Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ranger/Stalker merge

pang

Personally I was really looking forward to the Stalker as I wasn't really digging the hybrid range/melee thing Ranger had going on.

So just curious what the feeling is for this class now as to whether it'll be a whole new kit or just mostly the same Ranger with Stalker skills whatever they were going to be added in?

I do think they should separate the melee and ranged mechanics so it's up to the player. For example if I want to be a melee primary ranger like Aragorn I can while only occasionally using my bow (instead of having to maintain the balance), or if I want to be a range primary like Legolas I have that option.

Edited by baerin

1 hour ago, baerin said:

I do think they should separate the melee and ranged mechanics so it's up to the player. For example if I want to be a melee primary ranger like Aragorn I can while only occasionally using my bow (instead of having to maintain the balance), or if I want to be a range primary like Legolas I have that option.

They said promotions would be where you decide where to focus on. Either go to the melee promo, ranged promo or the balanced promo. I think you would still need to swap trays but you would do so occasionally.

Don't think the ranger as is really "makes" you have to just melee/range.  There are skills in the kit that if you choose to can help you if someone does get in melee range to do damage or disengage.  Honestly though you can sit in ranged stance the entire time if you really wanted to.

Lf6MJUL.png

Legend  "Heroes come and go, Legends are eternal."

2 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

They said promotions would be where you decide where to focus on. Either go to the melee promo, ranged promo or the balanced promo. I think you would still need to swap trays but you would do so occasionally.

You're not wrong, but I believe promotions are in an ambiguous place right now, so we'll see.

3 hours ago, baerin said:

You're not wrong, but I believe promotions are in an ambiguous place right now, so we'll see.

The proof is in the pudding as they say; and the pudding I see is that they stopped developing promotions, and  have actually take away some promotions from ATs.  The new discipline system is allowing us to have 2 promotions essentially, so I don't see the promotion system in the works from here on out.

As for the stalker/ranger merge; I sure hope they allow for a melee only ranger build, because 3 of my current wants are for 3 different types of melee ranger builds.  I have no desire to touch ranged if it involves a bow.

lUvvzPy.png

Yeah the melee/range thing wasn't my main concern. Was more talking about the abilities and base kit if it'll change from the original Ranger and by how much. It was said a few times that Stalker would be more a longer range sniper than the Ranger so curious if or how that will be incorporated into the Ranger now as well.

Anyways I put in a few questions about this in the Live Q&A thread hopefully they talk about the new Ranger.

I'm really looking forward to them scrapping the base toolkit for Ranger. I found it particularly bland and uninspiring.

Really excited to see how they integrate stealth with this archetype. Even if its just hide.

My biggest worry is that the Elken or Minotaur Rangers won't come with the "javelin arrows" that Stalker was hyped with. My hope is that the Elken and Minotaur will at least have bigger but slower firing LMB arrows. Also, I really hate the stake power and the way it ties the class down. Personally I'd like to see it get disciplined.

Edited by eeree

Well according to the live Q&A sounds like as far as the abilities go it'll be a true merger ie taking the strongest ones from Ranger and Stalker and making a new base kit from that. No word on other class mechanics though, least not what I heard or been able to see from the recaps of it.

• “Legionnaire” has been changed to “Cleric” because it is no longer uniquely related to the Centaur culture. It also means this class will have a rework coming (which, frankly, was already overdue).
  • “Stalker” and “Ranger” have been merged into a single class, which will also require some rework, and many of the stealth/anti-stealth features will be moved into Major Disciplines (see below).

[...]

Does this mean that you guys cut some functionality?

Not necessarily – all of the things that we planned for the shuffled archetypes will still be supported; they are just being moved around to either other Classes or Disciplines.

This means that you can still make an “Elken Stalker”, but you’ll need to build it (and customize it) by selecting the appropriate Race and Class and acquiring the proper Disciplines runestones. 

That's from the massive reveal page. Sounds like after the Lego -> Cleric rework ranger will be getting some love

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 10:20 AM, chancellor said:

We need centaur rangers, even if their stealth is gimped.

My girlfriend played a centaur ranger in one of our D&D groups that she absolutely loved. I was hoping this would eventually be a thing, cuz then I'd be able to sell her on Crowfall a lot easier. >.>

3 hours ago, Telonos said:

My girlfriend played a centaur ranger in one of our D&D groups that she absolutely loved. I was hoping this would eventually be a thing, cuz then I'd be able to sell her on Crowfall a lot easier. >.>

can make a centuar champion that uses a bow ;p

I want to see an ability :

Wisp of the Woods.
The Rangers/Stalker sends out a Wisp which seeks out the nearest enemy.  It will continue to search in the direction of the nearest enemy for X seconds, if it manage to latch onto the target that target will take more damage from future attacks of the ranger/stalker.  When locked to a target, she is shown on the ranger/stalkers radar, and unable to stealth.  Slowed for a short amount of time... (All optional effects ofc)

Drawback : Ranger/Stalker also reveals his location on using this ability.

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

• 4 weeks later...

I was planning on maining as Stalker, and then I was like... where'd his page go? And then I learned about the race/class rework. Funny that I missed that entirely til now...
I was however looking forward to a ranged style bow oriented play with a different kit, that I suppose is solved by disciplines though. I can now make my stalker build and keep the stealth mode deer hunts man trope when I roll the character.

“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”

― Plutarch

So just heard on todays Live Q&A, stated again Stalker skills getting folded into the Ranger. Anti-Stealth mechanics confirmed to be a part of that. Also Elkin get a racial for increased range ie Sniper based ranged gameplay.

Edited by pang