Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So what do we know about money in Crowfall?

(there seems to be another thread that keeps resurrecting and contains old information, maybe we collect some new data into this one)

Mainly, I'd like to know 3 things:

- Where it comes into the game?

- How does it go out of the game?

- What are the rules for importing and exporting in campaign worlds?

So far all we know is that the dust you mine is going to be used in factories and for paying taxes. So that'll probably be the defacto form of currency. How it's going to be seeded and how the economy will be jumpstarted...well that's what we'll have to find out.

• 4 weeks later...

Currency will be necessary, unless you want to trade everything on barter. Maybe for guilds it won't be as needed, since you are in a pre-defined group; and the Dregs are Free-For-Alls. And I'm sure that the currency will have to be both importable and exportable so that people can use it. If you've been successful in a lot of campaigns, you'll be able to buy a lot of good resources and stuff to become a powerful leader of your faction early into the campaign and start building defenses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Really currency is just a middle man for bartering so that in real life we don't have to move trees and bricks all over the world in return for food. Without transportation cost just think of every resource as a denomination of currency. Trees = $1 Stone = $5 Tomes = $100 etc. Why mess with a middle man who just wants to cheat you out of some of your resources anyway (BANKS!)...

On 9/18/2017 at 10:24 PM, Wayoun said:

Really currency is just a middle man for bartering so that in real life we don't have to move trees and bricks all over the world in return for food. Without transportation cost just think of every resource as a denomination of currency. Trees = $1 Stone = $5 Tomes = $100 etc. Why mess with a middle man who just wants to cheat you out of some of your resources anyway (BANKS!)...

Currency also acts as a middle man, in making transactions more direct and simplified.  I can trade my chicken to Bob for $5 then my $5 to Alice for grain.  

In a no-currency barter system, Alice may not want my chicken, so I would have to arrange to give my chicken to Bob, who would give his apples to Charlie, who would give his bacon to Alice, who would give me the grain.  Or I would have to take Bob's apples and try and trade those for something else, which Alice wants, so I can get the grain I need.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:10 PM, Solinari said:

Currency also acts as a middle man, in making transactions more direct and simplified.  I can trade my chicken to Bob for $5 then my $5 to Alice for grain.  

In a no-currency barter system, Alice may not want my chicken, so I would have to arrange to give my chicken to Bob, who would give his apples to Charlie, who would give his bacon to Alice, who would give me the grain.  Or I would have to take Bob's apples and try and trade those for something else, which Alice wants, so I can get the grain I need.

And that's why barter systems are terrible. I couldn't imagine how much of a headache that would be to try and do that kind of trading in a video game nevermind in real life.

OS_Sig3.png

Probably because resources are going to be limited in certain campaigns compared to others. Also, if someone's EK is public, people could visit it, use coins as a means to buy things from other guilds or EKs that they wouldn't other wise be able to obtain.

From what it looks like you only get to take a certain amount of resources from the campaign after it's done to your EK. So if you're sitting on a pile of Dust Coins, why not use it to buy up some of the resources other people got and prepare for another campaign? It isn't like your guild or account is locked into one campaign ring.

Barter systems in real life and in video games have proven historically to be pretty bad. It's why a medium of exchange is the best solution. I sure as heck don't want to know what a one handed sword is worth in pieces of gold ore or pieces of ash wood. I sure don't want try and figure out what a potion is worth in terms of animal hides. That's a really stupid economic and trading system.

Edited by entityofsin

OS_Sig3.png