Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

Ask The Team!

How open would you be to idea of playerbase's suggested archetypes, if they we're through out and well detailed (and of course containing some form of written statement that you can have the rights to use that said material)?

Depends on how well the idea fist within the game as a whole.  And, of course, on budget.

For example, if someone pitched me an armadillo wearing steam-powered armor, I wouldn't really consider it.  It doesn't matter if the idea is cool (I loved Guntz in SF) or how how well-detailed and thought out the idea is... it doesn't fit, so it wouldn't make the cut.  

Kill the steampunk element?  More likely.  Now it's "can this Universe support another talking animal, without it starting to feel like Narnia?"

Even more likely : if someone came up with a real cool idea for a Fae archetype, that adds interesting texture to universe, I'd absolutely consider it.  if that character could reuse out of an existing animation set (i.e. budget and time comes down dramatically), it starts to look even more appealing.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Depends on how well the idea fist within the game as a whole.  And, of course, on budget.

For example, if someone pitched me an armadillo wearing steam-powered armor, I wouldn't really consider it.  It doesn't matter if the idea is cool (I loved Guntz in SF) or how how well-detailed and thought out the idea is... it doesn't fit, so it wouldn't make the cut.  

Kill the steampunk element?  More likely.  Now it's "can this Universe support another talking animal, without it starting to feel like Narnia?"

Even more likely : if someone came up with a real cool idea for a Fae archetype, that adds interesting texture to universe, I'd absolutely consider it.  if that character could reuse out of an existing animation set (i.e. budget and time comes down dramatically), it starts to look even more appealing.

Todd

ACE

You heard it here folks, Todd is anti-Narnia.

Can I get my question about a quantity of archetypes answered por favor?

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

For the concept artists - How many iterations does it take to craft the images used for the various archtypes? Are some easier to place than others? Which (of the released ones so far) have been the hardest to work on?

And since the 3D models are closely related to the concept art, does that make it easier to create the models or harder? I assume there are challenges either way.

Thank you! :)

Thanks for the question! It varies slightly depending on the complexity of the character, but I tend to blast through the process pretty fast. Todd and I will discuss the vision of a character and we will bounce some ideas back and forth. From there I will try to get some black and white digital sketches down so I can rip into the final. I tend to work very fast.. so we can usually get a finished piece to review within a day or two.

I always paint knowing that this will go into a hand of a modeler. After being in the industry for awhile, you get used to that sort of process. I generally know what shapes will work better than others, and what parts of the model could be a nightmare (clipping, rigging, etc). I will work closely with the modeler if I can as well, to make sure to help fill in any gaps he may be curious about. I am very happy with how close we are getting our finished models to look and I am glad you are too!

As far as easy to hard.. that's tough to say.. sometimes a piece of art / character just clicks. And then sometimes I can get hung up on a pose that looks super awkward for half a day. Can be very frustrating!

Dave Greco

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct] [Personal Portfolio]

Alright, I'm going to assume there are no guns so here's my question: Will there be an archetype that can dual wield a hand crossbow with a dagger or rapier. Yes, much like the Witch Hunter in Warhammer Online. However, I think it would be much nicer if the hand crossbow could actually be used from mid range rather than just melee. 

Totally a selfishly driven question. 

Thanks for the question! It varies slightly depending on the complexity of the character, but I tend to blast through the process pretty fast. Todd and I will discuss the vision of a character and we will bounce some ideas back and forth. From there I will try to get some black and white digital sketches down so I can rip into the final. I tend to work very fast.. so we can usually get a finished piece to review within a day or two.

I always paint knowing that this will go into a hand of a modeler. After being in the industry for awhile, you get used to that sort of process. I generally know what shapes will work better than others, and what parts of the model could be a nightmare (clipping, rigging, etc). I will work closely with the modeler if I can as well, to make sure to help fill in any gaps he may be curious about. I am very happy with how close we are getting our finished models to look and I am glad you are too!

As far as easy to hard.. that's tough to say.. sometimes a piece of art / character just clicks. And then sometimes I can get hung up on a pose that looks super awkward for half a day. Can be very frustrating!

He's not kidding, you guys. I've never seen an artist work as fast as Dave does... The curse of his speed is that he always feels he could improve, as a result we'll come in the next day and he's entirely redone a concept we all agreed was already fantastic before!  

Tully Ackland

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

now, to your real question:

I am ALL IN on Crowfall.  I've invested a big chunk of my savings.  I left my cushy job.  I gave up my safe little nest, and took a bold (arguably foolhardy) leap into the unknown.

Why?

Because I HAVE to make this game.

March, 2004: Shadowbane basically ruined me.  I put everything I had into Wolfpack; I crunched for years.  I spent all the money that I made from selling my previous company.  I lost friends.  I alienated family members.  I'm not going to go so far as to say "shadowbane caused my divorce", but I will say: it certainly didn't help.

We shipped it, yes. and it sold well. But it was riddled with issues (technical, design, and operational) that caused it to bleed players like a sieve. 

All that effort, all that cost, all that pain. and it just didn't work. We lost.

We sold the company to find a soft landing for the team.   The founders?  No such luck.  Unemployed. 

I had invested everything in Shadowbane, and walked away with almost nothing.  For about a year, I basically fell off the grid, didn't do much of anything but think about what went wrong.  

I'm over that, now.  I'm not longer haunted by 'this went wrong' or 'that went wrong'.  I'm years past the autopsy. 

What haunts me is this: it ALMOST worked.

The vision we (the Wolfpack founders) had was amazing.  The vision was right there, so perfectly clear in our minds.  It was tangible.  And, every now and then in development, the rarest of moments.  A break in the storm clouds, the sunlight would pour through like a light from heaven and everything would just WORK.  For a few moments, you could FEEL it.  Ask the folks who played the SB beta, they can tell you what it felt like:

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

...and then the clouds would roll back in, fires would erupt all around me, and everything would go to hell again.

The idea behind Crowfall -- the original idea that pre-dates Shadowbane, that was born in a pizza joint as a scribble on a paper napkin -- that vision is my white whale.  We had it once, right there, in our grasps.  It was so close!  

It ALMOST worked.

I've spent every day of the last decade learning how to build MMOs.  Shadowbane was the first game that I ever worked on, remember.  I made a ton of newbie mistakes.  Say what you like about Wizard101, but we had a flawless launch and amassed over 50 million players.  I've picked up a few tricks.

I learned what I need to learn about building MMOs.  Launching MMOs.  Running a live service.  and with Gordon here, and the team that we have recruited, we can do this.  We can make this game great.

This isn't just a game to me.  I'm on a mission.

It is time to right a great wrong.

Todd

ACE

You have my Tlanarion.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

That passion Todd, it's very stimulating. I can't wait to see the rest of the vision of this project. 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Whoa that got intense real fast, i bet if we could see the look on your face as you say those things we'd feel a little afraid!

There's a brick wall between us but I could hear ferocious typing from the otherside! 

The man has passion. 

Tully Ackland

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

There's a brick wall between us but I could hear ferocious typing from the otherside! 

The man has passion. 

Typing.gif

How I imagined it!

@JToddColeman

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to come here and answer what are no doubt difficult and sometimes probing questions.

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

I am ALL IN on Crowfall.  I've invested a big chunk of my savings.  I left my cushy job.  I gave up my safe little nest, and took a bold (arguably foolhardy) leap into the unknown.

Why?

March, 2004: Shadowbane basically ruined me.  I put everything I had into Wolfpack; I crunched for years.  I spent all the money that I made from selling my previous company.  I lost friends.  I alienated family members.  I'm not going to go so far as to say "shadowbane caused my divorce", but I will say: it certainly didn't help.

We shipped it, yes. and it sold well. But it was riddled with issues (technical, design, and operational) that caused it to bleed players like a sieve. 

All that effort, all that cost, all that pain. and it just didn't work. We lost.

We sold the company to find a soft landing for the team.   The founders?  No such luck.  Unemployed. 

I had invested everything in Shadowbane, and walked away with almost nothing.  For about a year, I basically fell off the grid, didn't do much of anything but think about what went wrong.  

I'm over that, now.  I'm not longer haunted by 'this went wrong' or 'that went wrong'.  I'm years past the autopsy. 

The vision we (the Wolfpack founders) had was amazing.  The vision was right there, so perfectly clear in our minds.  It was tangible.  And, every now and then in development, the rarest of moments.  A break in the storm clouds, the sunlight would pour through like a light from heaven and everything would just WORK.  For a few moments, you could FEEL it.  Ask the folks who played the SB beta, they can tell you what it felt like:

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

...and then the clouds would roll back in, fires would erupt all around me, and everything would go to hell again.

The idea behind Crowfall -- the original idea that pre-dates Shadowbane, that was born in a pizza joint as a scribble on a paper napkin -- that vision is my white whale.  We had it once, right there, in our grasps.  It was so close!  

It ALMOST worked.

I've spent every day of the last decade learning how to build MMOs.  Shadowbane was the first game that I ever worked on, remember.  I made a ton of newbie mistakes.  Say what you like about Wizard101, but we had a flawless launch and amassed over 50 million players.  I've picked up a few tricks.

I learned what I need to learn about building MMOs.  Launching MMOs.  Running a live service.  and with Gordon here, and the team that we have recruited, we can do this.  We can make this game great.

Todd

ACE

This is probably one of the best posts in the whole forum. Thank you.

Who came up with the name Crowfall, and what was the inspiration for it?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Dang. Hope it works out for you J Todd. Especially since all-in didn't work out so well the first time.

Haunts us, too. Why shadowbane players even bothered to make emulators, stick around through everything that went wrong in the first half and the second half. It's why we've essentially been homeless since Shadowbane.

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

Why?

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

It ALMOST worked.

Todd

ACE

In a time when new crowdforging dreams are entered into the market every few months, this right here is what gaming communities are looking for. We need confidence, that the developers are all in. Not all in on a market strategy, I think enough of us have been through that wringer. We need a mechanically solid game that we can have reasonable confidence will see a lush live environment. One that the development teams believes in, and are willing to promote on it's own merit. 

This single post has done a lot to quiet a portion of my concerns, and I thank you for it. 

mael4.jpg

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

Why?

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

It ALMOST worked.

Todd

ACE

Shadowbane haunts anyone that played it.  No game shines like that game did.  

Intellectual honesty is an applied method of problem solving, characterized by an unbiased, honest attitude, which can be demonstrated in a number of different ways:

• One's personal beliefs do not interfere with the pursuit of truth;
  • Relevant facts and information are not purposefully omitted even when such things may contradict one's hypothesis;
  • Facts are presented in an unbiased manner, and not twisted to give misleading impressions or to support one view over another;
  • References, or earlier work, are acknowledged where possible, and plagiarism is avoided.

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

Why?

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

It ALMOST worked.

Todd

ACE

There are many of us that are extremely grateful you wrote the story of the Spiral but after reading this, I am sure THIS will be the GREATEST story you have ever written.   For us, all of us in the CF community, but especially for YOU.  I feel privileged to be able to be a small part of it, to watch it all come to life. 

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

Why?

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

It ALMOST worked.

Todd

ACE

Nice post.  Shadowbane was definitely a great attempt conceptually, it just didn't have the sturdy foundation to truly stand on its own.  It's cool you have another chance to go for what you are passionate about, just make sure the foundation is sturdy this time. 

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

Why?

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

It ALMOST worked.

Todd

ACE

I was there with Shadowbane, and I'll be there with Crowfall.

Favorite post on the forums. Best post I've read from a dev in a loooong time.

I'm all in.

Thank you.