Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RanceJustice

Duelist - The only Class remaining with a single Race option? Lets remedy this by supporting other "Dextrous and Dashing" races ASAP!

When I first heard the news of the "Great Decoupling" and the massive increase in flexibility given by now allowing Races and Classes to be chosen separately, one of my first thoughts was of the Duelist. Throughout my adventures in many of the great MMORPGs of past decades, I've enjoyed playing some variety of  "graceful, finesse-based swordsman" as one of my primary characters.  Thus, the Duelist seemed to be one of my classes of interest here in Crowfall. However, I was disappointed to find this Archetype was limited exclusively to the Guinecean; as unique and neat as they are, I typically prefer a different, non-bestial aesthetic in my "main" avatars in MMOs     With learning that  Races and Classes would be decoupled I was excited believing that I would perhaps have my chance to try a Duelist in another race, but I was in for a surprise when looking upon the chart!

Unlike every other class listed on the chart of Race/Class compatibility, the Duelist remains as a choice exclusively for Guineceans, despite the fall of the Archetype system. While I understand that there are plans to roll out future race/class combinations, it seems odd to me that every other Class in "phase 1' is offered to at least 3 and as many as 6 Races, while Guineceans themselves have the option of 3 Classes at this point (thus ensuring that a variety of players could be drawn to the race without an "artificial" boost of exclusivity).   With this in mind, I'd like to propose that the Duelist class be offered to at least 2-3 other Races here in Phase 1, to give it parity with other classes.

I am certainly open to suggestions on exactly what Races these should be, but I would suggest to fulfill, lore, aesthetic, balance, and class fantasy  perhaps it should be races that are either dexterous and given to a finesse and ingenuity based fighting style, and/or share some respect for Gaea, the Guinecean patron deity,  see the value in Alchemy, and  would be likely to trade/interact with Guinaceans and learn their ways.     Perhaps Half Elves and Humans would be good options in this regard? I am thinking that  High Elves  and/or Wood Elves could be among the best choices as well, though there are a few lore elements I'd like to confirm. Fae would work perhaps mechanically, but may have the most tenuous lore connections.  Other races and classes I cannot see as great a lore explanation nor a mechanical/aesthetic benefit.

In any event, adding 2-3 of these races would certainly go a long way towards giving players other options  through which to enjoy the Duelist "class fantasy" while bringing Duelist to parity with the rest of the race/class pairings created in this first iteration of the system.     Thank you.

Sometimes balance comes into these decisions. Not balance in terms of what a character can do, but how many of them are selected. The devs would know, for example, that by choosing to make Duellists Guinea's only, there will be less Duellists than if, say, humans could be Duellists too... and presumably they are OK with that and it's part of the design.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:24 PM, blazzen said:

Some of the abilities really only make sense on a rat (go for broke). This class was designed during the archetype area and wouldn't translate well to any of the other races currently. 

This is the best argument for Duelist being Guinecean only.  Tunelling doesn’t really make sense on any other race, so either Duelist needs to be reworked or kept as hamster only.

As far as i know it is the only Class that is restricted to one race Which is kinda Odd there needs to be diversity or else give each race its own special class that is locked to that race.

This is out right discrimination against all of the other races !

Its fine.

Just make sure guinecians can't play the second scoundrel class whenever it is added to the game after launch. Guinecians get duelist, other races get "New Bard" or whatever the missing postlaunch class is.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"