Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

Ask The Team!

Hey all, 

As mentioned in Gordon's post, we've unveiled the core team working on Crowfall! We have a vast amount of talent and experience at hand and if you have a personal question for one of us, whether it be about life, hobbies or games past and present, ask them here!

Note: For obvious reasons, we might not be able to answer all of them. Especially ones regarding elements of Crowfall which we haven't disclosed... Some things just aren't ready to be discussed yet! 

Also note that we'll be keeping this thread on-topic. All off-topic remarks will be removed! Sorry, we love YouTube links as much as the next person but lets keep the discussion focused! 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

As a huge fan of the many things that could be done in sandbox games (such as SWG), I'm most curious to learn what sorts of sandbox activities and elements your team is planning for Crowfall, and how they will feed into the meta-game.  Is there anything more you can share right now that's in development?

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Cataclysm. Please tell me you guys plan to make it a big deal. Destroying a world should be a chance to go nuts and do things you could never do on a traditional persistent world. I want fire to rain from the sky. Cracks in the earth. Gods to walk among us. Anything but a countdown on top of my UI slowlyticking down till server reset...

Crowfall: The Official Game of

crowfallwiki.com

Can you each give us a 2-3 vague word hint at your personal favourite thing/thing you are most excited about, that has yet to be officially anounced?

How important is it for you, the developers that you can pull this off, to make this game a reality and build a world that people feel truly a part of and engaged with?

Edited by PotatoMcWhiskey

Coming from pre-cu SWG, will there be anything similar to entertainer professions in Crowfall? Any plans for other out-of-combat buffing or healing systems?

Will there be a /tip function? (A way to easily transfer in-game currency without having to open trade window)

I'm usually a lurker on forums, but I'll go ahead and take a crack at answering a few questions.  Unfortunately I can't give answers to many of the questions that have been asked.  Don't think it's because I don't want to answer - I really do.  We're all very excited about Crowfall and want to share it with everyone, but some things need to remain a secret for the time being.  What I will say is that many of you will get the answers you're asking for when the full vision is revealed.  Stay tuned!  I think you'll love the vision as much as we do!

For what I can answer right now:

Also, if all of you could take a moment to list your favorite food, that'd be nice. You can tell so much about a person by their ideal meal. 

Tough question... what day is it? :)   Overall, my favorite cuisine is the broad category of "Asian food".  I love sushi, Korean BBQ, and most Chinese dishes, but my favorite is Kung Pao Chicken (spellings vary, but that's the basic dish).  Being a native Texan, I also love anything BBQ or Mexican!  Blend them together and it's even better!

Can you each give us a 2-3 vague word hint at your personal favourite thing/thing you are most excited about, that has yet to be officially anounced?

How important is it for you, the developers that you can pull this off, to make this game a reality and build a world that people feel truly a part of and engaged with?

What am I most excited about?  For me, it's a tie between two things: the Eternal Kingdoms and the Physics.  I've always been a sucker for player housing in MMOs. And with the Physics, I think it's going to make you think outside the box a little more than the traditional MMO does.  I can't wait to see what some of you guys do with it!

Oh, sorry, I went over my 2-3 word limit.

I can't speak for everyone here, but for me personally, making this game a reality is very important and I believe we have a great opportunity to bring the community into the process like never before.  Because of the "reset" based campaigns, we get the opportunity to try out new things, and not just things that we the developers come up with.  You the community will be part of the design process, and that is important to me, and should be important to you.  Who wouldn't want to see their suggestions put into the game and enjoyed by others?  With your help, we're going to make Crowfall not only the game that we want to play, but also the game that YOU want to play.

I'm usually a lurker on forums, but I'll go ahead and take a crack at answering a few questions.  Unfortunately I can't give answers to many of the questions that have been asked.  Don't think it's because I don't want to answer - I really do.  We're all very excited about Crowfall and want to share it with everyone, but some things need to remain a secret for the time being.  What I will say is that many of you will get the answers you're asking for when the full vision is revealed.  Stay tuned!  I think you'll love the vision as much as we do!

For what I can answer right now:

Tough question... what day is it? :)   Overall, my favorite cuisine is the broad category of "Asian food".  I love sushi, Korean BBQ, and most Chinese dishes, but my favorite is Kung Pao Chicken (spellings vary, but that's the basic dish).  Being a native Texan, I also love anything BBQ or Mexican!  Blend them together and it's even better!

What am I most excited about?  For me, it's a tie between two things: the Eternal Kingdoms and the Physics.  I've always been a sucker for player housing in MMOs. And with the Physics, I think it's going to make you think outside the box a little more than the traditional MMO does.  I can't wait to see what some of you guys do with it!

Oh, sorry, I went over my 2-3 word limit.

I can't speak for everyone here, but for me personally, making this game a reality is very important and I believe we have a great opportunity to bring the community into the process like never before.  Because of the "reset" based campaigns, we get the opportunity to try out new things, and not just things that we the developers come up with.  You the community will be part of the design process, and that is important to me, and should be important to you.  Who wouldn't want to see their suggestions put into the game and enjoyed by others?  With your help, we're going to make Crowfall not only the game that we want to play, but also the game that YOU want to play.

Very well said. I am very excited to see how Physics is going to play into strategy in the game.

I think my vague hint is :  Player bonds

What's important to me is that we make a must-play experience for the discerning gamer, an experience that once played becomes impactful to our players life history.  When I think of some of my early MMO experiences, it was the most intense and impactful gameplay (and social play) I had ever experienced, and my goal is to build a product/service with that intensity of experience and bring it to as many people who can stand it as possible.  I don't think most people want that level of intensity in their play, but for those that do, there is nothing else that compares.

And if we can do that, maybe, just maybe we nudge the MMO medium forward some, and encourage other teams to try something else which seems crazy, but might just be more fun than we can imagine.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

I'm curious on a few things, nothing too major.

What inspired you guys to work on video games?

What games do you like to play when you aren't working on this one?

Sweet or savory?

And the most important question, will there be Unicorns? I mean this IS a medieval game...

7lXqKFL.gif

What's important to me is that we make a must-play experience for the discerning gamer, an experience that once played becomes impactful to our players life history.  When I think of some of my early MMO experiences, it was the most intense and impactful gameplay (and social play) I had ever experienced, and my goal is to build a product/service with that intensity of experience and bring it to as many people who can stand it as possible.  I don't think most people want that level of intensity in their play, but for those that do, there is nothing else that compares.

And if we can do that, maybe, just maybe we nudge the MMO medium forward some, and encourage other teams to try something else which seems crazy, but might just be more fun than we can imagine.

So basically Gordon, you want to do what the rest of the industry SHOULD have been doing for the past decade. About damn time I say.

I'm curious on a few things, nothing too major.

What inspired you guys to work on video games?

What games do you like to play when you aren't working on this one?

Sweet or savory?

And the most important question, will there be Unicorns? I mean this IS a medieval game...

I didn't want a "real" programming job where you had to document your code, and I wanted to code things I cared about.  But that was in 1977, what did I know?

Crack dealer, not crack addict.  (in all seriousness though, I like lots of game types but rarely have the focused time for playing other than for market research, if I had more free time, I'd certainly play more MMO's, strategy games and action RPGs though)

Depends on what sweet or savory is served with. 

Unicorns?  Really?  They'd look pitiful when the hunger got to them.  How about some Llama's instead?

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

I didn't want a "real" programming job where you had to document your code, and I wanted to code things I cared about.  But that was in 1977, what did I know?

Crack dealer, not crack addict.  (in all seriousness though, I like lots of game types but rarely have the focused time for playing other than for market research, if I had more free time, I'd certainly play more MMO's, strategy games and action RPGs though)

Unicorns?  Really?  They'd look pitiful when the hunger got to them.  How about some Llama's instead?

Is there a llama archetype?  I'm serious.

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

I mean, Llama's are okay, but Unicorns have horns. Plus, they're magic. Just you wait, I'll draw a totally badass Unicorn that got caught in the Hunger, then you'll see xD

7lXqKFL.gif

What is the largest technical obstacle in the making of a game like this?

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I still don't know the entire vision of the game, and even when I do it'll be hard to know if Crowfall will be the ideal MMO, but I can certainly commend you all for your efforts in trying something different and harder than sticking to the status quo. The MMO genre of gaming is so dull and static it's depressing. It needs a new breath of fresh air (that isn't well-intended but lackluster small indie attempts), and this looks to be it. 

As for the hint, player bonds? As in, loaning money or items to players? Hmm. That could be interesting. 

Tough question... what day is it?  :)   Overall, my favorite cuisine is the broad category of "Asian food".  I love sushi, Korean BBQ, and most Chinese dishes, but my favorite is Kung Pao Chicken (spellings vary, but that's the basic dish).  Being a native Texan, I also love anything BBQ or Mexican!  Blend them together and it's even better!

Good answer. Follow up, being Texan, I assume you're into spicy food too?

Edited by unknownxv

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche