Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

02/04/15 - Update From The Founders

Random beta invites inevitably end up being sold anyway, on ebay or various RMT trading sites.

And why is putting pressure on devs bad, exactly? They should have some pressure to release a solid game.

But bad testers don't give you a solid game.  To test you need to be able to stand back and think critically... even if you want to love the game... if it's flawed you have to say so.

Paying customers are less likely to do so.  Buyers remorse is a factor.  So is fanboi-ism. 

Putting (some) pressure on the devs is good... but the right type of pressure.  Having 1000 people who are already paying customers threaten you unless you put "dogs with laser eyes" in the game is not a good thing.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

02/04/15 - Update from the Founders    First, I hope that you guys caught that we put our full team names/pictures/mini-bios on our site earlier this week.  We’re very grateful that we’ve been able

Pretty sure this was previously answered, but we are *NOT* f2p.  It's not the right model for this experience in our view.  More details on the Crowfall business model will come out before the countdo

Shutup and take my money!

When it comes to crowd funding, this will sound a little weird, but I'm already sold on the idea of what you want your game to be, so any reveals about what the game is going to be or anything like that doesn't affect whether I give you any money.

However I think we've seen enough kick starter failures at this point that you should think about answering the bigger questions related to how you'll spend the money.

1. We've seen even small visual novels with tiny budgets fail after a successful kick starter.  The resumes points I've seen talked about previously show you can make games; what are the credentials for running a business here?  

2. We've seen past kick starters end up picked up by larger corporations before, like with Oculus Rift.  You've mentioned vaguely that you don't intend to sell your souls, but what are the most drastic things you can see yourself doing to pick up funding if the KS money runs out?

3. How do you plan to keep the game in operation after It's been released?

4. What happens to the art, assets, and code if the game is ultimately not released?  Will you release it to the community as Camelot claims it will?

5. How scaleable is your design?  Do you know what absolutely has to be in at release versus what doesn't at this point?  The natural response to "when will it be released" is "when it's ready."  But do you have a specific idea of what "ready" means in the context of your game?

6. What types of results would make you define it as an un-releasable failure?  If you put a lot of work into it, it doesn't meet your standards, and you are bereft of additional ways to improve it, will you still release it?

7. You've come up with a lot of stuff already.  Other than what's on the website, what have you made thus far, and how much did it cost?

I'm sure there are some questions there you don't want to answer for various reasons, but I think there is a gist there of what I think is fair for disclosure if you're asking me to invest in your product with no reward other than a completed product (which I will likely spend money on after production anyway.) 

DF beta invites were handled surprisingly well...

They gave out individual invites and gave out multiple invites to guilds that could assign them to their members themselves.

All that was linked the forum accounts, user groups there and so on

poorly made socks actually got tested... fixed, not so much ;)

So will crowdfunding and equity be mutually exclusive or is there any way of entertaining making them inclusive?

Consumer Equity crowdfunding was "legalized" by the Jobs Act, but no rules have been issued on how to actually do it legally.  So as of now, we can't sell equity to consumers, only to "accredited investors" as part of a formal stock offering.  If you are a accredited investor, you should PM either Todd or myself, though we don't have a stock offering open right now.

P.S. Thanks for the correction from "qualified" to "accredited" investor.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

You have my support and money, as long as the game stays true to what you guys created it to be, for the players. As long as it stays true and on course, this game will easily have support from the players, and me as one of them! Thanks for the update!

Yet I have a question. When you sell the equity overseas to investors, are they able to change the game? It does concern me and I would like to have a little more detail, because if they can, they may change why this game was created, and they care more about money in their pocket than the community itself. And they may alter the game for that purpose, but I'm just asking, not accusing, thank you for understanding!

Edited by jimmerharris10

I think you guys will find that a lot of us will back you all.  If people want something for free then they shouldn't be here.  Everything requires money.  You guys gotta eat too.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1. How deep is the character avatar creation customization going to be from a visual standpoint (i.e. facial, hair, height, etc...)?  From looking at the gfx, that have been released so far, it seems the character avatar features seem less malleable than I would expect from an MMO.  If this is the case, can you explain why this path was chosen over more customizable avatar features.

2. For the archetypes, will they be limited to the race that is shown for each one so far?  For example, will all Forgemasters be dwarves or will all Legionnaires be centaurs?  It would be nice to be able to change the race as well.

3. In some of the in game pre-alpha images, it seems as if PC models react to environmental features.  For example, the Forgemaster image that can be found here, shows him standing on a rock unevenly.  This implies that there are very tightly defined hit boxes for these avatars and the underlying terrain/environment.  If this is in fact the case, what kind of performance impact with this have on highly populated PVP and siege battles?

4. In the case of the many campaign worlds, are you worried about player fragmentation?  How will a lowly populated campaign world be merged/migrated to another similar campaign world?  Will those migrated PCs come in naked, will they come in with all the gear and inventory they had in the previous campaign world, potentially creating an imbalance in the campaign they were just migrated to?  How will this work?

5. With regard to the Eternal Kingdoms, are those going to be separate worlds as well or will it be one huge seamless world?

After reading this morning's updated FAQ, I am even more excited about the concepts you guys are putting forth.  Crowfall seems more and more like it could be the game for every type of MMO player.

Thank you.

But bad testers don't give you a solid game.  To test you need to be able to stand back and think critically... even if you want to love the game... if it's flawed you have to say so.

Paying customers are less likely to do so.  Buyers remorse is a factor.  So is fanboi-ism. 

Putting (some) pressure on the devs is good... but the right type of pressure.  Having 1000 people who are already paying customers threaten you unless you put "dogs with laser eyes" in the game is not a good thing.

Who is a bad tester? Everyone but yourself? I don't see how any of us personally can say who is a good or bad tester ... the dev's can make that distinction, but they are smart enough what feedback to use and what might not be. 

Tell me why a person should invest their own money into the development stage and not have the ability to be part of the development in return?

Hey Todd and Gordon,

thank you for all the updates, i am really happy reading about all this stuff. I am glad to hear Crowfall is actually a game made from your vision and not from vision of publishers, hidden investors etc. I believe, with crowdfunding, you will get a good amount of capital, since there is many people like me, who believe in your vision and decisions. I will also support your vision by backing the project with as much money i can afford. Thank you and your whole team for your hard work, cant wait for more info and beta start. 

See you on the battlefield  :D

On the point of having global servers, I think it would be better if this were the case. For insomniacs like me, an NA server at 3am EST would likely be met with only the hunger to face. Additionally, I like meeting people across the globe. It makes the game and the people you meet a lot more interesting.

Who is a bad tester? Everyone but yourself? I don't see how any of us personally can say who is a good or bad tester ... the dev's can make that distinction, but they are smart enough what feedback to use and what might not be. 

Tell me why a person should invest their own money into the development stage and not have the ability to be part of the development in return?

A bad tester is a person who is focused on their own goals and agenda rather than working to improve the game.  You do see this in testing - players finding exploits and NOT reporting them in the hope they can use that exploit in the 'live' game.

Also testers who are destructive to the testing community and process.

Devs can weed out some bad testers... but NOT if they have paid to be there.  Which is my point.

>>Tell me why a person should invest their own money into the development stage and not have the ability to be part of the development in return? 

Because they have faith in the design concept / team and want to see the final product developed?

As an example I backed Elite Dangerous - I saw the game was already well into development and I know the dev team have a solid record.  I was prepared to back the project knowing it was more likely to succeed (be released) than fail.  I had no interest in testing that game.  I felt it might ruin my play experience.

If you don't have faith in the team / concept / design - don't invest.

Edited by gyrus

Consumer Equity crowdfunding was "legalized" by the Jobs Act, but no rules have been issued on how to actually do it legally.  So as of now, we can't sell equity to consumers, only to "qualified investors" as part of a formal stock offering.  If you are a qualified investor, you should PM either Todd or myself, though we don't have a stock offering open right now.

Qualified investor? God I hate corporate America. I am not accredited investor by the EU standards (nor I actually would have to be), yet my local laws as a citizen of Finland and European Union would allow me to invest in you from my side, is this possible if I don't fill the ridiculous standards you have for accredited investors?

Is there any way for an individual to get in on this? I want to support you as much as possible, but throwing $1000 into kickstarter for some silly cosmetic bonuses and beta access isn't really my style. On the other hand, I think this idea can go places, and I'd be very interested in buying $5000-$10000 worth of shares at pre-IPO pricing.

Join the club. :)

Consumer Equity crowdfunding was "legalized" by the Jobs Act, but no rules have been issued on how to actually do it legally.  So as of now, we can't sell equity to consumers, only to "qualified investors" as part of a formal stock offering.  If you are a qualified investor, you should PM either Todd or myself, though we don't have a stock offering open right now.

Ok so what constitutes a "qualified investor"?