• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

Ask The Team!

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

now, to your real question:

I am ALL IN on Crowfall.  I've invested a big chunk of my savings.  I left my cushy job.  I gave up my safe little nest, and took a bold (arguably foolhardy) leap into the unknown.

Why?

Because I HAVE to make this game.

March, 2004: Shadowbane basically ruined me.  I put everything I had into Wolfpack; I crunched for years.  I spent all the money that I made from selling my previous company.  I lost friends.  I alienated family members.  I'm not going to go so far as to say "shadowbane caused my divorce", but I will say: it certainly didn't help.

We shipped it, yes. and it sold well. But it was riddled with issues (technical, design, and operational) that caused it to bleed players like a sieve. 

All that effort, all that cost, all that pain. and it just didn't work. We lost.

We sold the company to find a soft landing for the team.   The founders?  No such luck.  Unemployed. 

I had invested everything in Shadowbane, and walked away with almost nothing.  For about a year, I basically fell off the grid, didn't do much of anything but think about what went wrong.  

I'm over that, now.  I'm not longer haunted by 'this went wrong' or 'that went wrong'.  I'm years past the autopsy. 

What haunts me is this: it ALMOST worked.

The vision we (the Wolfpack founders) had was amazing.  The vision was right there, so perfectly clear in our minds.  It was tangible.  And, every now and then in development, the rarest of moments.  A break in the storm clouds, the sunlight would pour through like a light from heaven and everything would just WORK.  For a few moments, you could FEEL it.  Ask the folks who played the SB beta, they can tell you what it felt like:

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

...and then the clouds would roll back in, fires would erupt all around me, and everything would go to hell again.

The idea behind Crowfall -- the original idea that pre-dates Shadowbane, that was born in a pizza joint as a scribble on a paper napkin -- that vision is my white whale.  We had it once, right there, in our grasps.  It was so close!  

It ALMOST worked.

I've spent every day of the last decade learning how to build MMOs.  Shadowbane was the first game that I ever worked on, remember.  I made a ton of newbie mistakes.  Say what you like about Wizard101, but we had a flawless launch and amassed over 50 million players.  I've picked up a few tricks.

I learned what I need to learn about building MMOs.  Launching MMOs.  Running a live service.  and with Gordon here, and the team that we have recruited, we can do this.  We can make this game great.

This isn't just a game to me.  I'm on a mission.

It is time to right a great wrong.

Todd

ACE

You know what, I have been very skeptical about how the campaigns and resets are going to work. After reading what you said here, I have to have faith in you know what you are doing much better than myself, so I am going to let that part of my skeptism go now. However, I am still going to give my thoughts and opinions here :P

I have never seen a person in ANY game I ever played show so much passion for what they are doing on a forum, this I truly applaud you and hope this works out great.

This post is by no means a "fanoboi" post but a post of appreciation and applaud for a person ballsy enough to show his passion from past mistakes and for the future goal at hand!

Even if this doesn't appeal to me personally in the end at full reveal, I would defiantly leave here with a lot of respect and admiration for what you guys are doing here!

How do you find the time? JTodd, you've answered me personally. Gordon liked one of my posts. All the responses here...

I've played games that have been stable for years and the entire community can't get a peep out of the devs. Just some clueless CM. You guys are doing all your daily work, but still find the time. How? Why? Why is this community getting the personal touch? I'm sure we haven't done anything special to deserve it.

I know I haven't.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Ask the folks who played the SB beta, they can tell you what it felt like:

Nothing has since topped the feeling I had when venturing off from Khar for the first time. Dangerously establishing myself and my group at an encampment of orcs, struggling to stay alive. From atop the embankment of sand rose up two Irekei Wizards with demonic pets at their side. The music was intensely eerie. I had a feeling I was about to impart all of my recently amassed wealth to these new folk. Before I knew it, the demon pets started sprinting towards my group, Bolts were flying through the air, the orc monsters unrelenting. It was a slaughter. I respawned at the Tree. I thought about how much that just sucked. I laughed. I loved it. I wanted revenge, or at the very least, I wanted to see it happen again; to learn how to do it to others.

Or4vDvn.png

Even more likely : if someone came up with a real cool idea for a Fae archetype, that adds interesting texture to universe, I'd absolutely consider it.  if that character could reuse out of an existing animation set (i.e. budget and time comes down dramatically), it starts to look even more appealing.

Fae Tyrant

Male Fae with ears & wings crudely hacked off to hide them while they matured. Everything the assassin fears, cruel and atrong, a natural counter to her archetype. Uses Champion weapon anims, has a very barbarian playstyle but themed with Fae magic. Think shadowstep, old god tentacle snares, using shadow bodies.

Can always count on BBC to catch the little details  ;)

Looking for Crowfall RP? Join us at https://eatcrow.slack.com/. Details here.

vague hint:

"I <3 D'Orion" 

now, to your real question:

I am ALL IN on Crowfall.  I've invested a big chunk of my savings.  I left my cushy job.  I gave up my safe little nest, and took a bold (arguably foolhardy) leap into the unknown.

Why?

Because I HAVE to make this game.

March, 2004: Shadowbane basically ruined me.  I put everything I had into Wolfpack; I crunched for years.  I spent all the money that I made from selling my previous company.  I lost friends.  I alienated family members.  I'm not going to go so far as to say "shadowbane caused my divorce", but I will say: it certainly didn't help.

We shipped it, yes. and it sold well. But it was riddled with issues (technical, design, and operational) that caused it to bleed players like a sieve. 

All that effort, all that cost, all that pain. and it just didn't work. We lost.

We sold the company to find a soft landing for the team.   The founders?  No such luck.  Unemployed. 

I had invested everything in Shadowbane, and walked away with almost nothing.  For about a year, I basically fell off the grid, didn't do much of anything but think about what went wrong.  

I'm over that, now.  I'm not longer haunted by 'this went wrong' or 'that went wrong'.  I'm years past the autopsy. 

What haunts me is this: it ALMOST worked.

The vision we (the Wolfpack founders) had was amazing.  The vision was right there, so perfectly clear in our minds.  It was tangible.  And, every now and then in development, the rarest of moments.  A break in the storm clouds, the sunlight would pour through like a light from heaven and everything would just WORK.  For a few moments, you could FEEL it.  Ask the folks who played the SB beta, they can tell you what it felt like:

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

...and then the clouds would roll back in, fires would erupt all around me, and everything would go to hell again.

The idea behind Crowfall -- the original idea that pre-dates Shadowbane, that was born in a pizza joint as a scribble on a paper napkin -- that vision is my white whale.  We had it once, right there, in our grasps.  It was so close!  

It ALMOST worked.

I've spent every day of the last decade learning how to build MMOs.  Shadowbane was the first game that I ever worked on, remember.  I made a ton of newbie mistakes.  Say what you like about Wizard101, but we had a flawless launch and amassed over 50 million players.  I've picked up a few tricks.

I learned what I need to learn about building MMOs.  Launching MMOs.  Running a live service.  and with Gordon here, and the team that we have recruited, we can do this.  We can make this game great.

Todd

ACE

You know what they say, shoot for the stars, and if you miss, go even further ;)

7lXqKFL.gif

(Not quoting the whole thing due to how many times it has already been done....I think we know which post I'm referring to)

Todd

ACE

Just wanted to state how refreshing it is to know that kind of passion still exists out there especially in the "executive world". The only thing that is still saddening is how so very rare it is. Thank you sir

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with truthiness

In regards to classes, I really miss simplistic classes.  

Today's MMO's just branch out so many directions and it's a constant struggle to create balance.  The new ideas of healerless groups, dropping CC, and other ideas to me just seem like steps away from genre.

I am probably in the minority but I hope Crowfall chooses to implement several races but a singular class choice.  

Personally, if i'm a healer, I want to play the role of a healer.  Not have 500 choices of how I will make my healer (ultimately there is an optimal build anyway that most people just copy so what's really the point).  I hate to refer to Everquest once again but it was a much simpler time and you had to be good at what you did.  

I probably need to flesh out the point but foundationally, what does a Crowfall group look like in the developer mind?  Roles? Numbers? Any details at all?

How do you find the time? JTodd, you've answered me personally. Gordon liked one of my posts. All the responses here...

I've played games that have been stable for years and the entire community can't get a peep out of the devs. Just some clueless CM. You guys are doing all your daily work, but still find the time. How? Why? Why is this community getting the personal touch? I'm sure we haven't done anything special to deserve it.

I know I haven't.

This is the norm for us IMO.  Can't be good stewards without listening and interacting.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Alright, I'm going to assume there are no guns so here's my question: Will there be an archetype that can dual wield a hand crossbow with a dagger or rapier. Yes, much like the Witch Hunter in Warhammer Online. However, I think it would be much nicer if the hand crossbow could actually be used from mid range rather than just melee. 

Totally a selfishly driven question. 

This, I want this too.

A not really game related question to the females of the team Larissa and Allison. I don't know for sure but I'm assuming the game developing world is mostly male driven. I am currently studying and passionately in love with a career field that is practically an all male field. It's not gaming, I'm not creative enough to do that. And I'm sure that all the guys on the Crowfall team are perfect gentlemen and if they aren't lemme know I'll swing by and beat the snot out of them. I'd like to know what it's like working with almost all guys, how you handle it, how you handle it when a guy crosses a line, and do you ever feel completely comfortable around so many men or do you always have the smallest nagging doubt in the back of you minds?

Dang you're an Icy Witch.

This is the norm for us IMO.  Can't be good stewards without listening and interacting.

I'm sad to say, this is the first I've experienced this, and I've played a LOT of mmos...

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS THE GAME.  

THIS IS THE VISION.  

IT IS REAL.

IT WORKS.  

Todd

ACE

Thank you so much for this post.  I think it brings final closure to some very deep wounds from so long ago.

For me, Shadowbane was a deeply moving experience.

It was my first real PvP game - sure I played UO but I spent most of my time wandering around killing rabbits or mining ore.  In SB Alpha I bumped into a couple guys farming lizardmen, they asked me to join, we became good friends and my gaming resume took a hard left turn into the hardcore territory of old-school PvP/PK guilds.  Reds.  Murders.  And empire builders.

It was my first time experiencing the camaraderie of a guild.  SB was a game to have friends.  You fought and died together.

It was my first interaction with a development team, as passionate about gaming as I was myself becoming.  WP was making a game they wanted to play.  I wanted to play it with them. 

It was my first time investing my own time and energy into the creation of a game by doing my little part.  Other than the promise of a great gaming experience, I had nothing to gain.  There was no fortune on the line for me.  I had a steady job unrelated to the success or failure of the game.  But I poured myself into it.  I posted on forums.  I volunteer moderated forums.  I wrote articles.  I too was "All In."

To this day, I have never had  a more an engaging and satisfying experience in a game than the year+ in the SB beta.  I could see the vision, and I wanted it too.  The rise and fall of cities and empires.  So this is what a game could offer!  It was so much more fulfilling than solo adventuring!  The legends being made were greater than the pixels.

And then it all came crashing down.  Within 2 months of release, I could no longer bear to play.  I felt angry and betrayed by fellow players (hackers and those who implicitly or knowingly supported the activity), by Wolfpack for not being able to code a game without sb.exe, and myself for getting into the position of caring so much about a recreational hobby.

While I continued to play MMOs after SB, I stepped away from games still in development.  If a game ended up sucking, I just quietly left.  No big deal - I wasn't going to get burned again.

I invested my time into my son, who started to play games while sitting in my lap (Goggle "3 year old kid playing WoW" and see what you find!).  And then on his own (he started to learn to read by figuring out noob zone quests in WoW).  And then on his own computer next to me.

And more recently I focused my time into an online community, Lords of the Dead.  The games themselves don't have to be all that great if you are having fun with online friends.

And then, just when I thought I got comfortable..... "Play2Crush!"  I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  I was hesitant to fall into the same pitfalls of the past.  I had more questions than answers (my forum profile picture has a question mark for a reason). 

Then things started to get interesting.  I found myself checking back into the forums daily.  Then multiple times daily.  Then with some of the recent info drops I spent most of the day reading and commenting in 20 page long threads.  As I recently wrote in my forum profile, "Fast forward 12(ish) years, and here we go again!"

The other day I was trying to summarize my current thoughts about Crowfall in a single sentence.  I came up with this:

Crowfall is a second chance at a once in a lifetime game.

rSHxVEY.gif

I just wanted to thank all the Devs for this thread, it is easily my favorite now in the Forums, and I can't help but be energized by the passion I see from all of you.  Todd's words stirred the dream.  So here's another question from me: How can we get involved in this process, apart from offering up our thoughts here in the forums and spreading the word to our friends?

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Something has been bugging me for about a week now regarding the several different changing worlds the Crowfall team is creating. Not really sure how to ask this but how exactly do you plan to create all these different worlds and keep them fairly seamless within themselves? I can just see the potential for a lot of worlds to end up looking like a patchwork of randomness if a template or something is just used to "Tadah" new world with a desert in an awkward place beside a rainforest.

I think my vague hint is :  Player bonds

What's important to me is that we make a must-play experience for the discerning gamer, an experience that once played becomes impactful to our players life history.  When I think of some of my early MMO experiences, it was the most intense and impactful gameplay (and social play) I had ever experienced, and my goal is to build a product/service with that intensity of experience and bring it to as many people who can stand it as possible.  I don't think most people want that level of intensity in their play, but for those that do, there is nothing else that compares.

And if we can do that, maybe, just maybe we nudge the MMO medium forward some, and encourage other teams to try something else which seems crazy, but might just be more fun than we can imagine.

Well, damn... 

That's some orator **** right there!

2cda10c2_slow-clap.gif

This MMO is basically my last attempt at caring to ever really invest myself in any MMO ever again, quite frankly. 

I've been searching and wading through this post WoW era hopelessly bouncing from one skinner box distraction to the next.  It's time to remember what games are.  We used to play pretend as children, then developed into playing more complex games.  Games taught us things about being human - competing, doing your best, winning and losing with humility - the list goes on. 

We need to play games again.  I feel it is unfortunate, those who have written, or will write off this game because there is a chance at losing something; whether gear, territory, or an entire Campaign.  I come from playing table top roleplaying games and strategy board games.  I've lost tons of games.

Crowfall seems to be a mixture between a roleplaying game, and a strategy board game.  I couldn't be more excited.  Mixing these two genres is something it seems only SB really innovated on.  All because it seems too many people are afraid to lose something.

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

[...]

I just love your passion. I can't wait until you make this kickstarter/founder system available, so we, the players, can also show you how passionate we are.  ;)

Edited by kris

How did Gordon Walton and J Todd Coleman meet and what was the "aha moment" like when you both realized you were going to start a studio and make Crowfall?

Todd and I met back when I was running UO and he was building Shadowbane.  One thing you might not know is that the game development community in Austin is quite collegial, and almost all the studio and game leaders socialize, even if their companies are competitive.  We kept in touch over the years, mostly by having lunch a couple of times yearly.  Frankly, we never thought we'd work together because we both tend to work on long term projects and the idea that we could sync up never really occurred to either of us though we certainly liked and respected each other.

Early in 2013, we had arranged our normal periodic lunch.  As we greeted each other,Todd said "I've got something to tell you" and I (being the brusque person I am), said "No, I've got something to tell you, I've decided to leave Disney and I want to start a new company".  Of course, he had been about to tell me he was leaving Kingsisle and wanted to start a new company!  We were both bit shocked that we were doing this at the same time, and immediately started talking about the marketplace, what we saw that was not working well and where the opportunities might be for something that would shake things up.  In that conversation we realized that we had very similar worldviews and desires around how to build a game company and what kind of products to create.  We had a couple of follow-up meetings and within a week or so decided to try working together.  And from that start over the next few months we created ArtCraft Entertainment and started the process of creating the vision for Crowfall and the building the team to create it.

It's been a blast so far (at least from my perspective!).  I love partnering with strong creative people while I worry more about the nuts and bolts of execution, and Todd is certainly amazingly creative guy!

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook