Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helix

What would you like to see with the cleric?

Class theme: For me, the cleric is a selfless class. A non-aggressive type that prefers avoiding to fight but will do as last resort. An altruist class that will go beyond to protect others.

Gameplay: Clerics are to me more backline range casters, drape wearers kind of dudes. 

Ability type: I like the idea of negating dmg over healing and yet have a cruel, ruthless smiting side to the class delivering god's judgment on its oppressors.

• Defensive power: ward a zone with a Protective charm (AoE dmg mitigation), cast Shields (also self cast), Sacrifice (absorbing dmg taken by ally), Absolution (trade their own health to heal others).
  • Offensive power: Remorse (DoT with a slow), Retaliate (%dmg taken inflicted back to your attacker), Smite (dmg + short blind), Judgment (finisher move)

Combos: A self-cast Shield + Sacrifice would allow you to absorb dmg without losing HP then cast Absolution to trade some of your HP to heal your allies. The protective charm either on your team or yourself help mitigate initial dmg.  

Self cast Protective charm Shield to absorb dmg then swap to offense and self cast Retaliate to deal some dmg back while shielded. Cast Remorse then Smite on target as filler. Rinse and repeat till you can cast Judgment. 

Self cast Shield then Sacrifice on ally then Retaliate and whoever is attacking you would take loads of dmg. 

On 22.5.2017 at 10:12 PM, Helix said:

1h and 2h maces /w shield.

If they implement this, I will no longer main a Knight. But like everything else in life, it's too good to be true...

3 minutes ago, Gwanstar said:

If they implement this, I will no longer main a Knight. But like everything else in life, it's too good to be true...

cleric has access to master of hammers, maces and shields

see also this art of half-giant cleric from massive reveal week...

Crowfall_HalfGiant_Cleric_Watermarked.jp

they also mentioned on livestream they will have 'holy auras' e.g. toggle powers similar to the bard songs.

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I'm curious on how the fantasy of a cleric will play out.  There are a ton of different options they can go with, but in my mind I see a cleric doing 3 things (luckily for us there are 3 promotion classes).

Healer - Utility - Damage

Healer - I'm hoping more Sword & Board, front-line healer, but I'm open other things as well.

Utility - Specializing in those auras/buffs, sword & board.  Tankier of the 3 specs.

Damage - Because everyone needs a damage option.  So many ways to go with this from 2h hammers to a cloth wearing monk like guy with a staff.

There are a ton of other combinations in my head, and I can get a hell of a lot more specific, but specific is just a shot in the dark kind of thing.  This is a very vague outline of something I'd like to see conceptually.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I liked the early days of WoW, when they made the holy paladin pass. It was a really nice hybrid I loved. Pretty much everyone who I ended up in a dungeon with flamed me and was sure we would fail, but little did they know... The cool thing is unlike the priest class, the holy paladin actually required skill and was still viable. You had the ability to constantly fight on top of healing, and you weren't limited to cloth armor. This was a major win for me, compared to the more boring and repetetive priest class. WoW however heavily focused on the trinity system, so there was little popularity for "hybrid" classes. Pretty much: No fun allowed.

If Crowfall could pull off something, even just for a specialization, where you would be encouraged to engage in combat on top of healing like how the Legionairre works, but more focus on healing, Lets just say I would reach my full potential in contributing to the team. I originally thought that this would be more akin to a paladin, but then again, I've never seen a cleric with a mace and shield. Okay, to be completely honest I've never truely seen a cleric in action.

So... What's the major difference between a cleric, and a paladin, or even a priest in terms or RPGs such as shadowbane? Priest I can understand in the more traditional sense of 0% combat, 100% healing. Right now, the image I have of a cleric is a "knight" who can heal, or a "paladin" who doesn't use a two-handed weapon.

22 hours ago, Gwanstar said:

So... What's the major difference between a cleric, and a paladin, or even a priest in terms or RPGs such as shadowbane? Priest I can understand in the more traditional sense of 0% combat, 100% healing. Right now, the image I have of a cleric is a "knight" who can heal, or a "paladin" who doesn't use a two-handed weapon.

In Shadowbane you had the a base class of "Healer".  You could promote in several ways.  A couple of them being:

Crusader - Very defensive, used auras.  Could be specced into damage from spells or weapons, but overall, had very few offensive powers.  Had limited healing, but could still heal.  Heavily armored.  

Prelate - Was more medium armor.  Had more heal spells and more holy damage spells.  Could not really do much with weapons but had a mace/shield.

Priest - Wore medium to cloth armor.  Had ridiculous backline heal spells and buffs.  No real damage, no real tankiness.

There were other promotion classes, but I find cleric very close to those three options when considering Shadowbane.  Honestly, when I think of cleric, I think of D&D Cleric from v3.5 -  Medium armor wearing, mace/shield, a little melee, beefy but not tanky, and mostly holy damage/healing spells.  

But with 3 promotion classes, I can see that as being one specialization.  That leaves 2 other specializations or "fantasy"s to be explored.

I'd love to see a "damage" spec cleric that is maybe... anti-healing?  Since his death as a crow, he can put anti-healing shields on an enemy target or healing debuffs while he goes about his damage.  A dark cleric, which could entail a lot more fun stuffz in his kit!  Just have to be careful not to overlap with other classes in terms of powers.

Edited by Sycon

When I think of the sort of cleric I would like to play, I think more of a zealous buffer/debuffer. I like the idea of a crazed holy man with parchment pinned to his robes charging into combat with a wooden club, inspiring acts of heroism in his fellows and evoking dread in his opponents (any Warhammer 40k people out there?). From that perspective, my idea for a cleric would encourage the following:

• The use of clubs/maces and shields
  • Group AoE buffs/shouts
  • AoE debuffs (possibly a fear?)
  • A prayer mechanic
    • Could right click to pray which charges a damage shield
    • Could have a channeled group AoE heal or debuff purge ability 
    • Could have a counter mechanic for "over-praying" such as your screen going blurry as you lose your grip on the material world

This would produce a frontline healer/support character that could mix it up in melee while granting group support and some measure of counter against area denial. That and it would be badass and flavorful as hell to have a shield wall supported by a cleric like this - ha!