Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

02/04/15 - Update From The Founders

Maybe it something to do with they kept talking in the singular and not in the plural.  I'll copy some text over and switch from singular  to plural and then read both and determine:

Original:

What do you mean by “player owned and player managed”?

As the owner of a Kingdom, players are the monarch of these Worlds.  They get to set many of the rules that govern that World and the buildings within it. Don’t want people to visit your world? Lock it out. Want to setup a place for others to visit and trade? Make it public! Want to set a tax for all trade that happens there? Go for it.  Want to turn on free for all PvP?  No problem.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to manage your own kingdom, you can always swear fealty to the Monarch of another Kingdom and be granted a domain (i.e. one or more parcels of land) within that Kingdom. 

Changed:

As the owner of a Kingdom, players are the monarch of these Worlds.  They get to set many of the rules that govern that World and the buildings within it. Don’t want people to visit your guilds world? Lock it out. Want to setup a place for others to visit and trade? Make it public! Want to set a tax for all trade that happens there? Go for it.  Want to turn on free for all PvP?  No problem.

Alternatively, if your guild doesn't want to manage their own kingdom, the guild can always swear fealty to the Monarch of another Kingdom and be granted a domain (i.e. one or more parcels of land) within that Kingdom. 

Reads much different when you change it to plural from singular.

Edited by gauis
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

02/04/15 - Update from the Founders    First, I hope that you guys caught that we put our full team names/pictures/mini-bios on our site earlier this week.  We’re very grateful that we’ve been able

Pretty sure this was previously answered, but we are *NOT* f2p.  It's not the right model for this experience in our view.  More details on the Crowfall business model will come out before the countdo

Shutup and take my money!

It is likely this section of the FAQ that has people confused:

As the owner of a Kingdom, players are the monarch of these Worlds.  They get to set many of the rules that govern that World and the buildings within it. Don’t want people to visit your world? Lock it out. Want to setup a place for others to visit and trade? Make it public! Want to set a tax for all trade that happens there? Go for it.  Want to turn on free for all PvP?  No problem.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to manage your own kingdom, you can always swear fealty to the Monarch of another Kingdom and be granted a domain (i.e. one or more parcels of land) within that Kingdom.  If your domain is greater than one parcel, you can sub-parcel out areas within YOUR domain to other players – creating a fealty tree.  This is an ideal approach for Guilds and crafters.

It doesn't necessarily explain that everyone will have their own little corner initially.  It's still possible that you will have to buy (or kill) to obtain your kingdom.

Yep just like player housing in game like SWTOR where you can have a personal stronghold to craft in and if you pay enough you get a bigger stronghold that you can let friends use to craft in. Then there is Guild Strongholds that hold guilds but cost more.

good to hear different funding options are being explored. 

Please making crowd funding accessible to those with limited budgets. I don't mind dropping $200 on what I think is a quality game I want to help provide feedback on, but with a mortgage and other bills that (sadly) have priority over my gaming needs, I can't always drop that kind of cash in one go.

Not sure if its feasible, but an option to offer my support on a monthly basis (as I imagine Alpha/Beta will be many months long) would be awesome.

Throwing out some random numbers her, but if one of the backing options is $200, maybe I could have 4 payments of $50 over 4 months, and assuming I make all the payments, I gain/keep my backing access and bonuses. ArtCraft would keep my funds already paid if I backed out, or missed a payment. 

Personally, I would also like to NOT have any unique titles given as swag. Having the option to change the colour of your spell effects would be a better reward for early backing I feel.

As always, appreciate the update on the state of things!

Simply put and sucks I have to go back to MOBAs but that's all I've been playing the past few years really: you aren't providing a "100% persistent world" in this type of game. Sure, there are many worlds, and yes EK is really the only one you have control of. But it's your lobby. You're just chilling there. Plenty of games out there have lobbies where you chill and yes I know there's a bit more to that, but in essence, EK is just fluff imho (even with the powerful trophies). The true game (dev stated) are where the worlds are and they reset. And in any other game in which the game world(s)/servers reset on a constant basis (that I can think of on the top of my head), you don't charge a sub. 

My opinion is that we'll be seeing a Buy2Play game with Cash Shop, I am going to make another educated guess, that the cash shop will sell SKINS, ala MOBAs. Hopefully, no boosters (XP/CASH/SKILL, etc) that give any advantage, even if it's time will be present. I am hoping for a purely cosmetic shop and LoL at over 30million people active daily, and over 1 billion dollars a year gross says that it can be done as long as there is great gameplay.

IMHO anyway:) 

But my skins theory may be off because of armor that's crafted....hmm

But again, think of any other multiplayer strategy game. Even long term ones. 

It could still be B2P with subs after that. And we've all been begging for no cash shop or cosmetic only.

Even skins might provide a game advantage if you got a zombie skin.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Cosmetic advantages and the associated disadvantages are unfortunate at best as they discourage character customization, so hopefully there wont be reasons to make sure everyone in a guild with the same class/role is wearing the same hair, gender, clothing color, skin color, etc.

Okay... I want to play RAMPANT SPECULATION!

Who remembers this?

Crowfall_Hierarchy.jpg

Now put that with this

13. What do you mean by “player owned and player managed”?

As the owner of a Kingdom, players are the monarch of these Worlds. They get to set many of the rules that govern that World and the buildings within it. Don’t want people to visit your world? Lock it out. Want to setup a place for others to visit and trade? Make it public! Want to set a tax for all trade that happens there? Go for it. Want to turn on free for all PvP? No problem.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to manage your own kingdom, you can always swear fealty to the Monarch of another Kingdom and be granted a domain (i.e. one or more parcels of land) within that Kingdom. If your domain is greater than one parcel, you can sub-parcel out areas within YOUR domain to other players – creating a fealty tree. This is an ideal approach for Guilds and crafters.

I am going to say that this fealty tree is for an Eternal Kingdom world.

Does everyone get an EK?

NO.

I am going to guess there is a thresh hold to earn one.  Think "Elite Dangerous" for this - you can become an Elite Combatant, Trader, or Explorer.

In Crowfall I will guess you can earn the right to found an EK as a Fighter, crafter and maybe other stuff as well (Diplomat?, Caster?) and being an MMO I am also going to guess you will be able to buy it in the shop (RMT) but you wont have to - you can earn it in game.

Once you have an EK you can invite others to visit and give out land - you don't have to but it makes it more productive to do so.  It helps you and helps them too since they can join your EK until they can start one of their own.

Now, the "King" (or "Queen") makes the rules.  So, what stops them being an arse?  Well, if they are, players won't join them again.

In the fealty chart shown all characters are from the same house - that makes sense.  Maybe that world has a rule set supporting house vs house combat?  Or maybe it's a crafting hub for that house?

Anyway, you get the idea... so now i am going to step a little way out and do some speculative fan fiction.  Some of you who are familiar with MMOs might know the origin of this story.

FICTION

Feb 5th 2017 tinyeele.com

Player fallout continued on the Artcraft forums today in wake of the coup and collapse of the Eternal Kingdom of Nereus.

Nereus, a player world founded by a player known as Gyrus, was completely ravaged by the guild "Berkswarm" on Tuesday.

Tinyeelee interviewed the player Ozfly about the events:

"Gyrus was a great leader.  He founded the world and made it a haven for decent players and crafters everywhere.  It was so good even the squirrels pooped rainbows.  When Gyrus became a god leadership was passed from player to player according to the great principles he set out.  People came from across the internet just to see.... <snip> <snip> we even produced the ultra rare "Koster Stone" made by combining 200 ingots of rose gold with 150 electrum and 20 souls of master crafters and a rainbow pooped by a squirrel.  This is ultra rare and we had stockpiled hundreds.

Then on Tuesday we logged in to find the whole world on a hardcore full loot PvP ruleset and the Berkswarm guys camped at our keep gates.  20 minutes later it was all over....

"Lolbags" a leader of "Berkswarm" also spoke to tinyeele.com:

"We were on Vent about a month ago and this guy was there called "CuteMoth" - he was a Baron on Nereus.  We didn't believe him at first but what he said added up.  He said he was bored - and he liked the idea of full loot.   About a week ago he got promoted to Duke and we started thinking 'what can we do here?'... then we thought 'why do things by half?'.  We suggested he go for monarch.  He applied and when "Craftleader" went on holiday he got made King!'

So we got on vent and got the Berkboyz online.  In a coordinated move we hit them when most of them are offline.

"CuteMoth" opened the entry permissions up from 'invite' to open and changed the server rules to 'full PvP / full loot / and full destruction'.  It was a thing of beauty.

Ozfly told tinyeelee.com she estimates 2.7 billion in gold was lost representing 8 months work by over 260 people.

Artcraft developers were contacted and simply said "We don't hold player's hands in this game.  We may review the rules on Eternal Kingdom permissions in the future."

Meanwhile, on the Artcraft forums the rage quit continues...

/END FICTON

Hows that for rampant speculation?

Having funded digital games through Kickstarter. I am more than happy to chip in. I have no issue with this.

I would have additional questions and concerns. MMO's have an ongoing cost. Creation of new content and servers to run the game. So what is the plan for the continued funding of the game? Free to Play model (F2P)? Mirco transactions? Subscribtion? Pay to win (P2W)?

What I do not want to see, as I have with other developments. Is the endless passing of the hat for cash or the abuse of what I have seen on Steam recently. Were one developer got a Pre Alpha game approved for sale and yet they had finished any and all development of that game. In words they pawning off an unfished game for a cash injections, now that just not cool.

Edited by Britus

Having funded digital games through Kickstarter. I am more than happy to chip in. I have no issue with this.

I would have additional questions and concerns. MMO's have an ongoing cost. Creation of new content and servers to run the game. So what is the plan for the continued funding of the game? Free to Play model (F2P)? Mirco transactions? Subscribtion? Pay to win (P2W)?

What I do not want to see, as I have with other developments. Is the endless passing of the hat for cash or the abuse of what I have seen on Steam recently. Were one developer got a Pre Alpha game approved for sale and yet they had finish any and all development of that game. In words they pawning off an unfished game for a cash injections, now that just not cool.

Saw a Post by a Dev, can't remember which thread, but they completely ruled out F2P.

The concept of this game intrigues me but that is not what caught my attention. What caught my attention was the caliber of talent currently working on this project. This is not just some upstart group of college programmers with delusions of grandeur. I will keep my eye on this game for now.

Pretty sure this was previously answered, but we are *NOT* f2p.  It's not the right model for this experience in our view.  More details on the Crowfall business model will come out before the countdown ends.

Nice, I was hoping for that.

This will stop some hackers, and cheaters, as well as hopefully make the community a little better overall.

Edited by rs_navlaan

EOWWuhQ.png 

And I still think this wouldn't be the right choice for a sub game, because of the non-permanent worlds. Even if EK is Persistent and Permanent. Eh, now that I think about it...if they made EK more prominent in between campaigns...where we could siege and fight and try to take over other EKs...then we'd have a very interesting and worthwhile sub-game imho.

Yes, this sounds like fun to me too.  If two Monarchs wish to fight then they set thier kingdoms to war and each side is then able to attack the other.  I like this idea a lot.

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Why is everyone talking about money? Alpha this, beta this, premium, kickstarter... Slow down! It is killing the charm. This was meant to be a way to show our support for the project, not buy early game access. Enjoy the beautiful art, play with your imagination, dream of awesome combat and game mechanics you`ve never seen before! When the time comes we will all support the brave team with fire in our hearths! Until then, please don`t spoil the beauty of it.

Edited by Northrender