able maps, those skill points would be pretty much dormant after each campaign's early exploration frenzy (although it'd be nice for map-makers to be able to keep making money off their early-campaign work). Compare that with skill points put into combat and crafting skills that you can use all the time if you want to...

Although, new players joining the campaign would need a map... and if given the ability to write on maps... guilds/alliances could add strategic/tactical locations, arrows, circles, text, etc... on the map before it goes to the press and distributed. That all holds value through the entire length of the campaign, especially when supply routes change... terrain ownership... destroyed walls... etc...

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

So in Shadowbane the "map" was kind of how you kept score. In a political world, who owns what  resource and how big are their city's are the some of the most important questions. The "political map" will be the most important metric on most of the campaign worlds. A living scoreboard if you will. Something to consider.

12884526.jpg

Edited by skookum

Crowfall: The Official Game of

crowfallwiki.com

One of the major features they have talked about is the use of Fog of War. At the start of a campaign this would be absolutely awesome and introduce new ways to get in conflict with opposing players. I'm all for bare minimum mapping, but having something you can trade/sell/explore is the best option imo.

^ And that map in the post above is definitely a good idea. At least for people just joining up, where they can easily navigate outposts once they explore the area in the map, where big landmarks are like beacons of sight similar to buildings in say Age of Empires.

Edited by lucky545

Genghiskron, Leader of Blue Dream Mercenaries
Interested in joining a friendly, small, casual multigaming community? Click the link above! ^

Twitch Streaming

Areas built up beyond a certain level could automatically appear, but otherwise they should be hidden until discovered. Different rulesets could have different rules for this though.

P.S - I loved the SB maps!

Edited by M0rdred

What about maps of castles and such?

If my guild is sieging a castle, you bet your ass I want to have a map of the interior, so having someone infiltrate the castle and mapping it would be very important.

I'm copying in my comments from related threads to help centralize this discussion:

This kind of thing will almost certainly happen every time a new world opens up anyway so it would be a good candidate to build into the rule systems instead of just leaving to to passing around screenshots.

I would hope that this is one of the Disciplines or even Promotions available for any somewhat stealthy class. Aside from the obvious clearing of the initial "fog" it will be useful to update & share opponent activities throughout the course of the seasons.

I was already planning on having at least one character who would specialize in scouting because the Embargo locations are so incredibly strategically valuable. Discover it, pass info to allies to rally fast response reinforcements and slow response fortifications. Establish a base at or near the Embargo location as early as possible and then my scout can keep an eye on enemy movements to help prepare for any attack. 

If I was involved in a larger guild I would establish bounties on various phases of gaining control of Embargo locations:

- First scout to report location to guild gets X1 units loot.

- First semi-safe fast route between spawn location and Embargo location gets X2 units loot

- First significant reinforcements to protect location gets X3 units loot, +X4 units if successfully protect against attack until fortification

- Fortification team gets X5 units loot for each Y level of fortification performed, +X6 if performed under attack

CopperStall

I'm copying in my comments from related threads to help centralize this discussion:

Whether it's done with in-game mechanics or out-of-game screenshots on shared websites will make very little difference to a large guild. The main guilds that will benefit from this is the smaller guilds that may not have the personnel to merge the screenshots and track their influx of info. 

If anything zerg guilds would suffer most from auto-shared maps because if the map can be captured then enemies will get huge intel dumps for minimal effort. A zerg guild, by definition, will have lots of risky scouts on the fringes so they are pretty much guaranteed to lose some so any information advantage their glut of numbers gives them is quickly diluted as their enemies capture that info. Smaller guilds, however, are less likely to risk their scouts so freely and will thus lose info less often.

That said, there are 2 aspects to this map sharing that need to be recognized:

1) Scout to Guild info travel. Scout's mapping feeds info to the guild.

2) Guild to member info travel. Guild's world map feeds info to guild member(s)

Type 1 is the primary one discussed here but type 2 has different benefits and problems.

Scout to Guild:

This will be most active with raw data throughput during the initial 'lifting the fog' phase of each world. It will still be useful later for updating troop movements, resource nodes, and fortifications. In-game there should be something to justify the info flow; perhaps items? A 'sender' blank map that passes info back to a master 'receiver' map to be combined with what is already on that map. High quality senders & receivers could possibly even send/receive with more than one opposite type at a time? Perhaps your outpost has a receiver that can combine info from 4 senders at a time so you send out 4 scouts with simple senders that can only link to 1 at a time all linked to your outpost. 3 scout for resources, 1 patrols for enemy activity.

Guild to Member:

This will be active throughout the seasons by keeping key members up-to-date with the latest map info. It could be a strike force positioned to receive attack orders from the central guild map and thus the most up-to-date info to help them succeed. It could be a scout trying to find out whether another scout was killed by a wandering group or a patrol from a major encampment by carefully following their trail to the area. It could even just be a bunch of scouts getting updates on what each other have explored so they don't double-up on their exploration.

Everything mentioned above is useful to every guild but the 'zerg' guilds will make this happen with out-of-game resources anyways so their slight saving in resources is easily offset by the large savings for the smaller guilds who would suffer without this built-in mechanic.

CopperStall

Whether it's done with in-game mechanics or out-of-game screenshots on shared websites will make very little difference to a large guild. The main guilds that will benefit from this is the smaller guilds that may not have the personnel to merge the screenshots and track their influx of info. 

If anything zerg guilds would suffer most from auto-shared maps because if the map can be captured then enemies will get huge intel dumps for minimal effort. A zerg guild, by definition, will have lots of risky scouts on the fringes so they are pretty much guaranteed to lose some so any information advantage their glut of numbers gives them is quickly diluted as their enemies capture that info. Smaller guilds, however, are less likely to risk their scouts so freely and will thus lose info less often.

That said, there are 2 aspects to this map sharing that need to be recognized:

1) Scout to Guild info travel. Scout's mapping feeds info to the guild.

2) Guild to member info travel. Guild's world map feeds info to guild member(s)

Type 1 is the primary one discussed here but type 2 has different benefits and problems.

Scout to Guild:

This will be most active with raw data throughput during the initial 'lifting the fog' phase of each world. It will still be useful later for updating troop movements, resource nodes, and fortifications. In-game there should be something to justify the info flow; perhaps items? A 'sender' blank map that passes info back to a master 'receiver' map to be combined with what is already on that map. High quality senders & receivers could possibly even send/receive with more than one opposite type at a time? Perhaps your outpost has a receiver that can combine info from 4 senders at a time so you send out 4 scouts with simple senders that can only link to 1 at a time all linked to your outpost. 3 scout for resources, 1 patrols for enemy activity.

Guild to Member:

This will be active throughout the seasons by keeping key members up-to-date with the latest map info. It could be a strike force positioned to receive attack orders from the central guild map and thus the most up-to-date info to help them succeed. It could be a scout trying to find out whether another scout was killed by a wandering group or a patrol from a major encampment by carefully following their trail to the area. It could even just be a bunch of scouts getting updates on what each other have explored so they don't double-up on their exploration.

Everything mentioned above is useful to every guild but the 'zerg' guilds will make this happen with out-of-game resources anyways so their slight saving in resources is easily offset by the large savings for the smaller guilds who would suffer without this built-in mechanic.

CopperStall

I really like the idea of the sender and receiver maps.

If maps do become items, which I am much in favour of, I want the option to place them in the world. I want a big map table in my keep that my advisors and I can stand around and mark, rather than having to make copies for all of them to look at on their own screens, and then make changes to all of them. Not only will it look cool, but it will make strategic meetings easier.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

Cartography can be seen like crafting. Each guild will want a few people with the skill, who can map terrain and features, return to a 'hub' of sorts, upload that information to a master map and then others can copy that terrain information onto their own personal maps. Enemy guilds can send in sneaky types to try and steal the information and bring it back to their hubs. Cartographers can also detect more information about an area, and at longer range and depth, allowing them to scout for resource gatherers. It could be a very useful, multi-faceted skill.