Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How will Crowfall create this same sense of community and bring people closer together than facilitating a place for people to "hide away" in instances?

Strange that you think this, as we literally don't have any instances in our game, and our design focus is on the interdependence that drives strong community ties.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vague hint: "I <3 D'Orion"    now, to your real question:   I am ALL IN on Crowfall.  I've invested a big chunk of my savings.  I left my cushy job.  I gave up my safe little nest, and took a

Gordon pointed me at this question, so I figured I'd pop in and try to give an answer!   The hard part about designing a game to have a real economy is that it permeates everything about the game. I

Worldwide access to ACE servers for all early backers is confirmed (again!).  Alpha/Beta access is available to those with the proper entitlements (everyone with a login and who is on these forums has

Strange that you think this, as we literally don't have any instances in our game, and our design focus is on the interdependence that drives strong community ties.

This might be one of the best answers in this thread so far.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

USA/Canada/UK/Ireland/Australia/New Zealand are the primary English territories.

Having worked on multiple titles that were shipped internationally, my number one concern is great, localized customer service.  Only territories with enough critical mass typically get localization of the game and of the service (typically this means 20k+ ongoing players for a title like ours, many more a title that heavy on text and/or voiceover).  As you note there are countries in Europe that end up playing in English because there is not enough critical mass of players to fund the localization and localized services.

If we sign up with a partner in Europe, typically that relationship encompasses the entire region.  As we've noted before, if we can do Europe directly, we will, but that will be dependent both on the demonstrated European demand and on our funding situation.  The rights to Europe for a game like Crowfall could materially contribute to the overall development budget, if we end up needing that.

If you've experienced companies you think serve MMO customers well in Europe from a players point of view, I'd love to hear about them.  No need for the horror stories about the bad ones please.

If you can handle Europe by yourselves that would be awesome, there's really not much need for localization when everyone here speaks English anyway(I think Dutch and Swedish students even perform better in written English than the average student in the USA, but I could be wrong). But then again if you have need for a partner to contribute to your development budget and make things easier for you logistically that is perfectly understandable as well and we'll just have to hope for the best.

Thanks for answering Gordon, I love this developer interaction, you are doing a splendid job!

Officer of The BlackHand Order

I believe the term "personal kingdoms" (Pricing FAQ, Item #2) is driving some of this concern.  I know you guys are not talking about specific game features in this thread, but this is definitely something that needs further explanation in the future.  Thanks.

rSHxVEY.gif

I believe the term "personal kingdoms" (Pricing FAQ, Item #2) is driving some of this concern.  I know you guys are not talking about specific game features in this thread, but this is definitely something that needs further explanation in the future.  Thanks.

I'd assume their thinking is along the lines of: Personal kingdoms are procedurally generated, making each one unique, so they are not instances.

I'd assume their thinking is along the lines of: Personal kingdoms are procedurally generated, making each one unique, so they are not instances.

Probably would have been better if we'd said your personal Eternal Kingdom.  Eternal is kind of the opposite of an instance.

If you've experienced companies you think serve MMO customers well in Europe from a players point of view, I'd love to hear about them.  No need for the horror stories about the bad ones please.

I totally get needing a certain volume of players to do localization. EVE Online only added their French localization in September 2014 (when the game was over 10 years old already), which was added to Russian, Japanese and German localization (and Chinese, but that's a wholy separate world/game). English is fine for many of us in Europe.

Talking about who has served MMO customers in Europe well:

• Blizzard for WoW and their other games (of course, they're the elephant in the room)
  • CCP for EVE Online
  • Funcom for Age of Conan / The Secret World
  • EA / Bioware for Star Wars: The Old Republic
  • Zenimax with The Elder Scrolls Online (note that when I started playing this, the "EU Server" was actually located in the US, I assume it's been moved since) 
  • NCSoft/ArenaNet for Guild Wars 2 (who run a EU server farm in Frankfurt, but have some things, login servers and the auction house, run centrally from the US)
  • Goblinworks run Pathfinder Online from the US (but that one's still in early access mode)
  • I'm reasonably happy with how Turbine is running things (they took over Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online from Codemasters in Europe). Their EU servers (formerly actually in the EU) are now physically located in the US.

In short, I'm not sure there are many MMO operators in Europe who are (succesfully) operating another company's MMO servers, but I might be mistaken. All of the operators I have (recently) played games with are either running their own games (and possibly support) from a EU location, or are just running a global business out of their main location (and hosting the servers at some sensible location on the web, globally). For all of the games I've played, that hasn't been a problem (but most MMO's aren't twitchy fast-reaction games, they're no Call of Duty style shooters).

Outside of MMO's and RPG's, are there any other genres you enjoy or draw inspiration from?

Maybe games like Day Z, H1Z1, Don't Starve? I feel like the survival element would be awesome in a fantasy MMORPG.

Edited by Xxav

Probably would have been better if we'd said your personal Eternal Kingdom.  Eternal is kind of the opposite of an instance.

Persistent (Eternal) doesn't necessarily mean it's not instanced, though. Can you seamlessly walk from one personal kingdom to another?

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

How about you let me pay to help create your game??  :)  :)  :)  ;)  :)  :)  :)  whats it going to take? 150$ 200$ you tell me.

There is no upper limit, of course!  :)   And thanks, we appreciate the vote of support!

Have you settled on how you will be releasing your information about the game when the timer counts down?  Livestream, forums only, or maybe a collection of it all?

Yeah, it'll be a combination of things.  We'll also be jumping into the forums, because no matter how clear we try to write the FAQ answers, people always seem to have questions and disagree on what we meant.   At some point, it's just easier to jump in and answer directly.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

[Rules of Conduct]

Possible livestreams? Great now I have to be "sick" the day of the reveal and stay home from work.

Anyway, if you guys had to choose a favorite character creation rune, which would it be?

b7xcsz.jpg

I'm terribly sorry I did not clarify my statement...   Because Crowfall is not taking this approach, contrast to the current pattern of MMO's, how are you guys going to facilitate community?  I apologize, my statement was much more centered around instances as it is one of my greatest irritations in the genre.  

Edited by Muligan21

We'll also be jumping into the forums, because no matter how clear we try to write the FAQ answers, people always seem to have questions and disagree on what we meant.   

Once upon a time, FAQs were made because people actually kept asking the same questions again and again, and thus compiled the answers, instead of just starting a dialogue with yourself about what might confuse you if you didn't know what was really going on. It's pretty self defeating if you actually expect to explain everything before the fact. :)